• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Action and Mag Lengths?

loveha

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jul 31, 2018
    NW Lower Michigan
    I have the dumb, I know nothing about long actions and compatibility. I have searched for the past couple days, but most the search hits are just links to magazines for sale.
    This is a two part, convoluted question that starts with my fathers 30-06 Savage 110 (Old Flat Back). My father needing a new barrel, but wanting a heavier profile and knowing it wouldn't fit in the stock asked about a chassis. I, have having a HNT26, LSS and Oryx, he is familiar with them, but wanted something more traditional so I showed him the XRS. That brings us to the mag lengths.
    The action only has a 3.6" opening for rounds to enter. The chassis is for 3.850" CIP mags. I initially accidentally ordered a MDT 30-06 mag which is 3.715", then noticed the 3.850" CIP part and confirmed I needed a 3.815" 300WM mag.

My question is will the action need to be milled to allow rounds to feed up correctly? I'm assuming so, max coal will be longer than 3.600" at 3.740". Not sure which way, but I am assuming the back of the receiver will get milled, not the feed ramp.

Second question, can I go the other way? I want to build a 7mm-08 in a long action, Terminus Kratos Lite to be exact. It takes 3.8" mags, but could it go in a regular long action chassis and use 3.715" mags? I see no reason why not, but like I said at the start, I know nothing about long actions.