• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long action Prefit

Outlaw45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2007
Iowa, USA
I have a Bighorn Origin short action and it has worked out good. For my next rifle I'm wanting a long action but haven't decided on caliber. I'm looking at 300PRC, 6mm-06, 300WSM, or 6.5PRC. This is why I'm looking at Bighorn again because of the easy changing of the bolt heads. Has anyone had issues with "short action" cartridges like 300wsm or 6.5prc in a long Origin action?

I'll most likely use a McMillian or Manners stock and I'd like to have it inlet for two different bottom metals if possible. Is there a bottom metal I can use AI style mags and then switch out the bottom metal to another for a bdl style for hunting? I guess I should ask first is can 300wsm or 6.5prc run in a long action AI mag?

hawkins make BDL and DBM, and Hunter DBM in M5 pattern in short, medium, and long. swap around as needed. 1 inlet

if you're focusing on 6.5PRC/WSM i'd look at the medium length Origin, otherwise long for a 300PRC

but yes they can feed in long actions

I’m currently going down this road right now. Have two origin SA and picking up the LA today.

The M5 cut and Hawkins M5 Oberndor is the only way to go if you want bdl and aics options on the same stock.

Hawkins Hunter DBM is nice but the LA is stuck using their Hunter mag that states LA Origins need to be cut to accommodate the COAL. Greyboe has a Hunter LA bottom metal that takes AICS mags, not sure which size.

Unknown Munitions has a great list of what internal box to get.

I'm having a similar bottom metal/magazine issue right now. I've got a Origin with a HS stock and M5 bottom metal, but I've found I hate the magazines when shooting from a benchrest. I was hoping to just find a M5 BDL bottom metal, but the Hawkins only use the extended internal mags which don't fit the Origin action.

I think it would be a better option for me to just stick with once caliber rather than trying to get different sized cartridges work in one box. Getting a 6.5prc or wsm to work in an long AICS box sounds like trouble. Maybe its best to just get another medium sized action. As for a long Origin action in 300prc, I think having a bld style bottom metal would be better in a hunting scenario.