• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Action Receiver for Short Action Caliber?

SN13

Impatient
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
West Palm Beach, FL
Can you effectively use a Long Action receiver for a short action caliber?

Like a LA 30.06 action but for a .308 barrel/ammo?

Or is this really a bad idea?

The m24 did exactly that.
EA940A35-01A6-4F79-AB92-9DCAC7B3A0FA.gif

You could load 308, 7mm-08 and 260 extra long and get the benefits it can provide.

Reactions: SneakyDingo1
I'm building a 7 SAUM on a Defiance XM so I can load a little longer than short action length. 175 Berger..heel just above the shoulder neck junction @ about 3.05" COL.

Always thought this would be a no-brainer for loading long for caliber bullets and retaining repeater functionality.
This would also let you chase the lands and still fit a box mag for a longer time between chamber setbacks, if thats your thing.

Yeah, push feed could make for feed issues...controlled round feed probably the preferred method for this scenario.

I'm hoping one day to upgrade to something longer range later. like a 280 or something.

I just want to know if there are any red flags running a 6.5CM in a TL3 Long Action for now?

Thanks guys.

@SN13 there is zero issues. I use a tl3 long action to shoot 6 dasher without issue.

what magazine do you use?
I haven't built it yet. I can use whatever magazine i need to. What would you recommend?

My PLAN was:

KRG Bravo Chassis
TL3 LA

And then customize the Chassis after that... I'm just not a fan of the skeletonized stocks.

What mag options would that leave me with?

Thansk!

Using a manners mini chassis with aics magazine. I don’t have any problems with the nose diving some people complain of but I did play with the feed lips just a bit. If I hadn’t of gotten to work with just that I would have put the primal rights follower s/a kit and tried to modify it a little to work with l/a

FYI,
the Magpul 30.06 mags are great for feeding your LA. I have a 308 on a long action, for mag feeding the longest .30cal bullets around, and love these Magpul mags - they work great, are tough as heck and don't cost much.

I run several of what you speak, on Tikka T3 actions. While they may not be big ole LA actions, they are certainly bigger than a SA or XM. Right now I currently run a 243win barrel on a 30-06 action and a 25SAUM on a 300WM action. no real problems, both feed fine from LA tikka mags, just gotta swap out the SA bolt stop for a LA and you're set. Makes it nice so you can simply change the bolt stop and have a more potent cartridge if the task at hand needs it.

Well Thanks to everyone, i just bought a TL3 Long Action, Standard Bolt Face.

The wait begins. Gonna be my first "Built" bolt action.

I have a 284 so kind of in between length but it’s built on a crf long action and I have never had a feed issue (I use a win mag aics magazine). It offers the benefit of increased load length and speed for higher bc for cartridge. So for example I run the 284 at 3.225” and can safely get 2800-2900 FPS with 180 eldm.

I have a 284 so kind of in between length but it’s built on a crf long action and I have never had a feed issue (I use a win mag aics magazine). It offers the benefit of increased load length and speed for higher bc for cartridge. So for example I run the 284 at 3.225” and can safely get 2800-2900 FPS with 180 eldm.

Awesome. having the option of running Short Calibers LONG as well as some LONGER calibers if need be, is what I was after.