• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

long action what to do?

Redbeard80

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2008
west coast
I would like to take a mid to long range class in next year and was think about Thunder Ranch because it is close and sounded good. They say no magnum calibers so the 300win. is out and I don't have anything else but a Remington 700 ADL in 270 should I sell it and get a 308 or get the 270 rebarrelled to heavy 30-06 or some other caliber. What do you guys think of 308 or 260 in long actions? Is not having detachable mag going to be a problem in a class or just a pain with 350-400 rounds in 3 days. Thanks

Re: long action what to do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can learn a lot from a .308.........get one! </div></div>
+1

Savage sells a good police tactical in 308 that is cheap and accurate. I have one with a 20in. barrel in a B&C stock that shoots great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can learn a lot from a .308! </div></div>

+1, I learned that they really suck in the wind and not to ever get another one.

lol, i agree. i have a .308 that i havent used in years.

a .30-06 isn't lightyears ahead of the .308, but would make better use of a long action.

the best cartridge for that action for long range would be .280AI in my opinion.

Doubting the 30-06 capabilities just look at what's done with them around here with regular frequency. 190's at 27-2900 (depending on who's loading it) are more than adequate for those ranges.

The 280 is something that I'm starting to think about getting ahold of once I shoot out my current 30-06 barrel. 30 caliber masses, 7mm BC's.

The 284 doesn't quite reach what the 280 can deliver, in a well built rifle the 280 AI would be a serious stick. In a well built rifle a 30-06 is a serious stick though too.

To the original question on functionality. My dad has a 308 built on a Mauser k98, it works decently until he tries to shoot 155 Amax or lighter. They're just too short.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The 284 doesn't quite reach what the 280 can deliver, in a well built rifle the 280 AI would be a serious stick.
</div></div>

what bullet and velocity do you plan for the 280? i am curious what it will do that the .284 in a long action wont.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can learn a lot from a .308! </div></div>

+1, I learned that they really suck in the wind and not to ever get another one. </div></div>

I find some humor in that when looking at your screen name. Not busting your chops, I seriously found it pretty funny.

Anyway, you could fit the 6.5X284 in there and have a pretty decent LR rig.

Geb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The 284 doesn't quite reach what the 280 can deliver, in a well built rifle the 280 AI would be a serious stick.
</div></div>

what bullet and velocity do you plan for the 280? i am curious what it will do that the .284 in a long action wont. </div></div>

The 175's and 180's pickup a little extra velocity, the 280AI is more than likely a little faster still. It's not much, I'm talking 100 fps or a little less for most bullets.

I don't know what real world velocities the AI version gets, I'm basing that assumption on the general trend with AI versions of various 30-06 based variants.

Since I have a long action that's already setup for a 30-06 I would shoot the 280.

There is no reason for a long action for a short cartridge. That myth started with the 257 "Bob" and just will not die. Your ADL 270 will work just fine with proper loads. If you can shoot it well, then use it.
IMO far too many shooters and hunters think they can substitute technology for ability. The guy with the $1000 rig who puts 5000 rounds downrange every year (not from just a bench!) is a far deadlier opponent than the guy with the $8000 rig who shoots 20 rounds on the weekend of a bipod or bench.

IMHO,

You should keep the 270 and spend the $$$ you would have spent on re-tubing, truing + stock + barrel to make it something else. Buy a stock, Remmy 5R, Savage Tac, or Winny HBV in whatever caliber floats your boat. You will be many $$$$ ahead and have an extra rifle.

I've a mate that has a Savage and regularly hot swaps barrels/bolts at the range from a 280AI to a 300WM. Much to be said for that concept.

If were to retube the Remmy I'd turn it into a 30-06. There is great joy when going shot for shot, distance for distance with bubba's running 190's out of a 300WM. I run 210 Bergers or 208 Amax's at 2800fps and can go as far back as the 300WM's driving 190's with less wind and longer barrel life.

Support the economy, buy a new rifle
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

If I was going to shoot a long action rifle, I probably wouldn't make it a 30-06. There are plenty of calibers that have far better performance in this day and age, and if you're building from scratch, you get your choice of whatever you want.

On the other hand if you are going to a school to learn, I would wiegh the fact that you will be shooting quite a few rounds. I would want something readily available especially if I were only going to have one rifle. (Irregardless of going to school or not).
My vote would be to go to a .308 if you are willing to get another rifle, and especially if you are found of what you have in the 270. If not rebarrel to 30.06.

My 2 cents

An ADL is the perfect rifle to convert.

The first .308 Rem 700 sniper rifles for the Army were Long Action builds. About the only argument for the short action concerns feeding smoothness. I wanted to be able to use heavier bullets and have more versatile seating allowance, so I sold my short actions and put the barrels on LA receivers. If you want to try the high ballistic coefficient bullets in your .308, you will need a long action.

You can probably find a PSS or Varmint Special takeoff barrel and an H-S Precision stock and BDL floorplate for under $400. Take your barreled action and new barrel to an accuracy gunsmith and have him pull the .270 barrel and give it back to you after he installs the .308 barrel. It isn't hard to switch barrel. Maybe you can find a takeoff .270 Sendero barrel? That would make a nice combination.

Unless you just want to buy another rifle, (don't let me stop you), your ADL can be converted to a fine longrange performer.

Good luck!

His ADL IS a fine long range rifle. Take a look at the Berger .277 VLDs and tell me why he needs a new rifle for Thunder Ranch course. This is not a 1000 yard match or F Class or benchrest. It is a practical shooting exercise where your ability to shoot, scoot, dope wind and range matter a great deal more than whether your rifle shoots 1/2 or 1 MOA. Has anyone actually read the course description???

Mid-Range Rifle Course
This class takes the student from the end of the muzzle to seven hundred yards in field conditions. The course uses some paper for documentation of zeroing for the scoped rifle but is mostly fired at modest sized steel targets comparable to the size of targets offered to the rifle shooter in hunting and field conditions. Strong emphasis is placed on position shooting, and use of slings and bipods to reproduce field conditions. Recommended calibers are .308, .30-06 types...strongly preferring students to NOT use magnums due to the number of rounds to be fired. Good scopes mounted to a strong action are advisable. The shoot and spot team concept will be used often to mark hits on the steel targets.
No Magnums or Zip guns please.
A nominal 400 rounds of regular match or hunting ammo. No steel core or tracer ammo please.

Redbeard,

Experiment with the 270 first, and see what results you get. I originally took a PR class with my 270, so I know it can be done with a good load. Sierra has their 135 SMK, and Berger makes a 130, 140 and 150 grain VLD hunting bullets. If you want to re-barrel the rifle, the 30-06 and the 280 Rem would be great rounds. There are plenty of match bullet choices in those calibers.

Chad

Thanks for all the response I got the 270 cheap and bought it for the action. I am not say the 270 is bad I have never shot it is brand new. I was thinking I would be better off putting my money into a good barrel and truing the action than a 308 factory gun since I had this 270. The coarse does only go to 700yds but the fundamentals are their I hope. I will be shooting to 1000-1200yds what kind of barrel life would a 280ai get vs a 30-06 or what about a 30-06ai don't you gain a 100fps with the heavy bullets is that worth it? By the way looking at this 270 it is not Remington best work the sights are not centered on top of the barrel and their customer service didn't want to help much.

Can you shoot MOA groups from a bipod at 500 yards with a rifle?
1000-1200 yd shooting is a very, very long way and the shooter and spotter are far more important than the caliber. (and BTW you won't be using the iron sights!)
Obviously you can do whatever you want, but were it me, I'd buy a set of Lee dies and shoot the hell out of that 270 until you can pass the 500 yard test. Until you can, spending money on technology won't do much to improve your shooting.
You didn't even mention optics which, again, are far more important than the bore diameter.
$800 rifle, $2000 scope, 1/2 MOA to 400, 1 MOA to 800 if I do my part (7.62 NATO)

tikka22250.jpg

sell the action. buy a remington 5-R

You can give me the action to build a tubb gun switch barrel in 30-06 and 284win...... It will goto good use....

You can build a 284win or 30-06 and have a kick ass rifle. GOod barrel life with eather. 190gr VLDS or 185gr Lapua D46's At 2850+ FPS and 175gr SMKS (7mm bullets) at 2850+ FPS...

Mr.Humble I can hold my 300win. savage at or under 1 moa if I do my part on the judging wind at 500. I will probably re-barrel the 270 and have it trued. I think that a good barrel and trued action I will be money ahead that I can put into optics. I was thinking about having RWSgunsmithing do the work what do you guys think of those Brux Barrels. Thanks, also what about the barrel life on a 280AI I mean like 4000 or 2000 rounds.

If you have a LA and you are jonesin to build a rifle.

Look at the 284 win or the 30/284 win.

While I am an advocate of the .308 and practice, practice, practice. The 308 in a LA isn't something that I would recommend nor see a need for.

I also wouldn't over look the 280 remmy. I had long discussions with Lonnie from Hornady. I spent 3 days shooting beside him. He did 2 years of research and collecting data based on the 280. He improved the shoulder a bit ( AI ish ) and all his data showed that it was the near perfect case capacity for the 160-175 7mm bullets. The barrel life will just fall short of the '06 but not much.

Avoid what humble says he talks but hasn't shown proof of any ability to do what he says. He pays guys to give his results.

I would love to see his 8" groups at 800 yards with that rifle prone from the bipod. Matter of fact I'll drive to Cora and video tape it just so we have current data.
It ain't happening.

A pathological liar and deadbeat is an excellent source of advice.
Probably should stay out of WY given those who are wanting to talk to him about the golf course dude ranch "guide" service. LMFAO!!!

What a'int happening is any truth from this guy.

I would recommend that you rebarrell your current rifle, but I would not go with a 30-06. My preference is the 6.5x55. Excellent long range round. If you reload, you can get ballistics similar to many wildcats, and if not, there is still a lot of relatively cheap surplus ammo for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A pathological liar and deadbeat is an excellent source of advice.
Probably should stay out of WY given those who are wanting to talk to him about the golf course dude ranch "guide" service. LMFAO!!!

What a'int happening is any truth from this guy. </div></div>

Stellar grammar and spelling from a publisher. The only smoke and mirrors is the data you so readily provide with nothing to back it with. But we've grown used to that. Errr.. I mean you published a book of someone else's data so I guess that means it's yours. Err.. well... um....wait, what???

OK, ok... post those same 5 pictures you do. That'll help. I love your sig. line. Fits you to a "T"
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Facts are nice but perceptions are all that count"</div></div>
I must caution a warning. I would worry about the perception you shower us with.

I do get many calls from Wyo. People wanting to talk. Wanting some information. You know about the honey holes, bone findings, spike camp locations. I mean damn I have this Ram that lives in this one basin in area 2. Shit the phone rings constantly about his location. I just can't seem to let that go. Just in case I draw the tag.

You've heard it all before I'm sure. From the outfitter you hired to take you hunting in Wyo. Now that's funny.

As for golf. Care to embark on a few holes of sniper golf. You know, shot for shot? You can even use that fancy .308 you have pictured.

Damn, I love being on your ignore list.

Back on topic.

I gotta concur with the 6.5X55 swede. That is a fine caliber.

Thats what I love about this hobby. There is no perfect caliber/rifle/parts. Its like building cars. You have Chevy, Ford, Mopar.....none are the best, most perfect, end-all, winners-by choice. It all comes down to the money you spend, parts you pick, skills you have. Just about everone here will tell you the caliber they have is the best one, or the caliber they "want" would be better. If your rifle can punch consistent holes, your sights track, and most important, THE SHOOTER CAN SHOOT IT, then you have THE best rifle...for you.

I have a 30-06 ADL. My reason, it was on sale at walmart. Not the best, best for me?..sure. Can I shoot it? I do well. I can get brass for it, the caliber is .308, easily found rounds (at least it use to be). My scope works, it tracks, it will shoot an inch consistently, or better. It is reliable, and comfortable. The 30-06 has been done, many times. So I know its an established round.

Wait a minute...I have the perfect rifle.....FOR ME.

And I am at the $900 mark for all I have put into it including the cost of the rifle. When I am done I will be at around 1300-1400. New bbl, base and rings, maybe a brake.

Well said. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! My next project (parts in hand) is a Marlin XLS camo in 270, with a bargain Burris green 30MM TAC 3-9 w/BDC, one piece Talley mount and Versa Pod. "The Po-Boy Tac rifle" Whole rig should come in under a grand. When I wear out the 270, it will retubed with a fast twist 280 Rem to shoot VLDs.

pop_wm_1143956.jpg

FFII_tactical2_04.jpg