• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Long distance range finder

dreamlander

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
North Dakota, USA
I am looking for something that can consistently range a deer at over 1000yds. I know everyone talks about the leica or the swaro. I have used the swaro and it is very nice but it isn't going to range a deer much past 550 yds. Money really isn't the factor at this point I just want to know how good some of stuff out there is. Don't they make any spotting scopes with a laser range finder built in?, if they don't why not?
Oh and I already have a range finding reticle in my NF, but it is kind of hard to guess an animal's exact body size, and exact counts a lot at 1000yds.
thanks for any info

Re: Long distance range finder

http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Newcon-LRB25000-Long-Range-Laser-Range-Finder.html

Price didn't matter to me either so I bought 3 just in case the batteries wore out...
crazy.gif

No, he's shooting AT deer. Actually SHOOTING a deer at that range borders on criminal. If you want to hunt, brag about how CLOSE you were, not how far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, he's shooting AT deer. Actually SHOOTING a deer at that range borders on criminal. If you want to hunt, brag about how CLOSE you were, not how far. </div></div>

I'm not going to pass judgements or make rules in this forum. Given the preamble for this site is "For the serious Tactical Marksman" Why don't you let the original poster of this thread decide that for himself?

There are many many threads in both the hunting(Sniper's Hide Hunting) and "Beyond 1000 yards" of shooting animals at ranges to a mile. Posts in other sites discuss(http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/longrange_shooting/shooting_hunting.htm) sucessfull elk hunts involving shots at 1000 yards up to two decades ago. Since then, equipment, technique and knowlege has improved manyfold.

The original poster mentions a scope(NF that he owns) thats likely usefull in a expensive and time consuming endeavor like this.In addition mentions "exact counts at 1000 yards" which is different from someone wanting to sling .223 from his AR-15 to 1000 yards or other such foolishness, to shoot deer.

If a hunter has reasonable certainty of an accurate killing shot(practice) with little chance of loosing the game(circumstance and parameters of the shot).It's no different, in fact may be more certain, than the average hunter in the field with his 30-30 who is still on his first box of wall-mart ammo after 15 years.

Criminal??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreamlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for something that can consistently range a deer at over 1000yds. I know everyone talks about the leica or the swaro. I have used the swaro and it is very nice but it isn't going to range a deer much past 550 yds. Money really isn't the factor at this point I just want to know how good some of stuff out there is. Don't they make any spotting scopes with a laser range finder built in?, if they don't why not?
Oh and I already have a range finding reticle in my NF, but it is kind of hard to guess an animal's exact body size, and exact counts a lot at 1000yds.
thanks for any info </div></div>

Why do you need to tag a Deer that far away, they don't shoot back, that I know of. Fieldcraft ain't that hard to learn, if I can get within 5 yds of one at my age, anyone can.

I said I want a rangefinder that will range a deer at 1000yds, then I will know they are that far away. I am not planning on sitting back and taking shots that i don't think I can make. I like long range hunting because of area I live in you often have a chance at far shots. I shot a doe in the head last year at 670 yds. I guess it was pretty cool to me. I also enjoy bow hunting, just 2 different things. I am not sure what you guys do with your guns, but I like to hunt. I also want a good range finder for use at the range. That way I can range the target at 1000yds+ with out a wall by the target. So for the sake of the thread lets just say I want to range a "deer" sized target. I intended to start a conversation about range finders, not hunting ethics. I just want a nice ranger finder. Anyone have any experience with the Newcon LRB 3000?

I have a Newcon 2000 and while I have not ranged a deer I have ranged a cow at that distance. It's iffy but a clear and stable rest along with a LIPO battery goes a long way.

Ross

Leica Vector Rangefinding Binos if money isn't really the factor, best of both worlds. Agree with Cory though it takes much more skill to get within spittin distance of your prey, no matter what kind it is, human or otherwise.

my swaro ranges to well over 1k on organic targets. i've gotten hits over a mile in the field. falling rain or snow will make it stupid, tho.

If you can't range deer with your swaroski at 550 yards something is wrong with it! I ranged deer this year at 700 no problem. As for shooting that far, 500 yards some guys here in Pa shoot deer 3 times that far! There is a small group of guys here that will nock deer off up to 2000 and farther! As long as you use a spoter shot your going to get that deer! Ofcourse this does reqire above avarge reloads and shooting, but can be done with some ease. Most guys take head shots up to 700 yards as to not waist meat. These are also pretty big guns used too, 7/300 weatherby, 338/378, 338/300 ultra, 300 ultra, 7 stw and some other big calibers but yes it can be done.

buy the real stuff....

hey guys:
Buy a Simrad LP7 (old stuff but stiff strong)for $7000 and range the village next to yours and the cow crossing its streets......
OR spend the same ammount as NEWCON and buy the real stuff SIMRAD LP10 and see your wife seeing your targets while you shhot at home though the WWW and a IP address.
GO SIMRAD

http://www.vinghog.com/vinghog/products/electro-optics/laser-rangefinder/lp10/

Re: buy the real stuff....

I've heard the new Zeis Bino RF are top notch. Some have replaced their swaros and leicas with it and say it's better. I have the swaros and have been able to range to 914 on a mulie. I ranged other things further but thats the furthest on game. I'm gonna get to check out the Zeis next weekend so I can post a quick comparo of them with the swaro.