• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Long kill shots????

natesguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Missouri
Took this small 8 point at 318 yrds, AI MKII .308 using 175 grain sierras over 45 grains of RE-15. Shot had it's difficulties as any hunting situation would. First time I've ever had the chance to take a shot on a deer at a range over 200 yards. I know this isn't a big deer or is the range all that impresive, but I was intrested in other long range shots on whitetails with .30 caliber rifles and was curious on how what the limit may be. Looking forward to what turns up.

mh58yc.jpg

Re: Long kill shots????

Not with a 30cal, but I took my longest shot on a deer saturday. Shot a Muley Doe at 265yds with my 6mm Remington 105gr A-max Handloads. Longest shot before that was 170yds with my 06.
I'm sure there are a lot more guys on here that are shooting them consistently at +500yds though

100_1958.jpg

I took a White Tail doe yesterday evening with a high shoulder shot at 690yd. DRT .308 launching a 168gr Amax at 2808 fps elevation was 1100ft.

I shoot a .308 and killed a mulie deer buck at 500 this year and the second week of October I killed a bull elk at 950. If you go though my posts, you can see pics

Not .30 cal, but 529 on an antelope w/130 grain core lokt over 52 grains 414 powder. This was with an old style Weaver K4. I'm going back to fixed power for hunting. Simple, effective, reliable and works out to hunting distances.