• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long nosed punches

packratt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2005
VA
Anyone have any ideas where I can find some 3/8", 7/16", and 1/2" Pin punches with a tip length of at least 3in?

I've got a pivot pin rusted into the eye of a hydraulic cylinder I need to pull for repair. Location is not conducive to heating or cutting with a torch and there isn't enough clearance for a seawall or anglehead to cut pin.

As built it is a blind pin but I've drilled a hole through the tube frame to reach the fund to drive it out. The only long enough hardened bolt I could get my hands on today was 3/8 and it was bending while I was hammering on it.

Anyone have any ideas where I can find some 3/8", 7/16", and 1/2" Pin punches with a tip length of at least 3in?

I've got a pivot pin rusted into the eye of a hydraulic cylinder I need to pull for repair. Location is not conducive to heating or cutting with a torch and there isn't enough clearance for a seawall or anglehead to cut pin.

As built it is a blind pin but I've drilled a hole through the tube frame to reach the fund to drive it out. The only long enough hardened bolt I could get my hands on today was 3/8 and it was bending while I was hammering on it.
Try McMaster-Carr

Reactions: greg1147
That was the second place I checked. I can find the 3/8 at McMaster, Grainger, and msc. I'm striking out on 7/16 and 1/2 with a long nose

Do you have an old shock absorber laying around? Could take the rod out of that, cut the ends off and use it as a punch. They are pretty hard.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
The 3/8 Starrett is extremely tough. I have never bent one but I haven't used more than a 4lb hammer with them either.

Dasco. The blue ones with white writing on them.

I'm going to assume that you can't weld on a nut, and just screw-on the end of a slide-hammer to PULL the pin out? That's what I/we did in the sawmill, on the old-style tapered keys and such.

Quite surprising what you can do with a slide hammer.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Mayhew. Price is very good. They make a lot of punches and chisels for Matco, Mac and snap on.

I'm going to assume that you can't weld on a nut, and just screw-on the end of a slide-hammer to PULL the pin out? That's what I/we did in the sawmill, on the old-style tapered keys and such.

Quite surprising what you can do with a slide hammer.
On the other side I was able to use of the hooks on my 5lb slide hammer, hooking the anchor tab. On this side the tab is almost broken off and there is too much flammable stuff and a spaghetti of hydraulic lines to strike an arc.

I've drilled a hole and can get a punch to the end of the pin if I have a long enough punch.

McMaster had a 1/2 that was shorter than I wanted but long enough to get the pin to move about 1/2". Then I got one of the starret 3/8 to get it most of the way.

Long ass air chisel punches have saved my ass a time or two

Many times i just buy a long grade 8 bolt for use as a punch. Grind the end down to whatever shape you think is best and get to pounding. Ive bent 1, but you gotta try and fuck it up.