• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long OAL in 6.5 Grendel Bolt Action

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    I'm contemplating a short-action build in 6.5 Grendel using MDT's AICS-pattern magazine for the 6MM ARC and 6.5 Grendel. Due to the extra room I'll get from a standard short-action and SA magazine, I'm also contemplating a custom chamber throat that will let me load 130g to 140g bullets way up into the neck of the case (extra long COAL)

I know this isn't a popular route with this cartridge, but I'm also curious if anyone has done it. If so, I'm hoping for your experiences with possibly increased velocities as well as improved (or degraded) feeding reliability. Any insights, criticisms, or judgements would be appreciated.

Cheers

SAAMI-COAL-500x320.jpg

Last edited:
    Stick with SAAMI chamber but load long. The 130gr Berger Hybrid is the heaviest id go. I load to 2.360” just fine and get roughly 2520 from a 20” which is very good considering the small case size. If you want more velocity but don’t want to trade BC then go the 6mmARC route or better yet…do a 6mmGT since you mentioned a short action not a micro action like a Howa Mini. I have a 16” 6mmGT for my Sig Cross and it feeds remarkably well and I’m running 108gr ELD-M’s to 2750 fps from that 16”.

Reactions: glock24