• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range 16inch .308??

sweetbeard

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2010
I needed a compact bolt gun in .308 to shoot out to about 500yds.
But recently I signed up for a long range shooting class and we will be engaging targets out to about 1k yds.
with match grade ammo will I just be chasing my tail using a 16inch gun.
we are not shooting for groups but hits on steel. and lets assume this gun is MOA at 100yds..
Gun in question is 16inch savage 10 with accutrigger!

thx

SB

DSC04583.jpg

Re: Long Range 16inch .308??

You should be able to make hits at 1k.... You will have less fps because of the shorter barrel so you will have to account for more elev etc. Other than that wont be an issue

You will chase your tail and not get accurate hits at 1k as a new shooter. You might manage 1 to 3 hits out of 10 shots depending on the wind, if they let you shoot that far with a short rifle.

The key is the muzzle velocity, and where the class is located. If they are well above sea level, you'll fair better, especially in hot temperatures, but anything at sea level or under 1000ft would be a struggle for you.

It's not a beginners tool, you can expect less than 2500fps out of it, do the math using JBM, find where you hit 1120fps that is the max effective range of your rifle, however as a new shooter, you really want to be closer to 1200fps for any consistency. Especially when you throw in wind, that will toss that sub sonic round all over with no predictability.

1 MOA At 100 is meaningless as no one goes up by 1MOA increments from there, a 1 MOA gun at 100 can be a 45" or worse gun especially sub sonic.

THX for the replies. I am not a new shooter.
I spent 5 years in the Marines and regularly shoot Iron sights out to 400yds..

Shooting past 600yds is the really new thing, the class is in OR.
in july.

Guess I will see about getting the fastest match rounds I can scrounge up ( :

I have a 308 shorty with a 16.5" barrel with a 1 in 8 twist. It shoots the 155 Lapua Scenar at 2750 fps at 1600' in elevation and at 45 degrees F. According to my ballistics: at 1000 yards the bullet is still traveling at 1318 fps. I have yet to shoot this rifle at 1000 yards yet, but I have had acceptable results (to my expectations) at 600 yards, click the link below to see my results. With all that being said a 16 inch 308 would not be my first or second choice for 1000 yard targets.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2532414#Post2532414

My daughter shoots a 14.5 inch Savage PC out to 800yds with good results. She has not shot it any farther we will be trying that next month finally. We use handloads that have a 175smk moving at 2600fps or so. This particular rifle seems to have a faster barrel/chamber my LTR in .308 is on average 25fps slower with the same load, and it has a 20 inch barrel. I have a 300wm set up for her though for the 1000yd shoot because I think the short .308 may have problems getting there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bribri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 308 shorty with a 16.5" barrel with a 1 in 8 twist. It shoots the 155 Lapua Scenar at 2750 fps at 1600' in elevation and at 45 degrees F. According to my ballistics: at 1000 yards the bullet is still traveling at 1318 fps. </div></div>

The issue is not supersonic - the issue is transonic.

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2011/01/cartridges-1000-yard-308-load.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bribri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 308 shorty with a 16.5" barrel with a 1 in 8 twist. It shoots the 155 Lapua Scenar at 2750 fps at 1600' in elevation and at 45 degrees F. According to my ballistics: at 1000 yards the bullet is still traveling at 1318 fps. </div></div>

The issue is not supersonic - the issue is transonic.

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2011/01/cartridges-1000-yard-308-load.html</div></div>
9H, with that being said. that 155 should remain extremely stable through the transonic barrier. the wind is gonna kick his ass all over the place at that point, but thats the trade you get with a shorty

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pappy83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My daughter shoots a 14.5 inch Savage PC out to 800yds with good results. She has not shot it any farther we will be trying that next month finally. We use handloads that have a 175smk moving at 2600fps or so. This particular rifle seems to have a faster barrel/chamber my LTR in .308 is on average 25fps slower with the same load, and it has a 20 inch barrel. I have a 300wm set up for her though for the 1000yd shoot because I think the short .308 may have problems getting there. </div></div>

14.5" 175 smk at 2600fps... that's flying I have a hard time hitting 2600 with my 20" lol

Sense you have a Savage, why not buy a new barrel for it?
You can always go back to the short one once you finish the class and hone the skills they taught you.
Curt

Or I could just bring the OLE AR-10T but that thing isn't threaded for a can yet.

in regards to buying a new barrel, well I am broke, 400 rnds match .308 ammo costs alot of coin.

smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Netz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sense you have a Savage, why not buy a new barrel for it?
You can always go back to the short one once you finish the class and hone the skills they taught you.
Curt </div></div>

Jon,
Want to use the 10FP you sold me a while back
grin.gif

Was thinking of taking it out to Dan's for a quick thread job soon,or i could loan you the spare Rem.700 i have sitting in the safe.
RK

LOLZ
lets drop it off at TT and I will brake it in for ya at 1200 yds ( :

I would go with a 18-18.75" scout length and use 168's. Just my opinion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sweetbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOLZ
lets drop it off at TT and I will brake it in for ya at 1200 yds ( : </div></div>

Mike seems to pretty busy these days with a fair wait to get in otherwise i would go that route.
Why,you have an in to get it done quicker ....