• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing long range 308 hunting bullet

badshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
South Arkansas
I will have a hunting lane over 600yds long this deer season. What are the recommended bullets for taking a whitetail deer at that range? Will the normal corelokts and Hornady spire points work or do I need to use something like an accubond or gameking? I mention these cause that is what I have and have well shooting loads for these.

Re: long range 308 hunting bullet

Try the Hornady AMAX in 168 grain - has a hollowpoint covered by a plastic ballistic tip for accurate flight, yet decent expansion.

I have not hunted with them, yet.

If the Amaxs shoot good in your gun, that is what I would go with, from what I have seen they flat out kill and shoot great out of my Remmy 308.

IMG_1275.jpg

Accuracy and precision trumps all else. 600 yards is tough shot under most field conditions. Practice it until you can hit a 10" circle every time. I would use the most accurate bullet your rifle will shoot.....the buck above was killed at 470 meters with a .308 shooting 155 Scenars. One shot took out both lungs and left a 2" exit hole.

Wait for a perfect shot and know that you can make it!!

IMG_0398.jpg

Another buck taken with my Surgeon .308 by one of my hunters at 600 meters...same thing, broadside lung shot with complete penetration. 155 Scenar.

While the Sceners and Matchkings will work, they can be very inconsistent. AMAX's and Bergers have proven to be much more consistent in regards to expansion/fragmentation.

I know most of you guys reload, but for those looking for off the shelf ammo I have had good luck with Remington Premiere Scirocco bonded 165gr.

Took my new SPS Tactical out yesterday.

1:12" twist barrel, 20"

Once again the Hornady Match A-max was half the group size of the Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr SMK.

Suprisingly, the Prvi Partizan 168gr HPBT Match ammo came in second, when the barrel was very hot, and third when the barrel was cold/mildly warm.

I think I am going to begin reloading again soon. And I'll be loading the A-Max bullet.

IMG_1242.jpg

Heres a buck we took last fall. Taken with a GAP .308 shooting 165 Nosler Accubonds at 370 meters. John also shot a really heavy 6X6 bull elk with the same rifle and load just a few days earlier.

+1 on 600 yds being a long ways under field conditions.

So much can go wrong that your bullet may be one of the least of your worries. The SMK's work for me as do the Amax's but practice, practice and practice until you can shoot the 10" circle with confidence every time. Harder than you think as the yards add up!

It's also amazing how much deer move around when you are trying to aim and distance seems to magnify the problem. If you can't hit where you aim, the bullet matters little. Wounding an animal because you took a shot you should not have is the wrong thing to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will have a hunting lane over 600yds long this deer season. What are the recommended bullets for taking a whitetail deer at that range? </div></div>

If your lanes are like ours, 600 yards is a pipe dream. The shot isnt going to be the hard part. The hard part is getting the Buck to stop and pose. Good luck.

175 Berger VLD's would be my choice for a .308 at 600 yards.

Has anyone tried the Accubond bullet from Nosler? I am planning a Mule Deer hunt and I'm looking for results compared to the Partition? Your thoughts?

+1 for the amax...i have killed several deer at over 400 with them and they worked perfect...

Be careful using amax's I have shot my share of deer with them. But at distance and close range if you hit a bone they will fragment on the surface. Shot a buck last fall at 437 yards and it gernaded on the surface. If you are comfortable with your rifle try to take neck shots. Will drop them and penetration is not an issue. Nosler ballistic tip 168gr. has a good bc and holds together well. Just my two cents.

I've used 178gr A-Max's with great success. The deer I've harvested using that round have all dropped on the spot. I've yet to track one.

Of course, it's all about shot placement. A solid double lung shot regardless of what round you use will drop most bambi's on the spot.

I use 155 A-Max's for paper, but 150 gr Nosler Accubonds for hunting. I use the exact same load for both. Accuracy difference is negligible for use on big game, but I do use different downrange data.

I've found the Accubonds provide more consistent accuracy than the Nosler Partitions, in my rifles.

I trust the Accubonds more than the A-Max's for hunting game.

YMMV.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TaylorM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be careful using amax's I have shot my share of deer with them. But at distance and close range if you hit a bone they will fragment on the surface. Shot a buck last fall at 437 yards and it gernaded on the surface. If you are comfortable with your rifle try to take neck shots. Will drop them and penetration is not an issue. Nosler ballistic tip 168gr. has a good bc and holds together well. Just my two cents. </div></div>

Per Nosler,the Ballistic Tip and the Accubond both have the same BC,my experience with the Ballistic Tip(green tip)is that they explode even on smaller targets,great varmint bullets though,I use the Accubond for Big Game.

I've been using 150 grain Nosler SSTs in my 308 running around 2950 that shoot great groups out to 300. I've shot deer out to 500 with accubonds with my 300 WSM and I'm planning on using my 308 more this year. I've shot deer with Matchkings and seen some weird results if you hit bone.

Would you stay with the SSTs, use the accubonds, or shoot the Bergers?

Here is a quick summary of the bullets that I have used:

Berger VLD Hunting - Good penetration even if it hits bone, complete expansion (reminds me of a Sierra GameKing). And obviously these pills shoot great. Have used from 75 to 550 yards on Antelope, Mule Deer and Whitetails.

Sierra GameKing - Great performance and lots of expansion. Have used out to 200 yards.

Nosler Partition - One of the all time greats. Expansion and penetration both. Used out to 250 yards.

Nosler Accubond - My favorite hunting bullet. Great penetration, expansion, bullet stays together and a hole on both sides. Used out to 450 yards.

Hornady SST - Horrible penetration and explosive expansion. I know a lot of guys use this bullet but I have not had good experiences with it. Used from 100 to 375 yards.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the information and I'm leaning towards the 165 grain Accubond with 46 grains of Varget and a BR2. Does anyone have any experience with this load?

scan0010-1.jpg

This bull was killed with that load....165 AB, 45grs. Varget, BR2, Lapua brass...shot was 268 meters.

That'a an awesome bull and looked like the bullet did a great job on him. I'm headed to get some 165 ABs and load some at 46 grains of Varget. I'm sure they will shoot fine and I plan on whacking some deer with them long range! I shot a deer at 500 yards with a 180 grain AB out of my 300WSM and it didn't take a step. I'll get the video on youtube later.

I played with the Accubond a while back when Nosler was messing around with a 175. I still have some here. They were never for sale and is pretty much the same as the 180. I shot an Elk with it out of my 308 and it did the job just fine. One shot in the right place will solve anything. They do penetrate very well but the negative that I ran into was that the 308 reall didn't have enough juice to peel the bullet open that much. I feel it's a much more effective bullet in a magnum cartridge like the WM. I have photo's of the internal results. While it did do it's job from the standard 180g Nosler BT and up has a thicker jacket and is made for larger game. I've found much worse wound channels and much larger exit holes on deer with it than the AB. Again.............They all work on deer if you put it where it belongs.

For soft skinned critters like deer a ton of penetration really isn't required and the majority of bullets used will find their way out the other side of a broad side shot.

I would consider the 185 Berger. It's not talked about much here but offers performance results beyond the 155 and 175. My list would include:

Berger

Hornady

Nosler
168 BT
180 BT

Sierra Game King
Hell they all work!

If you want to hit them hard at 500 and less there are plenty of those out there as well. 155's and less really rule the roost in my book for the shorter ranges. I have killed dozens of deer with the Nosler 125g BT. 125's + BLC-2 + Magnum primers will flat level one iside of 300. Chances are it wont exit!.....There is also a large chance a doe will disconnect from planet earth when you hit her in the shoulder. Try it and see. I would recommend you get the camera roll'n before you let it fly. Your going to want to watch it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longhunter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried the Accubond bullet from Nosler? I am planning a Mule Deer hunt and I'm looking for results compared to the Partition? Your thoughts? </div></div>

It has been a few years ago, but one year i hunted with 160g accubonds and 160g partions out of my 7wsm both were within 25fps of each other and few with a few inches of each other to 300yds my max range back then.

that year i took 1 elk and half a dozen deer. i shot the elk with the partion at 220yds, it did like it was supposed to do, penetrated both sholders and didnt open up much. then a few weeks later i went to texas and shot a bunch of deer i switched off between the 160 partiton and 160g accubond, all the deer died, however i notcied larger exit holes from the accubonds they seemed to open up more. i no longer use those 2 bullets anymore, i got over the hype that you need these bonded, or super tough stout bullets to kill a deer and now shoot them with all types of bullets depeneding on my mood that day.

i would have reservations about shooting deer at 500yds with the accubond or partion, i just dont think the 308 has enough juice to get the bullets to open up. plus deer really dont need such well constructed penerationing bullets.

1 bullet over the years that i was impressed with has been the 150g .308 Hornady interbond, you dont see it mentioned alot here but one of my good buddies shoots alot of game with that bullet in his 300wsm, in fact he loads it not only for himself but also 3 other guys and his dad shoots them in his 308. just looking at the dead critters it opens up faster and more than accubonds or partitions. i know his 300 has more zip than the 308 but i would have no reservations with that bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scan0010-1.jpg

This bull was killed with that load....165 AB, 45grs. Varget, BR2, Lapua brass...shot was 268 meters. </div></div>

Nice trophy there.

What are the specs on the rifle?

Rifle is a GAP build..Surgeon action, Barlein #4 Bull Sporter bbl 1-11" A5 Edge, Badger rings Badger M4 bottom metal, S&B 3-12X50 PMII mil/mil, P3 reticle...and of course a Montana Sling!!(grin). John has had good luck with the set up. I have the exact same set up but with a McMillan Remington Hunter stock. Wish now I would have gone with the A5 Edge....and maybe Badger M5 bottom metal.

Berger 185's. Berger recommends 1800fps min for proper terminal performance, with a ballistics program the max effective range should be pretty straightforward (energy aside)

I have had a perfect record shooting 180 gr SST's, a couple years back, I shot a nice 3 pt mule deer. The only shot the terrain would allow, was from 904 yds with about a 40 degree depression angle. The first shot hit him perfectly, and all he did was stagger and stiffen, just to be sure I quickly sent another downrange, another hit, that one sent him to the ground, he never got up. I've shot several deer and elk with the SST, and never have they gotten far.

I am just starting to work up a med-long range load for deer out of my 308. This thread really answered some questions. Thanks guys!

Those are some damn fine elk and deer too!

Eddie,
I heard that you are coming to town this weekend. We need to get together and shoot some deer long range this year. We can discuss it over some doves!

I have used the 150 ballistic tips in the 308 on deer with great results, even with short range shots. I am thinking of moving to the 150 Accubond though, and I am pretty sure it would still expand reliably at 600 yards.