• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper’s Hide Cup Long range and map and compass for time...

PJ14962

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2020
Is there any kind of event out there that combines multiple movements (like a course) with map and compass to get to a specific shooting location, locate the correct target, and then hit it from long range before proceeding to the next shooting location and target in the same manner for time?

Maybe someone does that on a very small scale, but I'm not aware of anything large outside of military training. Mammoth requires teams to find targets but not FFPs. It seems tough to do from a logistical standpoint. You would need a lot of land for navigation, surrounded by a lot more land for targets, and a lot of time. Shooters would have to be far enough away from each other to avoid seeing others at the FFPs that they ultimately would need to "find," which means the event would take a LONG time for the hiking. I'm not sure how you would keep score without having ROs there giving away the positions. With GPS in seemingly every electronic device these days, it would be hard to police that as well.

Is there any kind of event out there that combines multiple movements (like a course) with map and compass to get to a specific shooting location, locate the correct target, and then hit it from long range before proceeding to the next shooting location and target in the same manner for time?
New Zealand deerstalkers has started doing this. Biathlon is normally skiing and shooting but we dont have a lot of snow here. So its navigate and shoot with hunting rifles.

Land is stupid expensive and the government is placing massive restrictions on firearms license holders so I dont know if it will really take off unfortunately

Reactions: TACC

Intense.

• Match duration: roughly 24-40 hours
  • 2-man teams
  • Rough high desert terrain
  • No support crew will be permitted.
  • Field shooting challenges include long-range shooting, precision shooting, assault stages, target identification and shoot/no-shoot decisions, and related problems
  • Approximate maximum target distances: rifle 1500 yards; carbine 500; pistol 100
  • Unknown, various, and non-standard target sizes
  • Challenges may include lock picking, escape and evasion, radio communications, basic codebreaking, problem solving, physical field tasks, basic climbing, signalling, surveillance, etc
  • Almost all targetry will be reactive armor steel plate
  • "Appriximate Minimum Round Count": Long-range rifle 80; carbine 120; pistol 80 each.

Thank you for the replies, everyone, as well as the info on what you already know is out there. I knew there had to be something similar, but I hadn't heard about it.

Here are some thoughts on one I'd like to start, taking into account questions you've raised and/or suggestions you've made. Looks like it will a little less intense than that Sniper Adventure challenge...

It would certainly be small to start. I know a lot of people with a lot of land and varied terrain in Colorado that would work well. Hilly terrain that would provide adequate backstops that could make possible a course that doesn't have to be purely linear to avoid exposing anyone to someone else's line of fire. Could also have shooting positions/targets alternate directions so you're always shooting away from where someone could be.

As was mentioned by MCHOG, logistics could be a bear, but I think manageable. The starting point would be away enough from where everyone would congregate so no one would see a shooter leave to the first position, and the direction that people finish in could also be located elsewhere. It wouldn't be too hard to keep those waiting to go away from the start and finish and set the course so that the terrain will mask everyone's movements. We'd have a guy that would act as an RO/scorekeeper just move with the shooters from point to point. That would probably take care of any potential GPS issues, and he would have SA on what the course's big picture is. If anyone was way off the proper heading or overshoots their next position towards a shooting lane, he could give them an assist before they reached a potentially dangerous area. He'd also call hits, which would be on painted steel and easy to tell. If you miss, the penalty is X number of seconds until you can fire again, which would be timed by this RO/scorekeeper. With variable conditions, that would make it really important to make the first one count, since you aren't moving until you hit. These RO/scorekeepers would cycle so they can rest. I think about three or four fit guys moving with little weight should be able to handle it.

Time-wise it would be done over a weekend, and each guy would have a scheduled time to go that would be determined randomly. Maybe a Saturday and Sunday morning so that hopefully no one gets totally boned by afternoon winds, or have everyone go in the afternoons so everyone has to deal with the wind. There could be a smaller course to shoot or some kind of pistol comp to do on the opposite day of your rifle course, as well.

And an awards party at the end, of course...

I'm from a ski town in Colorado that has stuff going on every single weekend from Memorial Day to Labor Day (without covid-19, that is...) There's a Mustang rally, car racing, balloon festivals, whitewater festivals, concerts, etc... I'd like to schedule it during one of those weekends so that during everyone's off time there's a nice place to go and stuff to see and do when you're not shooting or hanging with the other shooters. If the right land could be arranged, shooters could have the option of camping in one area where all the meetings would take place and the party would be at the end.

Thoughts?

New Zealand deerstalkers has started doing this. Biathlon is normally skiing and shooting but we dont have a lot of snow here. So its navigate and shoot with hunting rifles.

Land is stupid expensive and the government is placing massive restrictions on firearms license holders so I dont know if it will really take off unfortunately
Sorry to hear about the woes down there. I know a lot of Kiwis here in Colorado, and those restrictions sound so at odds with how laid back I here it is down there. Bummer.

Maybe someone does that on a very small scale, but I'm not aware of anything large outside of military training. Mammoth requires teams to find targets but not FFPs. It seems tough to do from a logistical standpoint. You would need a lot of land for navigation, surrounded by a lot more land for targets, and a lot of time. Shooters would have to be far enough away from each other to avoid seeing others at the FFPs that they ultimately would need to "find," which means the event would take a LONG time for the hiking. I'm not sure how you would keep score without having ROs there giving away the positions. With GPS in seemingly every electronic device these days, it would be hard to police that as well.
Thank you for the insight. I expanded on it on my next post. What do you think?

Yes. Definitely looks very challenging. Have you done it in the past?

Not yet, but it is on the bucket list. Going to do their Team Safari this year as long as everything gets back on track.