• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range AR-15

gsxcorey

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
Just curious, but for a long range 750-1000y shooting with an AR wouldn't you want a 1/7 twist so you can crank out the 77g and 80g bullets. Just curious as someone is saying you would want a 1/9 twist so you can shoot the smaller rounds faster. Just curious which you guys think would do better at distance?

Re: Long Range AR-15

Yes, 1/7 would be best. Very difficult for an AR due to single loading and lock time---would be better off with a good bolt gun.

You would probably have to be a nationally ranked shooter to be competitive at 1000.

FYI, u are in the bolt section

Yah, my friend is looking at a long range 5.56 bolt action I believe. He wants it for long range and it's 1/9 twist. I was thinking he would want a tighter twist on it for heavier grain rounds, but just wanted to confirm that I'm not crazy. He was told 1/9 with smaller grain for velocity sake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blackfoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'd want a 1:8 twist 6.5 Grendel :) </div></div>

this if you want to shoot in an ar15 platform.