• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range AR Upper

johnrrb81

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2011
Andrews, TX, USA
I have an SBR AR-15 that I threw together with parts from a few companies. It's great for short and mid-range fun but I'm looking to build another upper that's capable of reaching further and maybe do a little light hunting with but I would like to stick with 5.56x45. Also I live in AZ and travel to TX often since I have some land there so I need all aspects of it to perform well in the both climates. Any suggestions on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Long Range AR Upper

If you want long range performance and ethical hunting, you're likely going to want to get something a bit bigger (I'm not meaning to start an argument over whether hunting with .223 is possible - but I do mean to state that it isn't preferable for hunting MOST game).

That said, you needn't go bigger than the AR 15 platform.

Go 6.5 Grendel.

You will not find better long range performance from the AR platform (it's a legit 1000 yard gun, and likely further), and it's tits on deer.

You can keep your current lower.

Buy a Grendel upper (or build one), a couple of very inexpensive magazines, and throw them on your current lower. Easy schmeesy.

The hunting I do is almost completely white tail and mule deer in central TX so the .223/5.56 is perfect for that but as everyone knows there is always something bigger that I would love to go after. I've heard nothing but good things so far about the 6.5 and like I said I'm definitely open to any and all suggestions. My next concern is that I want it to last as long as possible so does anyone make a cold forged barrel for the 6.5? Also is the upper receiver different for the 6.5 for the 5.56?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnrob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The hunting I do is almost completely white tail and mule deer in central TX so the .223/5.56 is perfect for that but as everyone knows there is always something bigger that I would love to go after. I've heard nothing but good things so far about the 6.5 and like I said I'm definitely open to any and all suggestions. My next concern is that I want it to last as long as possible so does anyone make a cold forged barrel for the 6.5? Also is the upper receiver different for the 6.5 for the 5.56? </div></div>

The only difference between any 223/5.56 upper and a 6.5 Grendel upper is the chambering in the barrel.

Anywhere you can get a 6.5 is quality stuff. Alexander Arms, Satern (barrels), etc all make very high quality stuff. It just isn't a common enough round for the low end manufacturers to have started making cheap shit yet.

If you get a 6.5 upper, you can rest assured that it will last for quite some time.

+1 for Noveske. They really do make some very high quality guns. You won't be dissapointed.

If you want accuracy, go with Les Baer, no other AR has shown me the accuracy they have. Most of the better AR's shoot MOA, so if that is OK, go with any of them.

I would definitely look for something a little bigger than .223 for hunting animals bigger than coyotes. I use mine for hunting coyote/wolf in AK and have found that after 300 yards there just isn't enough pep to keep them from running too far. Snow is nice for me to track them but if there is any amount of brush where you are hunting it may prove difficult to find them, even with a well placed shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want accuracy, go with Les Baer, no other AR has shown me the accuracy they have. Most of the better AR's shoot MOA, so if that is OK, go with any of them. </div></div>

I can assure you that any Alexander Arms rifle in 6.5 Grendel will shoot better than MOA out of the box.

Agree; no disrespect to other makers. My Les Baer AR consistently shoots 1/2MOA or better (admittedly with Federal Match-I'm not a hunter). He's built me custom weapons for more than 20 yrs and they are extremely accurate and reliable. I've tweaked mine with stocks, bi pods and other stuff to make it personal, but the core rifle is terrific

To be honest I would prefer to stay under $1000 and as much of a pain in the ass it is to install a barrel, I did enjoy building the rifle I have now. I looked into Alexander Arms and I am thinking of getting the barrel from them

WOA is very well respected in building very accurate and reasonably priced uppers for that duty.

I've seen a few RRA predator pursuit uppers that shot impressively enough that I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of them either, but for the price and reputation it's hard to argue with WOA.

That said lots of people build great AR uppers, it's really just a matter of getting a good barrel.

6.8 spc is another option if you aren't looking to reach out as far as the before mention grendel but wanna pack a punch in an ar15 package .

Is it appropriate to raise the issue of the moral appropriateness of hunting white tail and mule deer at extended ranges? Can one assume you have the range estimation and marksmanship skills to cleanly harvest a deer at great range rather wounding it? Some of the questions you have asked give me pause. A possible combination of marginal range estimation and marksmanship skills coupled with a marginal cartridge [the 5.56/.223] is a recipe for wounding game animals. They aren't Taliban and we have a duty to hunt responsibly and harvest cleanly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Madog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it appropriate to raise the issue of the moral appropriateness of hunting white tail and mule deer at extended ranges? Can one assume you have the range estimation and marksmanship skills to cleanly harvest a deer at great range rather wounding it? Some of the questions you have asked give me pause. A possible combination of marginal range estimation and marksmanship skills coupled with a marginal cartridge [the 5.56/.223] is a recipe for wounding game animals. They aren't Taliban and we have a duty to hunt responsibly and harvest cleanly. </div></div>

Many people here on the board are fully capable of taking game at extended ranges. I've seen videos of a guy taking a moose at 890 yards. It's not unethical if you know what you're doing. Whether the OP is one of those, I don't know.

Even if he is, a 223 for hunting deer at extended range is a really bad idea. I don't even think it's necessarily responsible to be hunting deer AT ALL with a 223, but that's an argument for a different day.

That said, the Grendel is fine for deer out to 500 yards or more.

The deer on my lease usually don't get over 150 lbs. and because of the oil equipment it's pretty easy to get close to them. But as far as wanting to build something that can reach further than the 5.56, I want the distance for target shooting and the larger caliber for the larger hill country game