• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long range build

J8807

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2022
Ohio
Hello everyone, this is my first post to the forum I hope to get some advise. I am new to long range shooting I decided to build my Remington 700 sa chambered in. 243. I am looking for a 6mm or 6.5mm Caliber to convert the 700 to change it up. I would like to have good feeding from magazines in the short action, easy reloading/tunning, and factory ammo would be a plus but not required. TIA for all the info. Edit I have been interested in the 6xc and 6gt but ii am open to all suggestions.

Last edited:
What range are you referring to? Goals? Budget?

The 243 hand loaded will take you quite always out there. Could be an economical way to get started.

I have the most access to a 400 yard range but I will have times when I can shoot at 1300 yards maybe a bit farther. My biggest goal right now is improving. I haven't done much paper punching other than sighting in various builds and checking zero. Most of my shooting has been hunting coyotes. My longest shot on a coyote has been 275 yrd with my Ruger American ranch chambered in .223Rem. I'm just getting into the longer range shooting and as far as budget goes I have a few expensive hobbies so this rifle is going to be a build in progress for a while. I expect to have at least $1500 or so in it especially if I am buying dies and all of the reloading accouterments for a new to me caliber.

Reactions: pabrousseau
I’ve had my 243 out to 1500. A 6.5 CM will do that also. Probably further if you are interested in really pushing them. Since you aren’t reloading yet the creed would be a good choice since it has a good selection of factory ammo.

Sorry I could have said it better I have a reloading setup I just meant the caliber specific things dies, case gauge, projectiles, etc. Will a 6.5 creedmoor feed reliably in a short action?

and there are video's that show people hitting targets further .

I shoot it out a Savage 10 SA and it feeds great. Don’t think I’ve heard of the creed having feeding issues. I’m sure that someone who has a R700 chambered for it will chime in.

Thank you for the info. I am probably a month or so for getting a barrel so still have time to figure out what chamber I will need

Sorry I could have said it better I have a reloading setup I just meant the caliber specific things dies, case gauge, projectiles, etc. Will a 6.5 creedmoor feed reliably in a short action?
Yep, the 243/260 are basically the old versions of 6/6.5 creed. A little less taper and a little steeper shoulders on the creeds. Creed will feed well out of a mag. Its the easy answer.

6.5 creed is the easy button . I built one on a 700 short action . dropped it in a krg bravo stock and it runs p-mag aics mags with out incident . I used a remage barrel . 6AC07702-F8FB-4952-8C46-BD36697ABB03_1_201_a.jpeg

Big thanks for the info on 6.5cm. I had initially looked into it because factory ammo as well as brass and projectiles are plentiful, but was worried the cartridge OAL would be a little to long. Now I know it will work I am interested in the 6.5cm