• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long range caliber opinion

EricM40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
Georgia
What are your opinions for the best long range caliber for 1000 yards and under. 338 Lapua is not on the list because it's too expensive for me to feed.

Thanks!

Re: Long range caliber opinion

I picked 6.5 creed just because .260 wasn't there but they are pretty much identical.

As does most things.......they all have there advantages and disadvantages. Not sure there is a "best" or the others would not exist.
From your list and for me it would be 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5x47. They are both affordable to shoot and barrels are good for 4000ish rounds.

308 and all of its off spring all suffer from piss poor case design ... avoid

the new high efficiency cases
6XC, 6.5x47 and 6.5CM
all perform very similar

If you must run a 243/260
then at least do it right via SLR offerings

my pick XC

i vote for the creedmore as well

7mm08 is what im shooting now and is my favorite
but not on your list

+1
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerfan9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked 6.5 creed just because .260 wasn't there but they are pretty much identical. </div></div>

6.5 Creedmoor is relatively inexpensive to shoot if you dont reload and the factory match ammunition is very accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerfan9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked 6.5 creed just because .260 wasn't there but they are pretty much identical. </div></div>

+2

The 7mm family has, in my opinion, the best long range bullets out there right now. If you are really considering the 300 WM it makes no sense to not consider the 7RM, 7wsm, or 7saum.

I don't really want the 300WM, but i thought it fit and wanted to see others opinions. I really like the sound of the 6.5x47 though.

Since this is out to 1000 yards, I see no real reason to consider the heavy hitters like the 300WM and 7wsm/rsaum. I chose the 6.5cm because it is light recoiling and better for 1000 yards and under than any of the others (from an efficiency standpoint).

In a lightweight gun I agree with you. I chose 7mm SAUM for my F-class build because I can make it weigh 22 lbs.

There is no doubt that the 6mm and 6.5mm are being outclassed by the 7mm's right now on the world stage at 1000 yards. They simply use bullets that are better in the wind.

Straight .284

It is taking the British f class scene like a storm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 7mm family has, in my opinion, the best long range bullets out there right now. If you are really considering the 300 WM it makes no sense to not consider the 7RM, 7wsm, or 7saum.
</div></div>

+1 on this.

Couldnt agree more with this, my vote is .260

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eracer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In a lightweight gun I agree with you. I chose 7mm SAUM for my F-class build because I can make it weigh 22 lbs.

There is no doubt that the 6mm and 6.5mm are being outclassed by the 7mm's right now on the world stage at 1000 yards. They simply use bullets that are better in the wind. </div></div>

This is true, which is why the 7mm-08 is my second favorite caliber right now (300WSM is my favorite) and I am planning on building another Savage for a long action 7RSAUM build. I wonder, why didn't the OP list any .284 class cartridges?

The .260, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 6.5X47 are all great for the ranges you are looking for. The are flat shooting and have reduced recoil compared to magnum cartridges.

I would also look at the 7 WSM and 7 SAUM.

I don't see how the 6.5-284 would be out done by any of the other choices at 1000 yards, barrels be damned.
My second choice would be 6.5x47 Lapua.
B

Does anyone have any hunting experience with their 6.5CM?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillCh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see how the 6.5-284 would be out done by any of the other choices at 1000 yards, barrels be damned.
B </div></div>

Outdone how?

Assuming a very generous 3100fps with 142smk, it is 2/10 mrad flatter to 1000 than an easily-attained 2900fps 7mm 162amax. But, the 7mm drifts 1 or 2/10s less in a 10mph FV wind. The 180-class bullets drift even less.

There is a reason 6.5-284 loyalists are switching to less, and why higher-capacity 7s are getting so popular. A 7RSAUM or 7WSM is a "frickin laser" to 1000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillCh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see how the 6.5-284 would be out done by any of the other choices at 1000 yards, barrels be damned.
B </div></div>

Outdone how?

Assuming a very generous 3100fps with 142smk, it is 2/10 mrad flatter to 1000 than an easily-attained 2900fps 7mm 162amax. But, the 7mm drifts 1 or 2/10s less in a 10mph FV wind. The 180-class bullets drift even less.

There is a reason 6.5-284 loyalists are switching to less, and why higher-capacity 7s are getting so popular. A 7RSAUM or 7WSM is a "frickin laser" to 1000. </div></div>

Simple.
There are no 7mm's on the list of choices offered by the OP. I'm not disputing the merits of the 7mm bullets. Those options were not available. Except for the 338 Lapua other options were omitted by the OP for reasons not addressed.

B

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillCh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Simple.
There are no 7mm's on the list of choices offered by the OP. I'm not disputing the merits of the 7mm bullets. Those options were not available. Except for the 338 Lapua other options were omitted by the OP for reasons not addressed.

B
</div></div>The first line of the OP's post reads:

"What are your opinions for the best long range caliber for 1000 yards and under."

I'll fall back to 30-06 as a great all-around precision round for anything 600-1200 yards. It's not on the list, and it's not as popular with precision shooting, but it has many advantages. My favorite round FWIW.

Dont forget about the 280AI. Great all around and it can push 168 bergers at 3000fps. I have one built on a Tac 300 and robert gradous is building me another one on a surgeon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saleen63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont forget about the 280AI. Great all around and it can push 168 bergers at 3000fps. I have one built on a Tac 300 and robert gradous is building me another one on a surgeon. </div></div>

I keep hearing about the .280 AI. I need to look into it as an alternative to the 7 WSM and 30-06.

I favor the .260 over the 6.5CM because of multiple sources for brass, as well as the ease with which 7-08 and 243 brass can be converted to .260. Otherwise I see them as being in a dead heat, performance-wise.

Two of my preferred cases which were also omitted are the .30-'06 and the .280 Rem. The .30-'05 and its offspring .280 are excellent 30 cal and 7mm choices for 1000yd; and the .30-'06 is about the baseline maximum case capacity I'd be favoring for competitive use at distance. The .30-'06 is fully competitive, and the .280 will do anything it can do better, with either/both being readily available as factory brass.

While neither the .308 nor .30-'06 case designs are ideal by contemporarily vogue BR short/fat aspect ratio dicta, they have the advantages of longevity, good/broad performance load comprehension, and loading die availability. If you can't find a compatible and LR efficient bullet for the case designs, I'd merely suggest you look harder; they're there.

Maybe (maybe not...) oddly, I have <span style="font-style: italic">none</span> of the chamberings in the poll's selections among my rifles. That's not a criticism; it's simply a reflection of my current preferences.

Greg

did I miss something or where did the OP state how this rifle was going to get used?

If it's plinking steel or target use, then I would put down one answer if it's to killer a specific critter, then I put down a different answer.... Omitting 7mm is mistake in my opinion,but again it depends on the use of the rifle.

Jeffvn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did I miss something or where did the OP state how this rifle was going to get used?

If it's plinking steel or target use, then I would put down one answer if it's to killer a specific critter, then I put down a different answer.... Omitting 7mm is mistake in my opinion,but again it depends on the use of the rifle.

Jeffvn </div></div>

^^^This, can't really answer the question till we know what he plans on using it for. Op gave very little info to go on.

It would be an all around rifle for me. This is mainly for matches, but also an occasional hog or deer.

There is no reason why a match rifle can't be used for a few hunting circumstances. I'm not planning on this being a 18lb f-class rifle. I am looking forward to getting this build started. Thank you for your votes and I'm really looking at the 6.5CM a lot closer.

Thanks!