• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Long range handgunning...

noahmercy

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2010
Sheridan, Wyoming
who else does it?

I enjoy stretching my barrel (you KNOW what I mean ya' pervies...) and seeing how far away I can pot stuff with my handguns. Doesn't matter whether it's a snubbie or target gun, a rimfire or centerfire, fixed sights, adjustable sights, or optics, crisp single action trigger or double action only, revolver or semi-auto, black powder, or what.

To me, it's gratifying to lob a round onto (or heck, even <span style="font-style: italic">close to</span>) a basketball sized rock at three or four football fields' distance.

A drink or lunch won off someone who believes he'd be safe from me at 200 yards if all I had was a 38 Special with a 2 inch barrel is something to be savored.

Shooting prairie poodles or rockchucks at 150+ yards with a scoped GP100 is a thrill. Rolling a jackrabbit way out at 200 with a 44 Magnum Super Redhawk is a hoot. And hearing a steel ram silhouette clang <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">seconds</span></span> after dropping the hammer on a black powder 45 Colt load from a 3 1/2" barrel will induce guffaws from even the most jaded shooter.

I don't claim to be able to make every shot every time, but MAN! do I like trying!

So brag up your long range sixgunning shots. Shout out your semi-auto shenanigans.

Re: Long range handgunning...

I've made some beer money shooting a 11.75" X 22" steel plate at 100 yards with a box-stock Glock 19.

A very useful exercise is to put up a large paper target. Shoot it at 10 yards. Mark the holes. Back up 10 yards. Repeat.

Get back to 100 yards, and you'll know something about the trajectory of your pistol round which not many know.

True dat.

Most folks are surprised at how "flat" the 9mm shoots. I've found it one of the easier semi-auto cartridges to make 100 yard shots with.

There are a few guys here in Ohio that shoot the steel matches out to 900 yards with custom Savage and Remington pistols (or hand rifles). There are typically quite a few rifles below them when the scores are posted.

I hunt rabbits with a Ruger Mark 2, .22 semi-auto....and use a lot of ammo.... :0) :0) :0)

There is nothing,
more fun,
especially,
when you roll one,
on the run...

I'm guilty. Shooting at 375 yard steel with the 44 Mag,
Copyof2009-07-0711-55-05.jpg

Noah, dont know what part of Wyoming you are in, but there will be a long range pistol match, up to 1000 yards I believe, in Sundance next month, not sure of the dates, but I believe its listed in the S-3, or Beyond 1000 forums on the SH.

I have hit 200 yard 12 inch gongs with my Glock 35. You just walk them onto it and once you are there hits are not too hard.

Thanks for the replies, folks. Glad to see I'm not the only person who doesn't buy into the myth that handguns are only good for "across the table" shooting. Yes, they are still primarily defensive firearms (knowledgable folks choose a long gun if they know they're going to have to fire a shot in anger), but they are far from useless even at traditional "rifle" distances.

Although I would love to try some 1000 yard handgun competition shooting, I don't have any specialized (single shot rifle caliber) pistols. While my Super Redhawk will print into two inches at 100 yards, the drop at 1000 would necessitate me referring to tide charts or astronomical tables to get my dope right!

use a 357 max. and a 454 casuall with 2x leo on regular basis for this, heres another group that shares your joy
http://www.ihmsa.org/

I saw a guy on The Sportsman Network shooing a baloon with a 2 inch smith and I think it was at 300 yards. I figure on a calm day once you have the range figured out you should be able to keep hitting your target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: win70chris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw a guy on The Sportsman Network shooing a baloon with a 2 inch smith and I think it was at 300 yards. I figure on a calm day once you have the range figured out you should be able to keep hitting your target. </div></div>

that would be Jerry Miculek

A few years ago I lost 20 bucks to a guy here in Casper. I was putting 5 out of 7 onto a 12" plate at 100y off hand with my sti, thinking I was hot shit. I was put in my place by an old man with a freedom arms .454 when we moved the plate out to 350. Learned a thing or two though, well worth the 20 bucks.

I have seen Jerry do it but I think the guy I was thinking of was Bob Munden.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: win70chris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw a guy on The Sportsman Network shooing a baloon with a 2 inch smith and I think it was at 300 yards. I figure on a calm day once you have the range figured out you should be able to keep hitting your target. </div></div>

that would be Jerry Miculek</div></div>

I'm setting this one up to try on the close range (550) yard plate matches. Not real sure how it'll do but have high hopes, if nothing else it'll be fun.

freedom442.jpg

Freedom Arms 10" 44mag with VGM mount and 2.5 - 8 Leupold pistol scope.

Topstrap

I have a 10.5" Super Blackhawk with the stainless bull barrel, leupold 4x LER with leupold mount and rings.
With a hot H110 handload I can hit a turkey sihlouette all day long at 450-500 yards.
It's surprisingly not that tough of a shot.

Dropped a running jackrabbit at 220 yards once, but I wouldn't call that a easily repeatable shot :|

I used to shoot my 6" .44 at 100yd but the range brought the pistol backstop to 50yd. :[ Used to get better groups with a 250gr RN .44spcl...was shooting 320gr hard cast with th .44mag.

I found an old bag of reloaded .380s 88gr HP, looks like a copper parachute.
A shooting buddy loaned me his AMT backup. 1.3" barell auto loader to use to burn up the ammo.
after a while I started pot shooting the 100y 12" gong. after finding the sight pic. I setteled into 4 out of 5 hits every mag full.
range master wandered by while I was shaking my head and asked what was up. I said the 380 was acting wierd. he asked jamming? I said no but watch this, and banged 4 of 5 into the gong. he looks at the gun, looks at me, leans out and looks up and down the fire line looking for a 22 rifle.

I told him where I was holding and loaded 5 for him and he hits 4 of 5. looks at me and says " That IS wierd "

Love it!

I can't tell you how many times I've been on other forums and had folks call me on statements about medium to long range handgunning. Seems the average shooter can't believe that it's possible to land a bullet on a target past fifty yards unless you're using a scoped rifle and a rest...

One of my favorite shots, and one I could probably never duplicate:
Our club used to have a "prairie dog shoot" using bowling pins painted brown. I wanted to practice, so I created a full size silhouette target of a pin. One day I stapled one of those to the 200 yard backer. When I got back to the line, I began unpacking my rifle when a thought hit me. I had been doing lots of shooting with my 22/45 (mine wears a 6 7/8 slabside competition barrel) and was getting pretty good. I'd shot the gun scoped, so I knew it was superbly accurate. I said "what the heck" and pulled out my pistola. I loaded up with Federal 711b and told my wife, "Watch this". I raised up the gun, held about two thirds of the way up the berm and well into the fiften mph breeze and squeezed the trigger.

Any of y'all get a certain feeling when everything is right? I did. I cleared my sidearm and told the wife to walk down with me. She kinda rolled her eyes, but followed me down to the backer. There, centered almost perfectly in the black bowling pin, was a 22 caliber hole. (Since we were the only ones on the range, I know I put it there.) "No frikken way!" muttered my wife. I said nothing, pulled the target, walked back to the line, and packed it in. I knew that no matter how well I did the rest of the day, I would <span style="font-style: italic">never</span> outdo that one shot. I figure the planets must have been aligned and I held my tongue just right.

I have a Super Redhawk .454 Casull with a 4X Leupold that I deer hunt with but never shoot it past 100 yards....I thought that was far with a large calibe pistol
smile.gif
I do have some fun with a Mark II target scoped shooting clays at 200 yards but have never shot at anything further with a pistol. Pretty skillful shooting a handgun at the distances I am reading. I have seen some very impressive shooting with Thompson Encores/Contenders at longer ranges.

100 yards with my walther p22 on an oarnge hahahaha

as far as combat shooting goes i guess seals have to qualify and get "head shots" with the mk 23 so i guess a paper plate size target...... i have tried with my usp45t both suppressed and unsuppressed with no bench and its ( to me ) kinda hard lol

The first time I shot a handgun at range was 2 or 3 months ago. Pretty fun shooting a Glock 19 at 100yards and making hits.

Glock 17 on a 300 yard range, we used to play the pistol version of Horse. start on the 25 and everyone shoots one round, keep going back till you miss. I have seen a hit with a 9mm on an 18x12 inch piece of steel at 300. It could take one round or a few mags.

Check out specialtypistols.com. Them boys
are doing it long range.

I had started a handgun thread on here in the hunting forum.
Somebody posted some pics of his 15lb .338 LM pistol on there.
Completely bad ass!

Longest shot ever with a pistol .............20" gong @ 500 yds . Not a revolver or semi but a .260 Thompson center single shot . Well it's a rifle cartridge in a handgun frame but still it was fun . It was a friends pistol and we were able to hit it 75% of the time .

The longest shots I have taken with a handgun have been about 200 yards. That was long ago with a scoped Blackhwak in 45 Colt. Punching paper is fun, but when you get to see something fall over, or hear that clang, it adds to the experience.

Last weekend I was out at a range shooting in a rifle. I took my Springfield 1911 just for plinking, but only took a box of 50 with me. I hadn't planned on shooting the 1911, but I brought it out just to wind down. Paper at first, just 25 yards away. When I got bored, I was shooting odds and ends things out to 50. I then got the idea to set some bowling pins up at various distances, out to 100 yards. It was a shame that I only brought 50 rounds with me, as I had more fun in that last 20 minutes than I have in a long time.

If you go looking for it, there is info out there about long range handgunning, mostly with Encores, XP100's, and savage Strikers. Specialty Pistols is a great place to look at to see what the capabilities are with these types of weapons.

I usually dont even bother to discuss this topic with most people because they wouldnt even begin to believe me.

90 percent of being a good shot is having the audacity to take the shot in the first place.

Its amazing what can be done with a pistol. At Raton there is a Volkswagon sized rock we all shoot at called "Bannana Rock". Lots of guys just eat it up with their sixguns. Its 640 yards out from the firing line. No great mystery once you take the time to learn it.