• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Long Range Hunting Build

I’ve thought about the following

• 28 Nosler

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • 300 Win Mag

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • 300 Rum

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • 30 Nosler

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

NJOutfitters

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2021
North Carolina
I’ve already built a 6.5 PRC so Im looking into the next project! I’m wanting a long range Cartridge that packs a punch fast and flat!! Mule Deer, Elk, possibly Moose

30 Nosler. You already have something that will smash the smaller stuff. Might as well take the bigger step up in caliber/bullet weight

Edit: a caveat after seeing what J Scott says below. If you just want to shoot factory ammo, choosing 300 win mag makes the most sense. If you have the time and inclination to reload(or if you already do, you didn’t mention it) 30 Nosler makes quite a bit of sense. But then, any of those choices make sense if you reload…

Last edited:
Exactly excellent brass options good ballistics I’m leaning in this direction! I also have stock piled quite a bit of 28 Nosler Ammo so I’m torn haha

300 winmag and wsm are no slouches. Now isn't the best time to test this, but those are prob way more likely to be found at some store in the sticks when your ammo is lost on the plane going to a hunt vs noslers or prc etc.

I'd lean towards a 28 Nosler and run 195 Bergers at north of 3100. Ballistically, it beats any 30 cal (except maybe the 245 EOL, depending on velocity) on wind, drop, and energy (past 500 yards) on target at pretty much every range. Close seconds would be 300 PRC (better brass), followed by 30 Nosler. You can't go wrong with any, but keep in mind to really make the Noslers shine, you'll want a Wyatts extended box mag and a custom/long throated chamber.

Reactions: NJOutfitters
You're already shooting 150 class projectiles with the PRC, so I voted 300 RUM. Badlands 205 solids or 250 a-tips out of the same barrel.

I used to own a .300 RUM, but never fired it in anger. I have a switch barrel rifle and traded it for .300 Wby Mag so I could use the same bolt for it and a .257 Wby Mag.

I have been reading great things about the
.30 Sherman Magnum. Putting fanboys and 80k psi loads aside it seems to have a lot going for it.
I have a DT barrel on order so I should have firsthand knowledge coming in late spring.

.30 Sherman Magnum. Putting fanboys and 80k psi loads aside it seems to have a lot going for it.
I have a DT barrel on order so I should have firsthand knowledge coming in late spring.
The Sherman is very nice, but you'll need 80k+ to get the fanboy velocities. If you load it like a sane human it's a solid .30 and better than most on a mag bolt face.

Reactions: Hondo1
I would do 300 PRC since it is unbelted version of 300WM if you need to buy the dies and other reloading items for it.

If you do decide to do 300WM, I would go with a chamber reamer that has more freebore so you can push out the longer bullets from the case. The 300WM I just built has 0.050" more than the stander chamber (3.550 VS 3.600). You can get up to 3.700 if you want to go really long and mimic the 300 PRC.

One last thing, every one overlooks the 300 RUM. With the newer powders out there, you can make it long range shooter without burning the barrels out real fast. It also has the largest case capacity out of what you listed.

One of the things I did was to look at average gr/H2O case capacity. Not sure on some of these.

300 RUM 110.2 gr
300 Norma 104.2 gr
30 Nosler 98.5 gr
300 PRC 97 gr
300 Win Mag 93.8 gr

I built a 30 SM for my son last year. Only loaded the Berger 220, she runs well with no 80k psi loads. No signs of pressure w N-570.

I built a 30 SM for my son last year. Only loaded the Berger 220, she runs well with no 80k psi loads. No signs of pressure w N-570.

What velocity with the 220's? I have a 10 twist for the 220's in my RUM, it runs @ 3170 fps over 93 grains 8133, and pressure begins @ 96 grains. I haven't tried N570 in this barrel.

My 9 twist is throated for 250 a-tips and 205 Badlands - no velocity numbers yet.

Reactions: 4O6shootist
If your a hand loader and looking for a single shot barrel burner don’t overlook the 30XC w solids 😉

What velocity with the 220's? I have a 10 twist for the 220's in my RUM, it runs @ 3170 fps over 93 grains 8133, and pressure begins @ 96 grains. I haven't tried N570 in this barrel.

My 9 twist is throated for 250 a-tips and 205 Badlands - no velocity numbers yet.
3090 fps w n-570 w room for more, 28 inch 1-9 twist. Fire formed 100 pieces of brass, loaded the same charge weight Berger gave me for the 300 PRC w Berger 220 and took it to a mile. Once our bullets come in from back order I will max it out. The load shot so well, I just ran with it for the time being.

What barrel length to get that speed with the 220s? That's smoking fast.

3090 fps w n-570 w room for more, 28 inch 1-9 twist. Fire formed 100 pieces of brass, loaded the same charge weight Berger gave me for the 300 PRC w Berger 220 and took it to a mile. Once our bullets come in from back order I will max it out. The load shot so well, I just ran with it for the time being.

Nice, same here. I had room to spare, but the 93 grain load was in the 0.2's, so why... I just started down the Badlands path in my 6.5 Max, so will be trying in the RUM as well. They shot amazingly well, and 7.5 twist worked for the 135, listed as 7 twist. If you have COAL to spare, try the 205...

My 7 Max runs well also. I will try the Badlands soon in my 338 LM AI

Reactions: Chickentoast
300PRC if you can get enough ammo for it or if you can easily reload for it.
300WM if you want off the shelf ammo availability.

I suggested the 300 rum, it'll deliver the most energy on target. Barrel life is better than 28N. The 28 is a ballistic beast with low recoil, but they're high maintenance, keep barrel clean, chasing lands 10 thou per 100 rounds, been around 3 of em using 195s in the 3030-3100 velocity range.