• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Long range/Hunting scope help

Which scope?

• Primary Arms GLx 6-24x50 Athena BPR reticle

• Primary Arms SLx 3-18x50 ACSS Apollo 6.5 reticle

• Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x56

• Bushnell Forge 4.5-27x50

• Bushnell Nitro 6-24x50

• Leupold VX-3I LRP 4.5-14x50

• Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP

Results are only viewable after voting.

Unashamedly1776

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2020
South Dakota
Hello everyone,
I was fortunate enough to win a Tikka T3X Lite Veil Alpine in 6.5 creedmoor (24") in a raffle the other day and am looking at scopes for it. I want to get into long range shooting with it (which for me means up to 1600 yards), but will also be using it for hunting. I am looking at scopes in the $500-750 range (I realize that's not much for a long range scope, but it's the best I can do.) So far the main contenders I'm looking at are listed below, but I'm willing to hear other suggestions. And I suppose to go without saying, but I would like to save money if able; so if you think there are equivalent scopes but one costs more than the other, please don't vote for it simply because it's a higher price. Thanks in advance everyone, hopefully I included enough info!

Primary Arms GLx 6-24x50 Athena BPR reticle

Primary Arms SLx 3-18x50 ACSS Apollo 6.5 reticle

Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x56

Bushnell Forge 4.5-27x50

Bushnell Nitro 6-24x50

Leupold VX-3I LRP 4.5-14x50

Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP

What are you hunting with the rifle? and are you just walking to a stand with the rifle, or are you carrying it around all day? makes a difference if the weight is a big factor.

What are you hunting with the rifle? and are you just walking to a stand with the rifle, or are you carrying it around all day? makes a difference if the weight is a big factor.

Great questions! Primarily I'll be hunting deer and elk (obviously not elk at super long ranges). I may be carrying it around all day, so lower weight would be appreciated; but given that I'll be doing long range shooting substantially more than hunting, the weight isn't extremely critical.

Reactions: kyzim311

Upper end of your budget but a fantastic scope with Japanese glass. It’s a steal at that price.
I just picked one of these up for a T3X creedmoor and its tough to beat for that use. Both turrets lock which was a big deal to me for using it in a scabbard as was the smaller objective. On your list the Midas Tac is solid but not as friendly on a hunting rifle.

Reactions: Unashamedly1776
I just picked one of these up for a T3X creedmoor and its tough to beat for that use. Both turrets lock which was a big deal to me for using it in a scabbard as was the smaller objective. On your list the Midas Tac is solid but not as friendly on a hunting rifle.

Thanks for the response. Why do you say the Midas isn't friendly on a hunting rifle? Am I missing something obvious about it?

Upper end of your budget but a fantastic scope with Japanese glass. It’s a steal at that price.

This is what I popped in to tell you. The LRTS is going to be a much better scope than the others you are looking at. I have couple of good older scopes that have slipped into the the sub 500 price range, but are great quality scopes. PM me if you are looking for something on the low end of your budget that is still good quality. PSTII 3-15 can be had around 600, just depends on where you want to land in your budget.

If you can stretch the budget to $800............this is your Huckleberry.

RZR-31502 3-15x42 with HSR-5i MRAD reticle
FOV 35.3-7 ft/100 yrds
Locking elevation turret with zero stop / capped windage
.1 mil illuminated center dot in 2nd focal plane
parallax down to 20 yards
23 mils total elev, so a usable 17 mils if you use a 20moa pic rail +10 more in reticle.
19.1 oz
Japan

http://www.libertyoptics.com/contents/en-us/d142.html#p604

1607322855772.png

1607322959396.png

Thanks for the response. Why do you say the Midas isn't friendly on a hunting rifle? Am I missing something obvious about it?
Its not as streamlined and, while I use them, I'm not a fan of tactical dials on hunting rifles or large objectives. I go through to much brush and especially putting them in scabbards can be an issue. The lrts has locking windage, a smaller objective and lower profile dials. That razor LHT checks a lot of boxes and also has illuminated reticle which can be really nice in low light and its light weight.. I prefer ffp scopes but a lot of people prefer sfp for hunting because low power in low light makes it tough to see the cross hairs at times.