• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Long range illumination/LRF

Dirtracer151

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2009
Prescott AZ
For long range NV shooting using a PVS30/27-

I have a Luna but I'm wondering of anyone's found anything better since I got the Luna a few years ago. I also have a full power PEQ and Dbal but prefer to keep them on guns that make better use of the IR lasers.

Also what are the options for LRFs other than the Radius (hard to find) and the Raptor (way too expensive)?

Recent thread worth reading:

Reactions: Dirtracer151
Wilcox has two new options being released shortly: A RAID-X with a rangefinder, and a miniature RAPTAR with ballistic software (also capable of sending info to a thermal with a disturbed reticle).

Neither will be cheap (3500ish for the RAID with rangefinder). Raid would rock for an assaulter who was more precision oriented. Mini RAPTAR would rock for snipers.

Wilcox has two new options being released shortly: A RAID-X with a rangefinder, and a miniature RAPTAR with ballistic software (also capable of sending info to a thermal with a disturbed reticle).

Neither will be cheap (3500ish for the RAID with rangefinder). Raid would rock for an assaulter who was more precision oriented. Mini RAPTAR would rock for snipers.
Got any extra info on the mini raptor? I cant seem to find much on it.

Reactions: deersniper
Some illuminators to compare against for distance shooting -

F1647513-4CC6-49A4-8E4B-28E036BFA6F0.jpeg

0EC79C64-C16E-4436-A564-20B64A824C16.jpeg

Some illuminators to compare against for distance shooting -

View attachment 7713169

View attachment 7713170
The last I had heard was that the luna was a 250mW laser - I have compared it to a 250mW lab laser we had and it seemed comparable.

DBAL D2 is actually one of my favorites in some ways - and the SPiR as well. Main reason is safe illumination and good performance.

Would love to see a D3 model with a new 1000mw+ emitter.

The last I had heard was that the luna was a 250mW laser - I have compared it to a 250mW lab laser we had and it seemed comparable.

DBAL D2 is actually one of my favorites in some ways - and the SPiR as well. Main reason is safe illumination and good performance.

Would love to see a D3 model with a new 1000mw+ emitter.

I dont think the Luna is quite that powerful. I have a 45mw Peq and a 200mw Dbal as well as the Luna and the Luna I'd say is somewhere in between.

I used to have a D2 and I miss it. Very nice beam on the D2s.

I dont think the Luna is quite that powerful. I have a 45mw Peq and a 200mw Dbal as well as the Luna and the Luna I'd say is somewhere in between.

I used to have a D2 and I miss it. Very nice beam on the D2s.
Russian laser power output is all over the place frankly. I dont think they measure/adjust it at all before shipping the units.

Took one unit apart once when we broke the lens on it just for shits/giggles. It didn't have any sort of potentionmeter or anything for laser power.

It worked by prayer.

There are two of those for sale in marketplace 😁 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: NHPiper
Early Lunas were advertised at 90 mW. Current versions are 70 mW.

Older versions had the cleanest beams. I think the change occurred around late 2017 or early 2018.

I definitely know there is a significant difference in their beams as I own multiple units of both versions.

However, even the current 70 mW version will by far outclass what is easily obtainable in the IR illumination laser department for civi's.

Price?
Tracir compatible ? I hear it’s blue tooth so how does that work. What devices does it work with

It runs INOD and HISS compatible software for there disturbed reticle language. Last convo I had on this topic, it was not trace IR compatible. Only works with the latest tech that’s restricted.

Maybe that has changed, but I doubt Wilcox will integrate it with systems that aren’t widely adopted and legacy.

The Solaris SRX is widely used in the UK by night vision hunters. It lights up targets well at 500m. It will barely light up a black roof at 1100m. It would be worth being on one of J.W. Ramp´s comparisons.

Any info on the Raid-X w/ Rangefinder anywhere?

You’re right, I’m not sure what happened. I’ve kept that page up for a month and it’s not the same info now.

there’s obviously still this:

Does anyone know if either of these came to fruition or still in the works?

Does anyone know if either of these came to fruition or still in the works?
Wilcox released the MRF range finder. Very similar in size to raid xe but does not have an illuminator. I don't think you'll see any new LRF with Illum in the near future from US DOD suppliers. We use very little Image intensifier clip on NV anymore in a mil capacity. The move has been made to thermal ( mid and long wave) so the LRF development has been morphed to smaller, lighter more powerful LRFs like the MARS and MRF. The lasers are there for collimation only.

Wilcox released the MRF range finder. Very similar in size to raid xe but does not have an illuminator. I don't think you'll see any new LRF with Illum in the near future from US DOD suppliers. We use very little Image intensifier clip on NV anymore in a mil capacity. The move has been made to thermal ( mid and long wave) so the LRF development has been morphed to smaller, lighter more powerful LRFs like the MARS and MRF. The lasers are there for collimation only.
Great info, and that all makes sense. I can agree, especially with the switch to thermal, with the removal of the illuminators (from what I hear the Raptar illuminator was underwhelming anyway). I would still really like to see one come out that would be in a reasonable price range for civilians, who aren’t operating on DoD contract money… lol. A guy can dream, can’t he? Maybe I will buy some components, 3-D print a housing, and make my own!

I have the elir 3 and a fp peq 15. Being able to focus the size of the illuminator is a must, especially if youre laying prone in tall grass. The spill will bloom and you wont have enough throw on the beam. being able to dim brightness is somewhat useful. Being able to zero the illuminator is helpful, I like zeroing my peqs illuminator a few mills low on my spr so I'm set from 100 to 600 yds. For longer distance a peq 2 might come in handy, since you can zero the illuminator without tools. The elir3 doesn't hold zero well, but I have it mounted on a spotter so they can illuminate for me. Not optimal but it's one way that works