• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range in Arizona's Desert

brianlangeliers

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I am looking to buy a .338 LM and obviously I will eventually want to stretch it out as far as my ablities will allow me. The thing is, I live in Az, which typically would be a great place for Long Range shooting thanks to the wide open desert but I know there are lots of Indian Reservations. Basically I want to know where I can find out information on places that are open to the public and legal to shoot on. The typical places I go to shoot arent suitable for 1500 yds plus.

Re: Long Range in Arizona's Desert

I'm from Tucson originally, and the possibilities are endless outside the city limits. Like Jimmy stated look up BLM land and also state trust land. Just be sure of your back drop and pick up yor range trash. G&F has cracked down on people leaving garbage and they actually overwatch people shooting with optics to ensure they pick everything up. A lot of hiking trail intersect on the backside of hills too. A forest service map should help out a lot with that.

Chandler, I was hoping to jump on the I10 and head south on the backside of South Mountain maybe? From the looks of things there seems to be some good areas.

I think there is a group from PHX that shoots long range kind of often. There is also a monthly tactical type comp that they run north of PHX, check the match section on here for info.

Its really hard these days to find a good place that actually ALLOWS target shooting... There are plenty of open spaces, but who wants a ticket and their weapons taken away?
When you get your 338, we can go sometime to a spot I know 30 min away from me(north scottsdale)... Last time I setup at around 800 yards, but it shouldn't be a problem to do 1000+. The only thing is that it is basically shooting from one 'mountain' side to another, so there's some hiking to be done to setup targets.
shootw.jpg

Thats what I mean... The circle'd area is around where the 800yd target is, should be able to extend it by going up and to the left.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: b2!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking to buy a .338 LM and obviously I will eventually want to stretch it out as far as my ablities will allow me. The thing is, I live in Az, which typically would be a great place for Long Range shooting thanks to the wide open desert but I know there are lots of Indian Reservations. Basically I want to know where I can find out information on places that are open to the public and legal to shoot on. The typical places I go to shoot arent suitable for 1500 yds plus. </div></div>

You can shoot anywhere in Arizona that isn't Indian reservation, state trust land or a National Park (and a few other places considered high traffic areas). You can also shoot on any private land that isn't posted. Almost all state trust land is posted along with high traffic areas. About the only place that isn't posted are the reservations. Not that hard to avoid those with any map. So essentially, if you're there and there's no sign, you can shoot. Arizona is a free country (reservations not with standing).

Of course, living in Chandler, you'll want to avoid the reservations south of town. Your best bet is the Tonto National Forest. The closest for you is probably Florence in the Queen Valley area. Or you can hit the US 60 and head out to the Raymert mine area.

You can also shoot within city limits if you're a mile away from any occupied structure. Google Earth is your friend.

http://www.azleg.gov/ars/13/03107.htm

Most areas of the tondo forest have already been closed off to target shooting.. Along with most popular areas . When I say that, I'm talking about within an hour of Scottsdale, obviously 2 hours away in the middle of nowhere is a-ok, in almost any direction.

The biggest problem I've run across is there are FS roads running everywhere. I got a citation once for shooting across a rarely used small dirt road that was well below the shooting point and target area a couple years ago (long story) so I'm a little paranoid now. It's very hard to find a place that works and if you do you most likely will be hiking a heavy piece of steel which sucks majorly and then some.

State Trust Land allows hunting with a license but no target shooting. Go figure. We have a nice little place S of us that is open up to 3000 yrds and then some. PM me some time for a visit. Steve 123,you are welcome any time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most areas of the tondo forest have already been closed off to target shooting.. Along with most popular areas . When I say that, I'm talking about within an hour of Scottsdale, obviously 2 hours away in the middle of nowhere is a-ok, in almost any direction. </div></div>

Not true. The Tonto Forest is open to target shooting. They close it when fire danger is high but it's open right now.

Tonto Closures

Hell, there's plenty of places to shoot off Horseshoe Dam road. That's just past Desert Mountain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The biggest problem I've run across is there are FS roads running everywhere. I got a citation once for shooting across a rarely used small dirt road that was well below the shooting point and target area a couple years ago (long story) so I'm a little paranoid now. It's very hard to find a place that works and if you do you most likely will be hiking a heavy piece of steel which sucks majorly and then some.

</div></div>

There are many more trails in the tree'd forest than the desert forest. All roads are marked on Forest Service maps. Once again, Google Earth is your friend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most areas of the tondo forest have already been closed off to target shooting.. Along with most popular areas . When I say that, I'm talking about within an hour of Scottsdale, obviously 2 hours away in the middle of nowhere is a-ok, in almost any direction. </div></div>

Not true. The Tonto Forest is open to target shooting. They close it when fire danger is high but it's open right now.

Tonto Closures

Hell, there's plenty of places to shoot off Horseshoe Dam road. That's just past Desert Mountain. </div></div>
Please look at an UPDATED map of where it is legal and not before giving that advice. I have a map, and only a tiny sliver in the north tonto area around the Bartlett area is open to target shooting. When you pull into the Bartlett damn road a BIG sign specifically says NO TARGET SHOOTING. I have went throughout the year and always see that no matter the fire restriction or not. But on the other hand, there is small pockets in that area that are ok. I have pulled over and asked a parked ranger in that exact area, and it was straight from him as well that no target shooting in almost all the areas. Tonto itself is open to target shooting, minus restricted areas.. The problem is that those restricted areas have grown to cover alot of it. There are still places you can, but they are all mountainous and very hard to find a clear place to shoot long range.

Hey Steve, what kind of fine did you get for that. I have always wondered what the fines are for infractions like that. Is it just like a $100 dollar slap on the wrist, or is it a misdeamenor and huge fine?

Oh brother, what map are you talking about? This one?

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/3320e

You can shoot anywhere on the west side of service road 205 (Horsehoe Dam road) about 2 miles north of Cave Creek (Bartlett Dam) road. Tonto's huge and not much of it is closed. You need to get out more.

If anyone wishes to post a coordinate, I'll overlay Google Earth with possessory maps to show you exactly who owns it and whether it's legal to shoot there. I'll even overlay topos so you'll know if you're shooting across a prohibited road or trail.

I was on 7 springs road yesterday looking for a spot thats accessible, couldnt find shit. Someone PM me if they have a honeyhole they want to share around North Scottsdale or Cave Creek

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TucsonDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> State Trust Land allows hunting with a license but no target shooting. Go figure. We have a nice little place S of us that is open up to 3000 yrds and then some. PM me some time for a visit. Steve 123,you are welcome any time. </div></div> i would have to say that this shooting place is the best you can get around here. always a good time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh brother, what map are you talking about? This one?

You can shoot anywhere on the west side of service road 205 (Horsehoe Dam road) about 2 miles north of Cave Creek (Bartlett Dam) road. Tonto's huge and not much of it is closed. You need to get out more.

If anyone wishes to post a coordinate, I'll overlay Google Earth with possessory maps to show you exactly who owns it and whether it's legal to shoot there. I'll even overlay topos so you'll know if you're shooting across a prohibited road or trail. </div></div>
Thats the one!

Yea I guess there are places further out there, I'm reffering to p laces 'close' to home. The west side of horseshoe dam certainly is available BUT from the look of it its very hilly and many of the longer areas look like theres forest paths in between. So as I said earlier I do know of some places, but there is alot of hiking involved and its on mountain sides.

If you can recommend an area in that horseshoe rd and Bartlett dam road intersection area that has enough room for 1000+ yards I would be grateful!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TucsonDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> State Trust Land allows hunting with a license but no target shooting. Go figure. We have a nice little place S of us that is open up to 3000 yrds and then some. PM me some time for a visit. Steve 123,you are welcome any time. </div></div>

Thanks for the offer Dave. It's just such a long drive. We'll have to meet up this winter with John again for some ELR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most areas of the tondo forest have already been closed off to target shooting.. Along with most popular areas . When I say that, I'm talking about within an hour of Scottsdale, obviously 2 hours away in the middle of nowhere is a-ok, in almost any direction. </div></div>

Tonto Closures

Hell, there's plenty of places to shoot off Horseshoe Dam road. That's just past Desert Mountain. </div></div>
Please look at an UPDATED map of where it is legal and not before giving that advice. I have a map, and only a tiny sliver in the north tonto area around the Bartlett area is open to target shooting. When you pull into the Bartlett damn road a BIG sign specifically says NO TARGET SHOOTING. I have went throughout the year and always see that no matter the fire restriction or not. But on the other hand, there is small pockets in that area that are ok. I have pulled over and asked a parked ranger in that exact area, and it was straight from him as well that no target shooting in almost all the areas. Tonto itself is open to target shooting, minus restricted areas.. The problem is that those restricted areas have grown to cover alot of it. There are still places you can, but they are all mountainous and very hard to find a clear place to shoot long range.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Hey Steve, what kind of fine did you get for that. I have always wondered what the fines are for infractions like that. Is it just like a $100 dollar slap on the wrist, or is it a misdeamenor and huge fine? </div></div></span>

It was originally $325 but was reduced to $150 at the hearing if I agreed not to take it to court which I was happy to do.

The !@#$% thing about the whole situation is I got the citation at our local "unofficial" 1000Y range. The Flagstaff long shots were even required to have insurance to shoot there. I had shot 2 1000Y match's at the exact location. I hate the ass backwardness of the government.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh brother, what map are you talking about? This one?

If anyone wishes to post a coordinate, I'll overlay Google Earth with possessory maps to show you exactly who owns it and whether it's legal to shoot there. I'll even overlay topos so you'll know if you're shooting across a prohibited road or trail. </div></div>
Thats the one!

Yea I guess there are places further out there, I'm reffering to p laces 'close' to home. The west side of horseshoe dam certainly is available BUT from the look of it its very hilly and many of the longer areas look like theres forest paths in between. So as I said earlier I do know of some places, but there is alot of hiking involved and its on mountain sides.

If you can recommend an area in that horseshoe rd and Bartlett dam road intersection area that has enough room for 1000+ yards I would be grateful! </div></div>

I'll be there in the next couple of weeks and scout you out a location. I generally shoot the drainages because they give you the best chance at a line of site 1000 yards. Plus, technically, you're not allowed to leave the trails with your vehicle; however, I've never been hastled driving the washes to set up a target.

Since Horseshoe is empty now, it's actually possible to drive the banks. The problem is that if your close, they'll make you buy a Tonto pass to park. If you have a Jeep to ford the Verde, there's tons better places to shoot. But not a lot of folks are willing to drive through 2 feet of running water. And that's a good thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh brother, what map are you talking about? This one?

Thats the one!

If you can recommend an area in that horseshoe rd and Bartlett dam road intersection area that has enough room for 1000+ yards I would be grateful! </div></div>

I'll be there in the next couple of weeks and scout you out a location. I generally shoot the drainages because they give you the best chance at a line of site 1000 yards. Plus, technically, you're not allowed to leave the trails with your vehicle; however, I've never been hastled driving the washes to set up a target.

Since Horseshoe is empty now, it's actually possible to drive the banks. The problem is that if your close, they'll make you buy a Tonto pass to park. If you have a Jeep to ford the Verde, there's tons better places to shoot. But not a lot of folks are willing to drive through 2 feet of running water. And that's a good thing. </div></div>
You obviously know alow more about the land and all the laws and such around here than me....I moved here 4 years ago.

By the drainages do you mean the low spots between mountains... Im not really versed in terrain lingo. It seems like every spot between mountains has what looks like a trail between them. Even if it doesn't look like there's a direct path to it from the main road!

Also, you mentioned not needing the tonto pass. I was under the impression that you need the tonto pass no matter where you park in the tonto forest, not just recreational areas.

As for going through running water, yea thats definitely not a possibility for me.. My 'everything else' car is a IS350 which does NOT help in my quest to find good locations. I've taken the poor thing off roading so many times, but there are actual physical limits to it and I can usually only go so deep into the trails.

I would love to go shooting sometime if your ever in the areas closer to north scottsdale.

and I read today that BLM is considering shutting down more BLM land in AZ and CO ... so get active with NRA and push back hard.

There is so much room, soooooo much good training contours. Never a worry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Since Horseshoe is empty now, it's actually possible to drive the banks. The problem is that if your close, they'll make you buy a Tonto pass to park. If you have a Jeep to ford the Verde, there's tons better places to shoot. But not a lot of folks are willing to drive through 2 feet of running water. And that's a good thing. </div></div>

Just wanted to bring this back up and see if you found a place, I'm looking to go out in the next week or two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: b2!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chandler, I was hoping to jump on the I10 and head south on the backside of South Mountain maybe? From the looks of things there seems to be some good areas. </div></div>

Be real careful that you are not on reservation land in that direction. To shoot far you would have to go at least 1+ hours in all direction.

If you are interested in an AIAWSM 338LM, I have one for sale in the for sale section.

When I lived in Sierra Vista, I called the local PD to ask where it was legal to shoot. They said, and I quote, "Drive 200 yards past the city limits, walk 50 feet away from the road and don't shoot back at the road."