• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long-Range Optic for H&K MR308

Jokerkg

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2024
Switzerland
1711125315657.png

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the market for my first long-range optic and would love to get some input from this knowledgeable community. I'm based in Europe and have narrowed down my choices to three scopes that are at least some what similarly priced here. My rifle is an 16 in. H&K MR308.

The contenders are:

1. Steiner M7Xi 2.9-20x50 with MSR-2 Reticle (2562 €)
  2. Nightforce NX8 – 2.5-20x50mm F1 with Mil XT Reticle (2284 €)
  3. Schmidt & Bender 3-20x50 PM II Ultra Short with MSR2 Reticle (2899 €)
My primary use will be medium to long-range shooting (300m - 1000m), and I'm looking for something that offers great clarity, reliability, and ease of use. Given that they are similarly priced, I'm more interested in their performance, durability, and any personal experiences you might have with these models.

Factors like low-light performance, reticle design, turret quality, and overall build quality are essential to me. If any of you have experience with these scopes, particularly on an H&K MR308 or any 308 gas gun, your insights would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, if there are any other models I should consider within this price range, I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your help!

20x might be good for PID but not necessary to hit a target at 1000m, just something to be aware of. Out of the 3 you have listed, the Schmidt US 3-20 is going to be the most forgiving design and with DT II+ turrets will have the best turrets of the bunch, but you have to like the available reticles and if you buy new these scopes, while being the oldest design of the bunch, are the most expensive. The newer NF NX8 2.5-20 are very competent scopes, albeit somewhat finicky, but have excellent reticles and the brightest illumination (with both red and green as an option). The Steiner M7 I do not have personal experience with but have gone off ILya's thoughts with the design and while being a decent option he seemed to think it was somewhat lacking in IQ at higher magnfiications above 15x, also FOV is limited compared to both Schmidt and NX8.

I assume you are looking at 2.5/3-20x mag range so you can have something usable at the long range end as well as usable at low magnification, unfortunately none of the reticles (in the above scopes) are very useful at their bottom mag, the NF does have the advantage of being daytime bright. If you do think you'd like to use the scope at bottom mag at times, I'd have you consider an offset RDS like an Aimpoint Acro P2 or similar, if you go this route you open the door to other scopes that may not have as low magnification as these but offer a more forgiving design. Some other options with offset RDS would be the Schmidt US 5-20x50 (which is better optically than the 3-20), the Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42 (which is better optically than the NX8) and offers a lower profile option. And you can go the other extreme and check out the March FFP 1.5-15x42 with DF-TR2B dual focal plane reticle (excellent design for low mag and high mag use). Some are also putting the new Steiner T6Xi 3-18x56 on their large frame gas guns for it's very forgiving eyebox and stellar low light performance.

Lots more options but those pop to mind.

Reactions: waveslayer
All of those could work. Or go classic and get a PMII 3-12x50.

Pricing over there sounds different than over here. That Schmidt Bender 3-20 is something around 4000 USD. NX8 nightforce is 1900 retail. So you might be able to get a better deal on a S&B over there while over here we may get proportionately better deals on Nightforce and Leupold.

Here is a thread a guy made about shooting his HKs and it looks like he is using Eotech Vudu scopes (Japan made, 1200-1500 USD retail???):

1711147090305.png

I've been running an S&B 3-20x Ultra Short on mine or almost ten years. It's great inside of 600m, but every time I've taken it to 1000m I've wished there was a bit more magnification.

If you do think you'd like to use the scope at bottom mag at times, I'd have you consider an offset RDS like an Aimpoint Acro P2 or similar, if you go this route you open the door to other scopes that may not have as low magnification as these but offer a more forgiving design.

This quote by this gentleman gives me an excuse to dust this shot off which is the March HM 4.5-28x52 since you're open to suggestions. Happy about the fit and finish of the scope, loved the way it looked on the gun, lined it up w/a plumb bob, took this shot a couple of days later.

No matter how I researched this, it was all still from "long distance" and so it's like a "blind date", where you're either disappointed or giddy right after you open the box, at least that's the way it was for me.

It's already on my HK MR762A1... took a peek at pricing (new turrets) so it's a couple hundred higher than what you mentioned, not very heavy, unlike some bazookas it ain't as long as the gun.

Glassholic can probably detail its pros and cons compared to the scopes U mentioned better than I can.

Scope-Gun-XVi-CRPSMLBR254-W.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 8378749

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the market for my first long-range optic and would love to get some input from this knowledgeable community. I'm based in Europe and have narrowed down my choices to three scopes that are at least some what similarly priced here. My rifle is an 16 in. H&K MR308.

The contenders are:

1. Steiner M7Xi 2.9-20x50 with MSR-2 Reticle (2562 €)
  2. Nightforce NX8 – 2.5-20x50mm F1 with Mil XT Reticle (2284 €)
  3. Schmidt & Bender 3-20x50 PM II Ultra Short with MSR2 Reticle (2899 €)
My primary use will be medium to long-range shooting (300m - 1000m), and I'm looking for something that offers great clarity, reliability, and ease of use. Given that they are similarly priced, I'm more interested in their performance, durability, and any personal experiences you might have with these models.

Factors like low-light performance, reticle design, turret quality, and overall build quality are essential to me. If any of you have experience with these scopes, particularly on an H&K MR308 or any 308 gas gun, your insights would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, if there are any other models I should consider within this price range, I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Don't overlook the Kahles K318i SKMR3 in that same price range... It's what I run on my main hunting rifle, and it's a phenomal optic.

German rifle, German optics. That‘s just the rules.

I have a 3-20 S&B T3 on mine. Goes great with it. Would highly recommend. Perfect pairing.

How would you guys say the Razor HD Gen 2 compares?
I just found a pretty good deal for one (2600€).
You mean the 3-18? If you don't mind the weight that scope is phenomenal. Better glass than most especially for an older design.

This quote by this gentleman gives me an excuse to dust this shot off which is the March HM 4.5-28x52 since you're open to suggestions. Happy about the fit and finish of the scope, loved the way it looked on the gun, lined it up w/a plumb bob, took this shot a couple of days later.

No matter how I researched this, it was all still from "long distance" and so it's like a "blind date", where you're either disappointed or giddy right after you open the box, at least that's the way it was for me.

It's already on my HK MR762A1... took a peek at pricing (new turrets) so it's a couple hundred higher than what you mentioned, not very heavy, unlike some bazookas it ain't as long as the gun.

Glassholic can probably detail its pros and cons compared to the scopes U mentioned better than I can.

That must be a Kalifornia grip, it looks so much less evil that way, so glad they put that in place :mad: (that was sarcasm by the way, Kalifornia is just stupid!) Other than that, the rifle looks sweet!

Speaking of the March 4.5-28x52, I absolutely love this scope especially for gas gun application. @lennyo3034 used that scope to win the PRS gas gun 2022 champion title.

Last couple years I ran the 4.5-28x52 on my LMT MWS, no it's not a German rifle but similar platform ;) This year I am running the 1.5-15x42 on it and curious to see how well that scope holds up.

20221201_LMT MWS MARS-H_ODG_002.jpg

20221229_LMT_MWS_MARS-H_RBGC_6.5_Creedmoor_001.jpg

Don't overlook the Kahles K318i SKMR3 in that same price range... It's what I run on my main hunting rifle, and it's a phenomal optic.

LR_AR-6.5_Build_067.jpg

I love everything about the Kahles except for it's narrow FOV. They came out with a DLR (wide angle eyepiece) version of the K525i several years ago and I've been waiting for a wide angle version of the K318i, frustrating they have ignored that scope. Now they have the K328i 3.5-28x50 with super wide angle eyepiece but with 36mm tube and 37oz I'm just not thrilled with the design for gas gun application; for a comp gun I think it will be fantastic, but wish they'd update the K318i...

WTF is that piece of plastic where the grip should be?

You'd think that, but haven't you noticed lately that all the cool kids shoot with their thumbs out of the grip? Once again, California leading the way :ROFLMAO:
That's very true, that's how I shoot too for precision (thumb on the inside)... just don't let the politicians know that lest they pass a law that forces you to cut off your thumbs if you want to own a semi auto ;)

You have three choices here if you want a semi-auto like the MR762A1

1 Buy a "fin" grip where your thumb and fingers are on the same side of the grip. I'm not shooting that way.

2 Completely fuck up the MR762 by making it a "one-shot" rifle. No way.

3 Get this grip (CA legal-featureless) so U can get your thumb on the other side of the grip like a rife grip.

MR762-FVZ3-SML3-Z4-WNOV114-W.jpg

Gripping my rife w/this grip is exactly like gripping a regular rifle stock like my Benelli

Ben-Stock-ZZZ4-W.jpg

I don't give a fuck how ugly it looks, I can own 2 of these rifles here without anybody fucking w/me and I can shoot it w/a decent grip like I've always shot my long guns.

Glassaholic is right, and it makes no sense in trying to make the gun difficult to grip, it's of course safer going in the other direction.

Last edited:
It’s gayness… Just like all of kommiefornia. Glad I don’t live there. It’s a shame what liberals have done to that state…The weather and the natural landscape is beautiful.