• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ghost1

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2013
Colorado
Gentlemen,

I finally was able to save up some money and order a GAP rifle. It is a 300 WM on an ACIS 2.0 stock. To get the most of my purchase I have been looking through some courses to take over the summer. I am military which opens a few more options so you can keep that in mind. The main teaching points I would like hit are fundementals, positions, ranging, wind age and elevation reading and compensation, data gathering, ballistics, and possibly movers. Rifles Only has been the main company I have been looking at but I am certainly open to anywhere else. Could you please give me your suggestions and any experiences you have had both good and bad with rifles only and other companies? .

Depending on your mos and branch of service, Sniper school and/or SOTIC and it will be free. If you are a weekend warrior or POG or branch of service where you can't readily go to these types of schools, I've heard good things about rifles only.
If it were my money I'd splurge it all on ammo as all the info you'd ever need is on the internet.

Unfortunately I am in a careerfield where there is little to no necessity for this kind or marksmanship so chances of getting a slot for those schools are slim to none.
I have spent a lot of time researching online, but I find it much more effective having an instructor to critique and provide immediate feedback.

Are there any other schools you all would recommend looking into?

I've heard Rifles Only is where it's at. I haven't trained there so I don't know. While I haven't trained long range with them, and I believe Yeagers a tool, Tactical Response has a long range class. They have an instructor there named Jay that I've had training from and he's top notch. If he was an instructor in one of the longe range classes, I'd say go for it.

Check out thunderbeastarms.com. They have some interesting classes. looking forward to taking one or two myself.

You're in Colorado…Check out taking a class with Trigger Time Gun Club. Frank (LowLight) who runs this forum teaches the course. I've taken classes from MagPul and several others as well. Frank's class was one of the best I've attended. I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

Without a doubt you need to go to K&M in Florida. One of the best facilities in the US and absolutely top notch instruction.

+1, Shannon and Bryan are the instructors you want.

Ghost 1. Here are a couple other options for Long Range Precision Courses that are in or near Colorado. The Precision Rifle Workshop (PRW) is a Co based operation and conducts Long Range Rifle courses in Co and WY. The second is a SD base company called Professional Marksmen Inc, but he runs his training courses at the NRA Whittington Center in north eastern NM. Both companies are on Facebook and the Internet. I've attended LRPR courses with both organizations and highly recommend them.

CDAT

Last edited:
All-ranks, all MOSs, all Army units -- training given, no experience required, new shooter awards, loaner weapons available, ammo provided, and you can shoot on permissive TDY or leave:

2014 US Army Small Arms Championships (All-Army), 26 Jan - 1 Feb 2014 • Ft. Benning, GA.

Match Program *Updated < http://www.usaac.army.mil/amu/competitions/2014/2014 all army program final.docx >
Fact Sheet *Updated < http://www.usaac.army.mil/amu/competitions/2014/US ARMY Small Arms Championship Fact Sheet.pdf >

Apr25Story8ma.jpg

US Army Long Range Championships, 8-11 September 14.

size0-army.mil-65743-2010-03-03-070348.jpg

29blixy.jpg

Marksmanship+Long+Range+1000

All Army Small Arms Championships Winner
Submitted by Mike Feeley, USAISR Public Affairs officer

sgm_jenkins_silver_medal.jpg

SGM Jenkins receives Silver Medal for pistol match

During the first two days of pistol competition, SGM Chris Jenkins of the U.S. Army Institute of Surgical Research, Fort Sam Houston, Texas won Silver and Bronze medals for placing 2nd and 3rd in individual matches. He also earned a Bronze Excellence in Competition Pistol Shot Badge for placing in the top 10% of eligible non-distinguished competitors during the EIC match. The EIC badge is authorized for wear on the Army uniform and takes precedence over the Marksmanship Qualification Badge. Overall, Jenkins finished 13th out of 277 other competitors during the pistol competition.

The All Army Small Arms Championship was held at Fort Benning, Ga. Feb. 20-27.

The All Army Small Arms Championship is an annual advanced combat live-fire training event. Training and skill exercises are applicable to all military small arms firing disciplines. The intent of this competition is to develop combat firing skills at the intermediate level, recognize superior skill at the highest levels and to raise the standard of marksmanship across the entire force. The schedule of events includes two days of pistol, two days of rifle, one day of long range and two days of combined arms shooting.

Jenkins competed as an individual and joined five other Soldiers from the Soldier Medic Training Site at Camp Bullis, Texas, as a member of the Army Medical Department Center and School first ever Combat Shooting Team. Other team members included, CPT Thomas Kennedy, SFC Rey Flete, SSG Christian Koscinski, SSG Nick Coffey and SSG Michael Smarr. Overall, the team finished 17th out of 47 total teams. According to Jenkins, "Most of the other teams had at least two professional level distinguished marksmen and other experienced shooters who have been competing in this event for years. All the AMEDDC&S team members were novice level competitors, so finishing 17th against such experienced marksmen was an outstanding achievement."

Pistol matches were timed and fired with the M9 Beretta at distances as far as 35 yards and as close as 10 yards. Scenarios changed for each match to include magazine changes; standing, kneeling, and prone shooting positions; slow/rapid fire; and shooting from a barricade. One team match started with a two mile run immediately followed by a timed match.

During the rifle competition, the team placed 21st of 47 teams, with no individual awards.

Rifle matches were timed and fired with the M16A4 from as far as 500 yards to as close as 25 yards. Describing the rifle competition, SGM Jenkins said, "Scenarios and shooting positions were similar to the pistol matches, but the rifle matches were much more physically demanding. As an example, after shooting 10 rounds in 90 seconds from the 500 yard line, competitors were only given 90 seconds to run to the 400 yard line and shoot another 10 rounds. That pace and distance continued until competitors reached the final stage and had expended all their ammunition."

During the combined arms matches, the team placed 19th out of 49 teams, with no individual awards. The combined arms matches included firing 20 rounds from an AK-47 on full auto, the M9 Beretta pistol and the M16A4 rifle. During these matches, competitors were required to shoot targets from a marked area as fast as they could; change weapons if needed, run to a different area and shoot additional targets as fast a possible until all targets were down or all ammunition was expended.

After the competition, Jenkins said, "When I started training for this event, I thought I knew a good bit about marksmanship; but I was mistaken. I now know that any type of shooting is really very simple, it only requires two things; first, maintain a good sight picture; second, have proper trigger control. However, for most people, keeping it that simple isn't so easy. 99% of all the mistakes made during the competition were mental mistakes, not physical or mechanical errors. Errors such as firing on someone else's target, firing on your own targets out of sequence, loading the wrong number of rounds in magazines, and shooting from the wrong position were common occurrences."

The AMEDDC&S team's coach, SFC Russell Moore, USAR, repeated as overall champion again this year and he summarizes his pre-match thoughts like this: "Mongo pull trigger." Jenkins thinks "Sergeant First Class Moore is by far the best shot and best shooting coach I've ever met, because he is very positive, and is an excellent communicator; but when it comes time to perform, he has the ability to stop thinking and just keeps it simple. That is probably the biggest lesson the team learned about marksmanship during this competition."

Last edited:
Rifles Only has done classes in Colorado the last couple of years. Usually in June. Check their web site's schedule for 2014 dates. I have taken the class the last 2 years I highly recommended it.

I have heard good things about Trigger time's class but I have no first hand experince with them.

I had a great 3 day class at Central Virginia Tactical. What I like best was shooting over natural terrain with all the challenges of winds from several directions, following gullies and hills, making reading wind tough. Also the targets are placed at odd distances and Ed made us range them using our mildot scopes rather than shooting at known distances. He likes to work small classes to give you practically one on one instruction. I was very new to this but came away hitting steel at over 1.000 yards on Sunday with my old 5R 308.

Attachments

• cvtactical 018.jpg
    cvtactical 018.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Ghost1 I'll be participating in an RO LR 1&2 next week. Driving down from CO so the trip will be 9-10 days when all is said and done. I wish the weather was not a deterrent for other instructors over the winter in our area but oh well. I'll provide some feedback for you once I compile the experience. I know they'll be out here this summer so if you decide to make the summer class chances are I'll be throwing lead down range as well. I'd be happy to provide any help I could.

+1,000,000. Awesome place and training. K&M

+1,000,000, I agree. +1 seems far insufficient for K&M.

+500K for Shannon, Brian, and team and their excellent instruction.
+500K for the long-range shooter's playground that is K&M's facility. 1000 yard range, multiple known and unknown distance ranges to 800 yd, 300 & 500 yd movers (or 400 & 600 dependent on shooting location). Awesome shooting house. Shooting from shingled-rooftops, elevated platforms, shooting at "hostage-taker" steel targets, rock outcroppings, shooting from and into vehicles, etc.

I wish there were more options in the midwest. I am wanting to take a course this summer but don't have the time off work to travel to Florida or Texas.

Michigan Rifles Only PR1, August 16,17,18, 2014. South Kent Sportsman's Club, Dorr, MI.

Thanks, with it starting on a Saturday and ending Monday should be able to fit into my work schedule.