• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range Rifle based on 416 WBY Brass

Carole Baskins

If I do my part.
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2020
MT
I recently picked up a large amount of 416 WBY brass for very cheap. I’d like to try and build a large caliber long range hunting rifle. Any thoughts on what direction to go? I know there are way better oprtions for brass and I’m new to anything over 338 cal. I was thinking of necking down to a 375 cal variant of some kind and shooting monolithic bullets. Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

If I recall correctly, Roy based this on the .378Weatherby case. So, necking it down should be possible depending on the die(s) used and hardness of the cases.

I can't say for sure because I never tried to neck down those cute little "venturi" weatherby case necks.

Get a diagram of the .378 Weatherby and see what you think. Plus about this is using available .378 Weatherby dies and load data........except remember that the Weatherby magnums were freebored so the loads may need to be reduced for chambers that do not have equivalent freebore like the Weatherby factory chambers had.