• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long range round?

daleo8803

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2014
I'm talking 1200yds plus, would like to be realistically be able to go to a mile. Atm I shoot a 6.5 creedmoor.

I have been looking at the 6.5prc, 338 lapua, or 300prc. The round will need to have factory ammo available, and factory rifle available ( aka savage, ruger, bergara, $1500 max for rifle).

My dad has a RPR in 6.5prc and it shoots very well. But haven't gotten it past 600yds yet.

Thanks guys.

I have a rpr win mag that shoots really well with 225 eld-m handloads. Otherwise Bergara has some good options.

I'm talking 1200yds plus, would like to be realistically be able to go to a mile. Atm I shoot a 6.5 creedmoor.

I have been looking at the 6.5prc, 338 lapua, or 300prc. The round will need to have factory ammo available, and factory rifle available ( aka savage, ruger, bergara, $1500 max for rifle).

My dad has a RPR in 6.5prc and it shoots very well. But haven't gotten it past 600yds yet.

Thanks guys.
That 6.5 will do a mile.

Thanks guys.

No sweat. You just need to build it big enough and it'll fling it half of forever.

32d890028fde5908058b5babbfa67333.gif

That 6.5 will do a mile.

I’ve never understood this.
I’ve never gotten past 1400 reliably. I think at 2800fps with 140 Hybrids I’m transonic between 13-1400.
1300 is fairly consistent, but past that, for me, is pure luck.

What’s your secret?
Thanks.

Reactions: Jeeper48
I am only offering my opinion and I'm sure there will be many others. Best reach but lowest recoil category would belong to the various 6.5 mm .260 cal. class. Equal reach, more power but more recoil would be the .30 cal magnum class. Best B.C. and as good as anyone else reach class, but with a bit more recoil, the hot 7mm"s. My opinion, with unlimited resources, meaning you could buy whatever you wanted, I'd do this. For targets and hunting, I'd go 6.5-284, or .264 Win. Mag. for hunting at extreme ranges, 7mm Rem. Ultra mag. Hunting at extreme ranges and needing severe foot pounds of energy, .300 Rem. Ultra mag. If you need more than that, stay home, it isn't worth it.
biggrin.gif

I’ve never gotten past 1400 reliably. I think at 2800fps with 140 Hybrids I’m transonic between 13-1400.

What’s your secret?
Thanks.

Mine is 48.2 grains Reloder 26 and loaded really long. Caution: YMMV. Work up carefully.

I'm reaching a mile reliably with the 147 eld-m (on a windless day).

If I were to rebarrel my current 6.5 creedmoor with a heavy 26 inch barrel what kind of velocity are you getting? Also would you put a brake on a26 inch barrel? Barrel will be .875" a muzzle.

More data needed to receive useful advice. What do you mean by ‘go to a mile’. What will primary and secondary use of rifle be.

6.5 cm is good all round cartridge for ME;
Good affordable factory ammo available and easy to load for. Lots of factory and semi custom rifles available. In good conditions I’ve hit decent size plates at 1770yards with 147 factory CM ammo. Most match and practice shooting is under 1000 with occasional 1200-1400 and rare for fun at a mile. Limit myself hunting elk to 600yds if it’s a high confidence shot.

If I wanted to increase energy on targets beyond 700 I would consider 6.5 PRC, 7mm rem mag, or 28 nosler.
Each comes with and increase in recoil that will exploit any weakness in fundamentals making it more challenging to observe impacts and adjust second round firing solution. If hunting big bears might step up to a30 cal magnum.

Reactions: daleo8803 and lash
Primary use for my 6.5 creedmoor is steel plates to 1000yds currently. If I can shoot my 6.5 creedmoor to 1760yds once or twice a year I would be happy. I will need to rebarrel it in about 2 months.

I dont have constant access to a 1760yd range, just a few times a year. I planned on getting a 26 inch barrel to replace the factory barrel on the rifle atm.

It seems alot of people with decent conditions are shooting the 6.5 creedmoor to 1760yds with good results. So it looks like I dont need to change calibers just rebarrel.

1760yds is just something I would like to be able to try :)

No brainer...300 PRC. While you can get to a mile with the smaller diameter calibers, the 300 PRC (Ruger RPR comes in this caliber) will do the job better and there is good 225 grain factory ammunition available at a very affordable price, about $35 a box. As for some of the other calibers; recoil is more user friendly than a 300 WinMag and the .338 Lapua ammunition is VERY EXPENSIVE. The 6.5 PRC will also get out there BUT, smaller/lighter bullets give less signature than heavier bullets which can make spotting a challenge when having to make corrections/follow-up shots.

Is it THE BEST caliber for getting to a mile? NO, but it is an affordable option that won't break the bank and still give you the opportunity to go play the long game with moderate success at an affordable price.

Primary use for my 6.5 creedmoor is steel plates to 1000yds currently. If I can shoot my 6.5 creedmoor to 1760yds once or twice a year I would be happy. I will need to rebarrel it in about 2 months.

I dont have constant access to a 1760yd range, just a few times a year. I planned on getting a 26 inch barrel to replace the factory barrel on the rifle atm.

It seems alot of people with decent conditions are shooting the 6.5 creedmoor to 1760yds with good results. So it looks like I dont need to change calibers just rebarrel.

1760yds is just something I would like to be able to try :)

If you're only occasionally trying for a mile, I would hold what you've got.

If you were regularly shooting beyond 1500 yards, I'd go with 300prc.

Reactions: daleo8803
A 26 inch barrel will allow you to use a slower powder. Using re 26 you be able to push 147 eldm at 2850-2900. The primary benefit of increased BC through speed is not the trajectory but the decreased wind deflection. A 147 at 2800+ will do a great job of bucking the wind to 1400 tards

A 230gr A-Tip at ~3000fps is a sight to behold.....a 300PRC will give you that 1760yds...and then go....'where to next?'

A 26 inch barrel will allow you to use a slower powder. Using re 26 you be able to push 147 eldm at 2850-2900. The primary benefit of increased BC through speed is not the trajectory but the decreased wind deflection. A 147 at 2800+ will do a great job of bucking the wind to 1400 tards
Why are you shooting tards?

Haven’t shot a mile or even a 1000 with it......yet? 26” Krieger standard Palma, 1/7.5, Lapua brass, Fed 210, Hornady 147, RL26 @ 3028fps out of a 6.5x284. I get 25 shots right?

The problem with ELR is the wind deflection and seeing where your bullets land to make any corrections.

That said, a heavier bullet with a higher BC going reasonably fast helps to make the experience easier. That's why 375CT and 416B are so popular for ELR, just saying.

The best compromise to me is the 300PRC with 225's.

I've shot a 30-375R since 2008 which is a ballistic twin to the 300PRC. It was an excellent cartridge for this type of 1 mile or less shooting. So much so that I won a ELR match with it using 230 hybrids and the competition mostly used 338L. I appreciated the lower recoil compared to 338L with 300 grainers.

If you reloaded I would have suggested 300WSM too. It's becoming popular in F-class for a reason and gets better barrel life. It also used to hold a 10 shot 1000Y benchrest record. Basically the 6mmPPC of the 30 cals.

I live in SC it gets 90 to 100 degrees easy in the summer down here. I have read that re26 can be temp sensitive over 85. Have you had any issues?

For factory ammo in an off the shelf gun, 338 Lapua Magnum in a Savage.

When you drop those requirements a lot more options will do it.

.300 PRC is going to probably be the one to go with.
It will easily get you to a mile with a decent rifle.

.338LM is going to put you into a different cost category that you probably don't need for your application.

Reactions: Huskydriver
6.5 creed CAN do it. Under ideal circumstances. Personally if it was more than a couple times a year I'd be running a 300 PRC, 300 Norma class cartridge.

Mine is 48.2 grains Reloder 26 and loaded really long. Caution: YMMV. Work up carefully.

I'm reaching a mile reliably with the 147 eld-m (on a windless day).

I should have added, I'm shooting at 6,200 feet elevation.

6.5 CM gets the job done.

PS: My other gun is a .338 LM.

Last edited:
I use the .223 for MR, the .260 Rem for LR, and had begun preliminary testing at MR/LR with the .280 Rem.

Based on that limited experience, I was getting very enthusiastic about the .280 Rem or maybe the .280AI.

I was planning on testing the Rem/AI with 162-168gr bullets, 1:9" twist, 28" length, propellant H-4350/H4831.

Ammunition, some rifles.

Can't say more, won't say less.

Greg

Reactions: Average guy
I use the .223 for MR, the .260 Rem for LR, and had begun preliminary testing at MR/LR with the .280 Rem.

Based on that limited experience, I was getting very enthusiastic about the .280 Rem or maybe the .280AI.

I was planning on testing the Rem/AI with 162-168gr bullets, 1:9" twist, 28" length, propellant H-4350/H4831.

Ammunition, some rifles.

Can't say more, won't say less.

Greg

280ai certainly has always had my interest.

After seeing what the 260 is capable of at a mile I’m really looking forward to my new7 saum barrel as it’s vary similar to 280ai in performance.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
I'm not into ELR today, although I had aspirations until my health become more of an issue.

When I was looking into it, I had possession of a pair of Ruger 77 MKI 280 Rems, including a 24(?)" varmint barreled one, and did initial load development with it. It shot well with nearly every load I tried, but I never got up above 150gr loads. Everything looked especially satisfactory up until then.

Then the owner/my Brother wanted it back, and the project ended abruptly.

Had the health stood up to muster, I was conjuring the purchase of some sort of a Savage LR Hunter in 280/280AI, and finishing load development at 1000yd, with an eye to much longer distance.

That's where things rest today, and I really haven't the steam, bucks, or time left to get deeply into another, more difficult, shooting venue.

But for the task, my choice is irrevocably the 280/280AI.

Greg

That 6.5 will do a mile.

What’s your secret?
Thanks.

His secret is probably his location: Wyoming.

His secret is probably his location: Wyoming.

I shoot a mile fairly regularly now with altitudes varying from 1300 to 6000 Feet with my 260.
I’ve been at my 1300ish elevation spot mostly as of late because my other spots are full of hunters currently.

Reactions: Bender
I have personally spotted for a shooter/Friend at Triple C near Fort Worth, that not only hit with a 6.5 Creedmoor out of a Tikka factory rifle.... But, also followed up with another conservative hit! The challenge is spotting your misses with the small calibers. Yes, wind, trajectory, BC... etc is all contributing factors. But, if you can’t spot Your misses, you can’t make corrections. I used to shoot a Les Baer AR (.223) at 1000 yards consistently at TacPro. But, when I missed..... Good luck seeing them!

The problem with ELR is the wind deflection and seeing where your bullets land to make any corrections.

That said, a heavier bullet with a higher BC going reasonably fast helps to make the experience easier. That's why 375CT and 416B are so popular for ELR, just saying.

The best compromise to me is the 300PRC with 225's.

I've shot a 30-375R since 2008 which is a ballistic twin to the 300PRC. It was an excellent cartridge for this type of 1 mile or less shooting. So much so that I won a ELR match with it using 230 hybrids and the competition mostly used 338L. I appreciated the lower recoil compared to 338L with 300 grainers.

If you reloaded I would have suggested 300WSM too. It's becoming popular in F-class for a reason and gets better barrel life. It also used to hold a 10 shot 1000Y benchrest record. Basically the 6mmPPC of the 30 cals.
You hinted at something I read in Brian Litz's books, the 230gr 30cal hybrids in his testing out performed all the 338 projectiles through transonic and gave more reliable ELR accuracy. I don't think you can be competitive at a mile with factory ammo, it's a reloader's game to be won.

Let's go back a few years. On July 7th, 2007, Tom Sarver of Thunder Valley Precision took a 338 Lapua Magnum case and necked it down to 30 caliber. He used ~85 grains of H1000 and shot a 240gr Sierra MatchKing with a BC of 0.711 and shot a 5 shot group at 1000 yards for score to break two world records; both the 5-shot group size of 1.564" was broken with his 1.403" group size AND all 5 shots centered and were X-Ring hits for a 50 Score at 1000 yards. INSANE!

Now, over a decade later....many people had the same idea as Tom. Many people tweaked and changed and made improvements to what he showed to be successful. Changes in the cartridge design, new high BC bullets, and tighter specs...and we have the 300PRC. Sure, I'll be the first to say that I'm not getting anywhere near what Tom shot that day...but the potential from my gun and ammo are there....just the ability in me is not.

I've been reloading longer than some here have been alive. I've always said that factory ammo is fine for hunting but I wouldn't dare even try it for shooting precision...but one day soon...I may have to eat those words. 1000 yard rifles are easy to come by now. 10 years ago it was difficult...today it is relatively easy as long as you have decent equipment...not great...just decent. Soon, 1760 yards is going to be like 1000 yards...or maybe like 800 where I see most people starting to fail....and they may be doing it with an off the shelf rifle and a box of ammo they bought at Cabela's.

My choice...get a nice 300PRC and shoot some 225gr Hornady ELD-Ms (G1 BC of 0.777) until you choose to reload and run some 230gr A-Tips (G1 BC of 0.823)....and get those puppies moving at ~3000fps just like ole Tom did back then with the 240 SMKs.

I would try either H4350 or RL-26 & see if your results improve. Both work very well. Some will say RL-26 is too slow BUT they haven't tried it.

The Ruger PRP 300 PRC is an excellent choice for Long Distance , get a good FFP glass , w/ zero stop adjustments, x56mm objective , a nice bipod and you’ll be able to reach a mile consistently with a nice T3 radical reticle and some wind call experience