• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Long range scope

UndFrm

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2022
CA
What is the platform for the scope?
Bolt action

What cartridge are you shooting?
6mm and maybe 7mm

What is your intended use for the scope?
F-Class

What type of conditions will you typically shoot in?
Daylight

What are the typical distances you intend to shoot?
600m to 1500m

Are there any specific specifications you would like?
SFP
Preferably a target dot at the center

What is the price range you can afford?
$850-900

I'm considering Heras 60x and Argos Gen 2 40x although I am not sure if 40 mag would be sufficient.
For Heras, I couldn't find sufficient reviews to make a decision.

Thank you

As a long-time F-class shooter, I can answer your question. F-class is all about exacting precision and dealing with conditions and mirage.

You definitely need an SFP riflescope and while a target dot will be fine, there are more sophisticated reticles used by many (most?) of the top shooters. Currently the best riflescope in F-class is the March-X 8-80X56 HM WA Majesta. It's out of your price point at $4250 and some.

The second best is the March-X 10-60X56 HM, also above your price point at over $3000.

A very popular F-Class scope is the Nightforce Competition 15-55X52 at around $2000 or more. Some Sightrons have a following with some of their higher end scopes and March have others that are less expensive than the 2 listed above, and they use ED glass, not Super ED glass.

I know of some people who use the Delta Styker, or the Kahles and other such scopes. I am not aware of anyone using the Heras or Argos. Athlon is almost non-existent in the F-Class world, but I'm sure someone is using them. I checked the specs on these scopes and I'm sure they will do fine when the conditions are great, but when the mirage comes to play, you will find yourself dialing down the magnification very quickly and by quite a lot.

Reactions: UndFrm
Thank you.
They are quite out of budget. Is there a "minimum" scope that you would suggest for someone just starting in terms of magnification? Or even a suggestion of the scope with the lowest retail price regardless of my budget, or would you say "buy once cry once" and pick from what you suggested above.

Reactions: Denys
Thank you.
They are quite out of budget. Is there a "minimum" scope that you would suggest for someone just starting in terms of magnification? Or even a suggestion of the scope with the lowest retail price regardless of my budget, or would you say "buy once cry once" and pick from what you suggested above.
Any decent riflescope will do to begin and get some experience. The mantra "buy once, cry once" is for children. You should buy wisely.

If you are just starting off in F-Class, you had better brace yourself; it's a money pit. If you intend to do well and be competitive, you are going to spend some serious money in handloading tools and components, optics, rifle, accessories and we're not even talking attending the larger events with travel and fees.

My original response was just for setting some boundaries and give you an idea of what's what these days.

In F-class, every component of the rifle system has to work at its best. There is no sense spending huge amounts of money on a riflescope if your rifle/ammo can't group 20 shots in a half inch or less (and way less if possible) at 100 yards, with your 1000-yard ammo. For me, that a 200gr .308 bullet popping out of a 30-inch tube at 2675FPS. That's definitely not a benchrest combo but it needs to perform as such.

So I would suggest that you get a decent riflescope that will not be the limiting factor in your rifle system, from the start. When your skills (handloading and shooting) reach the point where the riflescope is the limiting factor, you will know what you want in a riflescope, and you will have to justify it to yourself.

The scopes you mention could work, the GE that @Fret mentioned would be fine also.