• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range Scoped Rifle I - N.C. July 18/19

Hogstooth

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2004
Texas
www.vttactical.com
VAPOR TRAIL TACTICAL

Instructor
Sean Little
540 834-3864
[email protected]

LONG RANGE PRECISION SCOPED RIFLE CLASS I
TRAINING SYLABUS

Instructor
Sean Little
540 834-3864
[email protected]

WHERE: Approx. 1 hr from Raliegh, in Goldsboro, North Carolina

WHEN: Two day class- July 18th and 19th, 2009

START TIME: 0700hrs. (That’s 7a.m.) In the parking lot of the Jameson Inn, 1408 S. Harding Dr., Goldsboro, NC. We will convoy to the range approx. 20min. away.

COSTS: $300 per student, paid at the time of class begins Saturday.

DISCOUNTS: A 10% discount for Law Enforcement and Active Duty military

REGISTRATION: Registration will be thru email only! Send Full name, address, phone number, emergency contact info, make/model/caliber of Rifle and make/model of Optic you will be using.

CLASS SIZE: A minimum of six students required, and a maximum of 10 are allowed.

CANCELLATION: This class may be cancelled due to extreme weather conditions, or due to unforeseen circumstances, class will be rescheduled or students who cannot reschedule can get a refund or credit for the next class they can attend.

INTRODUCTION- This course is designed to train the Shooter and Observer in the fundamentals of marksmanship, be able to manipulate their scope, and record all data for evaluation. Each pair will be trained to be shooter and observer and will rotate duties so that each will be effective in either role, students will engage targets out to 600yds. Partners are recommended but not required and students will be paired up for the class. Classes Include:

Safety brief
Fundamentals of Marksmanship
Scope manipulation
Use of Data book
Shooter/ Observer dialog
Range Estimation
Supported positions weak and strong side
Team competition

INTRODUCTION- Precision Scoped Rifle Class will teach the shooter the skills to be effective and engage targets from 50 to 600 yards. The course will consist of 5 hours of instruction, and approx. 16 hours of range time. This is a very high paced course; there will not be a lot of time to waste with all that I want to accomplish in the two days. Come prepared to work, learn and shoot!! The course classes will include:

Safety brief
Fundamentals of Marksmanship
Scope Theory and Adjustment
Use of Data Book
Effects of Weather
Shooter/ Observer dialog
Zeroing
Supported positions weak and strong side

STUDENT REQUIREMENTS

This is the required gear that you must bring to participate in this class, no hunting rifles will be allowed. Read the list!! If you don’t have the proper rifle/ ammo, you will not be allowed to take the class, and your money will be refunded. Please do not register for this class if you do not have a proper rifle, ammunition or cannot borrow one, you will not be allowed to participate and class seats will be lost. Any questions please contact the instructor.

Rifle and Equipment

Bolt Action or Semi Automatic Rifle with Scope. No rifles above 30cal magnum allowed due to range restrictions

Rifle must be capable of shooting 1” groups or better at 100 yards.

Scope must be capable of “dialing” elevation and windage settings, also known as target knobs.

160rds minimum- Factory “match” ammunition recommended for shooting past 600 yards. If you are shooting .308, 175gr bullets are recommended for this course.

Re-Loaded ammunition allowed, if loaded with match components

Don’t forget your magazines- for semi auto or magazine fed bolt guns.

Laser Range Finders, mil dot master or other range est tools if you have them.

Rifle rest, bipod, tripod, shooting bags

Bench rest tables not allowed!

Spotting Scope- If you have one please bring it.

Data Book- We recommend Storm Tactical Data books

Sling- We recommend Tactical Intervention Quick cuff or Slip Cuff Slings, and TAB rifle slings.

Lunch- You will get a 45 min. lunch break, bring your lunch if you can areas to eat are not close by.

Hearing protection- foam earplugs will be available.

Rifle Cleaning equipment- Rods, bore guides, solvents, patches, brushes, bore snakes, scope tools, wrenches, ect.

Bring clothes that match the weather, we will shoot in the cold or rain, rescheduling the course will take place if we have severe weather, i.e. extreme cold or rain, lightning, tornadoes, hurricanes, or a combination of all.

Note pad, pen or pencil for taking notes
If there is any other gear that you want to bring such as shooting mats, tools or other equipment feel free.

CLASS TIMELINE

Sat. 0700-1200 Check- In, Introduction, Classroom instruction

1200-1230 Lunch

1230-1300 Range set up

1300-1700 Focus scope, parallax, zero, and accuracy work at 100 yds. Engage paper targets at 100, 300, 600 yards, 15 rounds of ammo at each yard line.

Sunday 0800-0930 Cold bore shot, confirm zero.

0930-1030 Range Estimation exercise

1030- 1200 Shoot steel unknown distance to 600yds

1200-1245 Lunch

1245-1600 Supported positions weak and strong side

1600-1700 Team Competition

1700-1730 Critique and certificate awards

Cancellation- Students may cancel at any time without penalty and your money will be refunded to you. Class may be cancelled due to range control, base threat conditions, weather, or for lack of participation. Re-scheduling will be determined by the circumstances.

Re: Long Range Scoped Rifle I - N.C. July 18/19

Wow, you have changed you COI a bit, looks good, I will more than likely be in SRC during that time frame, if I get approved to Drive I might swing by and say hey

What does "no hunting rifles will be allowed" mean exactly?

As in wood stocks, hunting scopes,or standard barrel width?

It is not a hunting class, it is a precision rifle class, granted what you learn can be applied to hunting but hunting rifles typically are not designed to shoot past 200yds, don't have scopes that are capable of adjusting elevation and windage to get point of aim point of impact results at distance. Most hunting ammo is not designed to shoot accurately to 600yds either, and when I mean accurate being able to group within 1 MOA or better at any given distance.

It also depends on what type of hunting you do, we don't have many mountains here on the coast, most people are deer hunting in the carolinas and most of the east coast in the woods. Not mountain top to mountain top like in W.Va. or the rockies.

I can't ever say that someone has not shown up with a good hunting rifle, decent scope and match grade type ammo and not been able to do good at the course. It has happened a couple of times but typically you will start to struggle past 300yds if you don't have the right ammo and a scope capable of dialing elevation and windage.

Give me a call and we can talk about it 540 834-3864

Hogstooth,

Saw you on TV yesterday, Never knew you were famous and all that

LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psywar1-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hogstooth,

Saw you on TV yesterday, Never knew you were famous and all that

LOL

</div></div>

This that same interview from last year talking about aiming center mass while standing at the quant range, or a new one?

TV does make you look taller, though. If I didn't know better I'd have come away with the impression you were at least 5' 4".

If I was only 5'4" my name would be Frank, but yes same one from last year, I don't have that channel and am glad I don't.

This was talking about not taking a shot due to restrictive ROE and what effect it had later on your unit having to deal with the bad guys you had in your scope