• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range Targets

JTG

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2006
SW US
I was hoping to find out what others are doing regarding long range targets, and specifically spotting techniques. Been shooting 1500 to 2000 yards at steel, if the steel is freshly painted and has the sun on it I can spot my hits fairly well. At this point it's the audiable note that really confirms a good hit but I was hoping to find affordable solutions that transport well w/ one person. The glass on my S&B's couldn't be better but at 1760 and out there has to be a few alternatives.Any input would help.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Long Range Targets

I shoot at wood targets that are around 3'x 2' and covered in butcher paper. I can't spot my shots for shet past 700 or so even though I'm running a NF 5.5-22. If there is mirage that number falls to 400 or so. So I just shoot at all my targets out to 1300 (my max with my .308) and then drive out and mark up my hits and make notes as to my adjustments. Outside of buying a camera system or some super-telescope, there is no other way.

If there is a spotter, then a good spotting scope with MLR reticle is the way to go. I think JTG was asking an affordable system (financially and ease of transportation) for one shooter to do the shooting and spot at the same time. I have shot with JTG, at the distance that we are shooting, even with our high power rifle scopes, it's tough to spott especially with mirage. JTG, next time, I'll bring my spotting scope, I won't be able to tell you in mil value for the miss, but at least I am sure I'll be able to tell you the hits.

we run a video system out to a mile but I will say if you are shooting alone even our top quality system will be of limited use. There really is no substitute to a spotter. Sure the video lets me see where on the steel I hit but I already knew I hit it as I watch through the scope. If the mirage is kicking so much I cant see my hit I most likely cant hit the steel to start with lol.
I want help when I miss- that is where the video is lacking and where a spotter takes over. Good luck with your effort- long range alone come with an added set of challenges.

One trick I use on my steel. Sand your steel down to bare metal. Then paint it with black paint, and then let it dry good. Then paint it with white paint. This really helps to spot the hits on the steel. I have only been out to 1620 yard. But works really good for anything out to that range. You can see what I am talking about in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Stainlesstumblingmed?feature=mhum

Hi JTG,

I saw somwhere in my readings here on the Hide,IIRC,where someone had put a sensor on the back of their steel which activated a light when the steel was struck.

My 40x48" steel makes the most resounding sound when hit but it's a 2 man job setting it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5WSSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">white on steel is the best... </div></div>

Agree, but at 2200+ yards, with mirage, even the best rifle scope at max magnification still has difficulty spotting the hit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5WSSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">white on steel is the best... </div></div>

Agree, but at 2200+ yards, with mirage, even the best rifle scope at max magnification still has difficulty spotting the hit. </div></div>

I can easily spot my hits at 1500. I've hit steel at 1900 and once my spotter told me where the round fell, I could find it, but certainly not spot my own hit (4-14 Falcon).

We've bounced this around a lot too, and two ideas are currently in the running.

1) Forward spotter with radio. This has some obvious issues. Any of you guys ever try this and how did you guarantee the spotters safety?

2) Forward video with video receiver and monitor at station.

Haven't put a lot of time into research as right now my biggest impediment to shooting these distances is a rangefinder that is accurate at this range.

Curious to see what you guys come up with.

John

Try ground marking paint, the kind for marking underground utilities and such. It seams to "flake" better when struck by a projectile. Hits show up way better with this kind of paint verses regular spray paint. Just my .02

Myself and my partner use 2 techniques for extended long distance shooting. We use video to confirm hits when shooting a mile. The problem is we have no real berm when shooting long range to spot hits off target. To assist us we use a forward spotter with a set of two way radios. To some this may seem potentially hazardous but trust goes a long way in this technique as well as confidence in each others ability to communicate commands and responsibility. The spotter controls the range and conveys his commands via radio to the shooter and no shots fired till both spotter and shooter have confirmed a hot line over the radio. We have a specific location the spotter will be at and at no time will the spotter move till confirmation over the radio is confirmed for cease fire.
There's nothing like being down range and hearing a 338 or 50 cal. screaming by and striking steel!
A good radio system is also extremely important. Also some common sense. If no response or garbled radio chatter is heard the range is cold till confirmation can be received.
Also, for the most part, myself and DKSD39 are the only ones on the range shooting so control is one on one. Not sure if I would want to do this with several shooters unless we have shot with them on a regular basis.

As far as a range finder at these extended distances, we leap frog known distances at our location. We both use leica 1200's. We have steel from 100yds and every 100yds out to 1000. We then range from the 1000yds to our truck parked 760 yards away then turn around and confirm the distance back to the 1000yd steel. The last steel we set up was 1250 and 1500 yards. Unless you have the big bucks for LRF's to go 2500, leap frogging is probably the easiest to do.

Or....... Mark your target with a GPS. Then just measure the distance from the shooter. Easy to do and accurate.

I have used a forward spotter system on numerous occasions. The location where this was done had a hill off to the side of the shooting area, about 50 yards to the right and about 200 yards to the front of the target. Shooter and spotter were both equipped with 2-way radios. The drill was that the spotter would go behind the hill, out of sight of the shooter, and radio that he was ready. The shooter would confirm this, and then fire the shot or group, and then open the bolt and step away from the rifle, and radio the spotter that the range was clear. The spotter would confirm, and then start to walk toward the target. Prior to getting to the shooting lane, the spotter would reach a point from which he could see that the shooter was standing away from the rifle, so he could visually confirm that the range was clear. Once the spotter had seen this, he would radio the shooter that the spotter was proceeding the rest of the way to the target. Once the spotter was finished at the target, he would radio that he was returning to his safe area. He would radio again when he had reached it. The shooter would visually check to make sure he could not see the spotter, and would then radio that he was commencing firing. Only after the spotter radioed that he confirmed that, would the shooter re-approach the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keithtb1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Myself and my partner use 2 techniques for extended long distance shooting. We use video to confirm hits when shooting a mile. The problem is we have no real berm when shooting long range to spot hits off target. To assist us we use a forward spotter with a set of two way radios. To some this may seem potentially hazardous but trust goes a long way in this technique as well as confidence in each others ability to communicate commands and responsibility. The spotter controls the range and conveys his commands via radio to the shooter and no shots fired till both spotter and shooter have confirmed a hot line over the radio. We have a specific location the spotter will be at and at no time will the spotter move till confirmation over the radio is confirmed for cease fire.
There's nothing like being down range and hearing a 338 or 50 cal. screaming by and striking steel!

</div></div>

If you are saying that you have no berm or safe barrier for the spotter then you are a bloody idiot. Your friends are idiots and you need to find another sport.
It takes just one mechanical issue, one shooter mistake to kill someone. Nothing to do with "trust".
Honestly, the type of attitude you have is the same one that kills many people every year. You NEVER take short cuts on safety. Not once, ever.
Either clarify what you are saying or wake up before you have an issue.

Forward fall-of-shot spotting is a common technique -- it is how indirect machinegun, mortar, and artillery fire is adjusted.

when starting with a flat steel target i simply wipe a thin coat of wd-40 over the whole target then spray a coat of white lacquer over the top of that. Lacquer made for wood won't stick to metal well, it takes a good sized flake off when struck.

AUJohn,
If you read the post, the spotter has a designated area that he spots from, nowhere in line from where the shooter is engaging targets. Since the shooter can't see the spotter, "trust" is an important issue in making sure nothing changes unless relayed and confirmed over two-way communication. We have no berm "behind the target" was the statement made. Whats potentially hazardous is being any where "forward" of the shooter, and not controlling it correctly. Now if you don't need anymore clarification, maybe you should think about how to ask a question rather than running on about who's an idiot and safety concerns that are non existent. Some of us don't do this as a "sport" and have to train in real world environments.

Dang Keithtb1, he's acting like your spotter's are standing there holding the steel and saying "man,hold my beer and watch this!". Some people need to get out (of the outback) a little more! US military training must be way ahead of it's time and other countries are just catching up. Who knew???????
wink.gif

I keep trying to get my partner to walk across holding the target up like you see the movers at competitions, but he keeps spilling his beer and then he's cranky the whole day!
smile.gif