• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long range thermal FS

At 18k i would think you would post pics of it.
3B0AE0FF-C4A2-47E8-ABF1-A996DE9A31B0.jpeg

Night Assassin is selling his BAE UTC-x. I happen to have one also. So, NA sent me his to run a comparison against mine. We both agree that the best way to compare two optics is to run them side by side in the same conditions. Unfortunately I will have to use hand held thru the lens pics to record the results, but I still think that is better than other options to try to compare.

I got NA's UTC-x in late morning and quickly moved into the garage with rifle, tripod and both UTC-x(s). I had the NF ATACR 7-35x T3 scope and I set the magnification at 10x and aimed at a tree line on the far side of the alfalfa patch which I ranged at 508yds.

I nuc'd both clipons twice and used the same process for manual focus. I also set both at 5 gain (contrast) and 50% brightness. I followed the same process to focus both. Turn clockwise till fuzzy, turn counterclockwise till fuzzy and make smaller and smaller back and forth adjustments until you are pretty good.

Here's my unit.
48911038451_dd16aa4609_k.jpg

Those trees in the center of the reticle were ranged at 508yds. The fuzzy trees on the edges are at around 100yds ... I'm looking thru one tree line across the alfalfa patch at another tree line.
The "green" tint is due to some light getting in to the objective of the day scope and modifying the color.

And here's NA's unit
48911048621_e4791d5ce7_k.jpg

I think his looks a little better between the two in this case. But there are some variables. I focused his unit more carefully.
Lining up the phone camera in pitch, roll and yaw, is a crap shoot. And that matters.

==
Then I switched the scene and cranked up the magnification to 15x.

I also added two socks I wrapped around the joint between the rear of the utc-x(s) and the day scope to try to reduce the stray light getting in.

The trees on the ridge are 1852 yds away.

Here's my unit:
48911097961_5a1ede9444_k.jpg

And here's NA's unit:
48910582248_5c7ed0938f_k.jpg

I'd give the nod to my unit this time ...

But again there are variables.
Camera angle, front focus on the clipon, and then "sock positioning" !! :D

I will try again at night and the "sock positioning" variable will be removed !

==
But in summary they are definitely very close.

I’ve had several offers, everything from Barrett 50’s to the kitchen sink.....
Looking for cash the most,
$11,500 shipped....

I wish. Oh how I wish.... But my budget is 50% of that...

I offer (2) T50s plus $3500

Someone will buy it at 10500 just takes a while for the buyer to come along. I would have been all over this 6 months ago.

Reactions: TankFrank
I offer (2) T50s plus $3500

Someone will buy it at 10500 just takes a while for the buyer to come along. I would have been all over this 6 months ago.
Thanks Deersniper,
I know you have wanted this from the beginning.
Im looking to down size my night gear, that’s why I’m passing on your offer.
I’ll let people beat me down until it sells or just keep it if the right offer doesn’t come along.
Just surprised it’s still here.....
This blows away my REAP in all aspects by far....