• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long range transsonic 308 load

Kung Kuling

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2017
Hi,
I am a rather new shooter/reloader and also new to this forum. One of my guns is a 308 with a 20" barrel, 1/11 twist, that has been preforming suprisingly well at distances up to 900m with a scenar 155g at 2660fps (not a very hot load). I even get some consistancy at 1000m on a non windy day with that load. This makes me curious to find out what can be done with a hotter load and a better bullet. I know those flatline bullets are increadible but I live in Sweden so import costs are horrible. I dont really want to pay more than berger/nosler prices.So my questions are:

1. What are some loads that you would recommend? Preferably using norma or vithavouri powder which is common in Sweden.

2. Should I go for maximum supersonic range or better transsonic stability when selecting bullets? For instance that new nosler spitzer 168g BC. 0.590, OR Berger 185 hybrid OTM 185g BC .550 which claims to be stable through the transsonic zone.

3. I got really suprised by my 155g scenars at subsonic range, is this transsonic stability problem really as big as commonly claimed? From what i understand the 155 scenars should be pretty useless through the transsonic zone with that long boat tail.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Kung Kuling
Far north of Sweden

Last edited:
Bullets are getting better and better at lighter weights. So you don’t need to go heavy. But i would push those 155s harder. I used to get close to 2900 when I was shooting 308. See how it works for you. If still not impressed, then maybe try the bergers. I was using around 46 of H4895 if I remember correctly. I think N140 is similar.

Great results with plain old SMK 175’s using 44.9 grn’s of Varget in my 20”. Twist was 1/10 and MV 2610 for this 1000 yard 3 Shot group.

I took it it out to a mile the same day but the hit ratio was low. I think the wind from 5-7:00 was the issue since I could see the dust kick up from the misses, left and right of the target.

Attachments

• photo77855.jpg
    photo77855.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 18