• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long range varmint rifle

taracer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2008
Jackson MO USA
Give me a few opinions. I was thinking a 22-250. For sure has to be something that ammo is readily available for at almost any store so nothing exotic. What else are poeple using to shoot long range varmints with. 223 is out due to not enough range and knockdown. Lets hear your opinions. Thanks Gary

Re: Long range varmint rifle

.243 kicks 22-250 butt .

Also , I've taken prairie dogs out to 700 yards with 223 and 52 grn match bullets .

How far can you shoot in MO any how , 50 60 yards max ??

.223 all the way !!!!! For varmint that is. If you are shooting yotes and P-dogs. I have taken yotes out to 350 yards, No Problem. Quality ammo is easy to find. I suggest reloading though.

I run a 243 for long range varmints and yotes. 75gr. V-Max's do a number on them for me and I hear the 87gr. are even better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">30-06 does everything in NA.</div></div> And I hear it does a number on Humans in Europe too.......

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

you can get very good accuracy a pretty long way's out there.

You can buy factory loaded ammo with 77SMK's which will do what you need of them

The kicker with 243 is all the long range rounds, arent factory produced.

If you arent reloading, dont bother with 243 or 22/250, since they dont offer factory long range loaded ammunition.

204 all the way. Cheap to shoot. Flat trajectory. Little recoil (you get to see the action). Good ammo available. Noticably better terminal ballistics over a 223. 1" high @ 100 yards is a 300 yard zero. Hold on a p-dog's head and you will hit him at 400+ wind permitting.

i would say a 6mm [243 ] would be a good step up from the 223. with 87 gr v max or 105 a max should reach out well.

For what you want,you gotta reload,factory ammo will cost a minor fortune and won't be that great.Nor will the choice of bullets.

You can get a pretty good choice in 204,I shot about 200 HDY factory rounds before I loaded for it and they shot great.223 also has a good selection both new and Re-manufactured.

I use to run a 223 rem AR as my primary varmint rig. Good inside of 300yds on groundhogs and coyotes. My shooting got better and I started hitting hogs a little farther out and started getting crawl offs. I went to a 243 shooting 70 gr. Nosler handloads and put them down with authority now. I've got multiple kills in the 400's and one at 500 and most all were DRT. I still use my AR for the shorter stuff, but try to limit them to about 250yds. I've seen factory 55gr. ammo in the 243 and some in the 70gr-75gr. range. If you're shooting anything bigger than prairie dogs and not sitting over large colonies with long shot strings, 243 is where it's at. Handload it and it gets even better
wink.gif

Well it is actually for my inlaws. The only thing they have now is a 22 mag and then straight to a 270 that they deer hunt with. They are wanting something in between for a few coons that are diging up the food plot they have behind the cabin about a 300 yard shot. Not saying it is undoable with a 22 mag but definetly not practical. The only reason I thought 22-250 was for the added speed and balistics over the 223. Not a chance in reloading unless I do it for them so I tought a 22-250 would be easier to find at any store. Not sure about avavlibillity of 204 and others around here. I may just let them use my 223 the rest of the summer and see if they like it or would rather have something else. Thanks Gary

.223 would be my first choice, lots of factory ammo and components available, and good rifles off the shelf ready to go.

IF bench rest was on the cards as well, I would build a 6mmBR on a stock with a alluminium v-block build in to my laminated bench stock, and potentially have a much lighter v-block type stock ready to go for field work.

Obviously that type of setup would cost a little more but i would have the best of both worlds, and the 6mmBR can easily take critters past 600 yards.

.204 hands down unless you are going much bigger like .243. Nothing against a .223 or .22-250, but the .204 makes them look silly. Try one out. They are insane varmint guns. Super fast, super flat, cheap ammo to buy or reload.

223AI is all you will need for any varmint.

223, if you want something for longer ranges than a 22-250.

22-250 is IMO the best for varmints. I've used one of those to slay over 500 grounghogs in the past 6 or 7 years. Its good for 500+ yards.

Lots of options, including the 204 and 243. Ever considered a .223 with a fast twist barrel to shoot heavy bullets?

why not try the 220 swift , lethal at the range your talking plus some.