• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range Varminter

Spanky88

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2009
College Station, TX
Im looking into buying an AR based varmint setup and was curious of everyones input. A couple that caught my eye was the Stag Model 6, as well as the Rock River Arms A4. I have read many reviews on each and both sound great, but I hesitate to trust some of the online review sources. Anybody have any experience with either?

Clayton

Re: Long Range Varminter

I had a nice varminter that I wished I wouldnt have sold.. it was a parts gun but it shot lights out.. it was a Olympic arms SUM (stainless ultra match) barreled upper.. Oly gets a lot of hate but there is one thing they do good and thats barrels.. I had that SUM upper on a RRA lower with a jewell trigger and a magpul PRS stock.. the barrel was a 20" bull 1-10 twist that would shoot 68-69gr bullets like lasers. I got 1/4" MOA out of it one time when conditions were perfect and I was shooting good.. Just a thought..

Ive always heard good things from the RRA varmint guns..

thats some good info... i debated building it from scratch but im not nearly as familiar with ARs as I am bolt guns... How far did you shoot yours with consistency? I noticed that both the stag and the RRA were offered in 24" barrels, 1-8 twist. Obviously a heavier bullet longer range capable barrel according to numbers, but numbers are put down by proof... Id like the gun to be capable of 600 yards. Ill look into that setup and check on availability, which is obviously the hardest part about this whole deal right now.

Thanks again for the intel Dirknar

I only shot steel silhoute gongs(big ones) at 6-700 and that was as far as I shot it. I never tried to group at that distance.. I would always hit little(6-9") plates at 2-400 yards though and that was pretty good for me..

Another option is the Bushmaster Varminter-24" barrel. My buddy had one and he also got amazing accuracy out of it.. like 3/8-1/2"MOA 10-shot groups. It was a nice gun, He also put a Geissle trigger on it and he shot it better instantly. I saw a few of these for sell recently for good prices too.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post1124537

watch some videos that Brownells has listed on their website about AR's and changing parts and such.. It looks pretty darn easy to change barrels even.. You would need a few tools though but the tools arent that costly.

I run a fairly decent AR-15 in F-class competitions from 300 to 1000 yards and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, the most important aspect of an accurate AR is an excellent barrel with a free float tube, shooting superlative ammo.

For 600 yards, you need to get a 1:8 to 1:7 barrel, you will hate yourself if you get a 1:9 or (shudder) 1:12. Once you have the proper barreled upper, the lower can be enhanced over time. The RRA match trigger is decent to start and you can upgrade later. I believe Stag has a good match trigger also, but the RRA's trigger has a good reputation.

+10 on the 1:8 to 1:7 barrel, My next Varmint/accurate AR is going to have one of the above...

yeah i figured a shorter twist and heavier bullet was a given for sub MOA shooting at that range with an AR. Any favorite barrels Sig685?

For AR-15s, to me there is only one answer; Krieger. I got my upper fitted by Krieger with one of their heavy match barrels that they chambered in what they call 5.56 Match. It's a very tight chamber with a long leade meant for long bullets, seated long. Beware, that chamber is VERY tight; the accuracy is outstanding.

Other builders will use Krieger blanks and build you an upper. There are other barrel makers for AR-15s, for other people.

Go with a RRA varminter or predator pursuit and you'll never look back. They almost
all shoot 1/2". Let me correct that, They will turn in 1/2" groups.

Its a little more expensive but you might look at the Colt Elite HBAR CAR. I have owned 2 still have 1 and they both shoot 1/2" consistantly, 1/9 twist barrel which alot of people want the 1/8 its all about personl preference though. Not huge colt fanboy, I dont own any of thier carbines, just thier match target comp HBAR and HBAR elite.

the kreiger barrel system is impressive... i could definitely see use for it at the competitive level but it may be more than i need. the colt also looks great but i think a 69+ grain bullet would favor the 1:8 or 1:7. Thanks for all the input. Ill keep looking around and comment back when i find something.

I have been running 69's through 1x9 since I have been shooting AR's, the only advantage you get out of 1x8 and 1x7 you need a sled or bolt gun to take advantage of IE 80+ grainers

Spanky88, yes it can get expensive but there is no need to do that right now. You can easily start with ones you listed at the start and change the barrel later on, or build another upper with a better barrel. I did not start off with a Krieger barrel on mine, it started life as an Armalite M15A4(T) and I upgraded it over time.

The original barrel was very good, for a factory rifle but there was a definite uptick in scores after the barrel change. The great thing with ARs is that you can do a lot of the work yourself and there is such a vast array of great parts to chose from.

ArmaLite has a great float tube and a very nice 2 stage NM trigger; I realise they were not on your list but I thought I would mention them.

At any rate, the upper is where it all counts and that's where you will put your efforts over time, on the rifle side. The other aspect of this long range varminter is the ammo and this is where you will need to do some work. I hope you handload and that you have good tools and components. We can discuss that aspect when the time is right.