• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Rem Throat + Magazine length = What???

Muttt

Sergeant
Minuteman
So,

I am using 168gr AMAX. I've measured my rifles throat using the cleaning rod method and came up with 2.950"

If I back it off the lands .020 that puts me at 2.930".

But, Remingtons magazines are only 2.870.

So, is it even worth messing with length. The jump is so far, I just don't see how it could make a difference.

Thoughts???

Re: Long Rem Throat + Magazine length = What???

I too had the long throat issue with my 5R. I found a load that worked well when seated off the lands 2 thou, but could only single feed them. I had to work up a new load so that I could fit them in the magazine. I seat the bullets just so they will barely fit in the magazine. I ended up having to go up .5 grains using Varget in order for them to shoot -1 MOA. Hope this helps.

Don’t sweat it. Load to max mag length, find the best accuracy node at that length then start seating the bullet a little deeper and see if accuracy improves.

FWIW I have found 2.825ish works with many BTHP's in more than one Remington 308 and my current 168 vld load is around 2.810”

I agree with Niles, the R700's are tolerant of jump with a lot of popular projectiles. I load mine (168 SMK's) to 2.82" COAL and it works.

I agree with Nyles also. My .308 loads are 175gr Berger BT LR @ 2.810

Agree or not, that is your only choice unless you want to single feed your ammo.

My best shooting load for a .300 Wby is jumping over 5/8" and seating depth somehow still has an effect. I know they are two different beasts, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.