• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Runs with CCW

rulellis

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2018
The only post I could find on the topic is 10 years old, that said hopefully there is more information available now. I try to run 4-5 days a week, aiming for 4-10 miles depending on the day, then sometimes long runs. Anyone have a good solution for carrying a firearm while running that does not bounce terribly and rub you raw? Preferably not a bag or a pack, I generally run in just shorts and a T-shirt and rarely carry water.

I saw Arrowhead Tactical is making some pretty interesting looking workout attire; if anyone has tried it I would love to hear what you think.

I am up for a smaller lighter firearm, different holster, different clothes - really anything as I have not found any combination that is comfortable at this point.

Reactions: Sidewinder66
LIght gun like a S&W .380 Body Gaurd in a belly band. I knida gave up running but this worked for me. Even a M&P Shield was ok for 5k. I did get some rust on roll pins.

Reactions: Evintos
While not running I bike and hike a lot. I have found a good belt (I use the blade tech ratchet one) will allow you to snug the holster so it moves very little. Combined with a light gun and a good holster you are good to go. I did glue thick soft fleece to the back of the holster where it meets skin to stop it rubbing raw.

Can you sew?

I used neoprene and run with a J frame. No bounce, hides under a pair of shorts alone. I run 20+ per week.

Luckily where I run now, there's little need for heat unless a viscous dog happened to want a piece of me. At one time however, I did run with a very light S&W 360PD (5-shot, J-frame) in a 5.11 fanny pack (Concealed Carry Fanny Pack Pistol Pouch - 5.11 Tactical). That fanny pack was worthless. One day after coming back from a run, I went to put my fanny pack/heater away, and guess what . . . no pistola. Thank goodness it fell out on the sidewalk inside my backyard fence and not out on the street somewhere. I chucked that pack right then and there. If I were in need of a means to carry while running, I think I'd look at the type of vests crazy endurance trail runners use. They carry water, phones, and other items in them while running insane distances. Unlike something that goes around your waist, a vest keeps the weight and items right up high and tight to your chest where it moves around the least. I have a basic (~$50) 2L running vest I use now for carrying my iPhone, wallet, and car keys while I'm on business trips and it's really nice. Some of the more expensive, higher volume ones might work well. They wouldn't have the speed of presentation that something else might, but everything is a compromise. Alertness goes a long ways in mitigating for draw speed.

The Hill People Gear Runner's Bag is definitely interesting and looks comfortable.

What did you sew with neoprene? Can you send a picture of what you made so I can see what you are talking about? (I don't sew, but my wife is pretty good).

Reactions: Cacciatore
The only post I could find on the topic is 10 years old, that said hopefully there is more information available now. I try to run 4-5 days a week, aiming for 4-10 miles depending on the day, then sometimes long runs. Anyone have a good solution for carrying a firearm while running that does not bounce terribly and rub you raw? Preferably not a bag or a pack, I generally run in just shorts and a T-shirt and rarely carry water.

I saw Arrowhead Tactical is making some pretty interesting looking workout attire; if anyone has tried it I would love to hear what you think.

I am up for a smaller lighter firearm, different holster, different clothes - really anything as I have not found any combination that is comfortable at this point.
Have you looked into the Phlster Enigma?

Fast forward to about 9:20 in the video below

Last edited:
I use the HPG Original Kit Bag for working out and love it. If I were running, the Runners kit bag would be ideal. The runner strap that they sell that's extra is worth it. I honestly don't think I would bother with anything other than one of these kit bags...

Reactions: Feesh
rulellis
Recommend Smart Carry

I jogged and walked many miles in hot and humid Texas Sun with lots of sweating and rain carrying a G-26.

https://www.smartcarry.com/single-gun-holster

Do recommend Smart Carry.

They are very comfortable and you can wash them
xCGyHmHl.png

The Hill People Gear Runner's Bag is definitely interesting and looks comfortable.

I've used this running, mtn biking, hiking for many years, I can't imagine a better solution. You can also fit your phone, keys, id. If you get it, I recommend buying these strap retainers like you see in the picture attached. (the black thingies on the straps) Until I put those on, I had problems with the straps flopping around and falling out of adjustment because the elastic retainers don't hold the excess strap length very well. Those strap thingies I bought at REI.
IMG_20210301_185402992.jpg

I give strong support to the Hill People Gear. I use the runner attachment on all of mine for the added stability - you never know when you are going to need to move more rapidly than you had planned. And it is necessary for actually running. I originally got it to add weight to my body for endurance training (not interested in a weight vest when I can invest in something to be used in many other situations as well) since it sits on the front and has lots of stuff you can add to the back if wanted. I just remove the bag and wash the straps once or twice a month when the smell of history starts to rise.

Thank you all for the input, I am definitely looking into both the Hill People Gear and the Phlster Enigma. I think I will buy both (at least if the Phlster Enigma comes back in stock), I can see one working well for short runs and the other for long. Also, always nice to have additional options.

Maybe something along the lines of a concealed holster shirt? Tru-Spec has one and I think 5-11 use to make them.

I am looking for something more discreet as well for hiking. I may check out the Hill People pack. Thinking it will need to house a G29 or G20, if I can find one in stock. I would roll with my G40 and Kenai but I feel the need to be more discreet in the National Parks during out trip. Anyone one have other options that works well with a day pack?

Eberlestock has a bino harness that holds a pistol, called the nose gunner. That’s about all I know about it.

I have Hill People Gear Recon and Snubby. I use the snubby more than recon. I like both of them. However, if another company offered a similar chest rig, I would buy from that company instead of HPG.

I wear a G20 for 12 or so days straight in the woods elk hunting and use a Gunfighter Inc Kenai chest holster. Very comfortable for what I do. It flexes well but don't know about running in it. Haven't been chased after running out of ammo yet.

Reactions: Fig
I've successfully carried my Scandium J Frame and Sig P365 in a Coaxsher radio chest pack.
This pack is intended for SAR radios and is pretty comfy and doesn't bounce. My pistol goes in the main zippered pocket.

When I was still an LEO, and was running 4-5 miles a day, I carried my duty weapon (G22) in an Uncle Mike's synthetic paddle holster (shorts w/drawstring). That should tell you how long ago that was! (ca. 2004). My knees won't let me run any more, but on walks, I carry a custom G19 in a gunfighters' Kenai chest holster.

Last edited:
I regularly do 5 milers with a Glock 43 with ulticlip at 4 o clock, with only lululemon running shorts tied snug before gun goes in. It doesn’t bounce TOO bad, I normally do appendix but that would be way too much bounce while running. You sort of get butt cheek support at 4 o clock. If I were going further I’d maybe switch shorts and wear UA boxerjocks. It’s a tough balance but this combo works

I’ve tried running with a light semi auto in an inside the waist holster. I ended up uncomfortable and with hip pain from cinching it tight.

A belly band works OK, gets a bit hot at times, but holds securely. I think mine is from Elite Survival Systems

There are tshirts that have holsters built into them, made of a high end spandex material with cushioned pockets. Other than that, get a smaller edc, p365 Sig, Hellcat by Springfield or such. Combine the 2. There really isn't much else available for that of which you speak.

I've been using a Nathan 5K Waist Belt for 6 years now doing a comparable amount of running you aim for. It easily holds an LCP size pistol and with no rubbing issues. The only belt I've found that is comfortable and not bulky.

https://www.nathansports.com/produc...Pwd_AlXN-k2Eo-vD0yCLN-koGpPDMjthoCRkgQAvD_BwE

I am up for a smaller lighter firearm, different holster, different clothes - really anything as I have not found any combination that is comfortable at this poi

Attachments

• 616-DhhQZ4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    616-DhhQZ4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 26
Hill people gear chest rig. Secret service agent using it for jog with Ivanka Trump

39180492-9250435-image-a-215_1613074124873.jpg

I'd like to have that exact setup so I'm interested in the results!
I will post updates on it when it comes in. Initially I was going to buy a G20 or G29 before my trip to have something "more concealable". I opted for the HPG Original V2 as it should fit the G40 and it doesn't have webbing or other obvious "tactical" features on the exterior. I want to blend in as much as possible while hiking in the National Parks on our trip yet have some defense against bears or other treats. Plus Im still torn between the G20 and 29.

I've used a Smart Carry for years with an M&P Shield with no issues. Takes a little getting used to, but after a few runs you won't even notice it. I would also look into the Phlster Enigma as an option.

I have Hill People Gear Recon and Snubby. I use the snubby more than recon. I like both of them. However, if another company offered a similar chest rig, I would buy from that company instead of HPG.
Also curious why? Considering the running rig

I wear the same holster and belt I wear for EDC, just make sure your workout shorts have belt loops.
Anything that flops, bounces or lets the gun move won't work.

Also curious why? Considering the running rig
Nothing to do with quality of product, just difficult experience working with company on a couple of orders.

If asking why on the snubby? It holds a glock 43, 43x or 19 with trigger guard perfectly along with ID perfectly. The recon is overkill for just a recreational run.

You'll struggle to find anything that is actually comfortable for long runs. I've been down this path before and asked for suggestions on forums, 99% of them were junk. Running means a lot of things to a lot of people.

If you are actually running (as in <8:00 pace) for 4+ miles I don't think you'll find anything that'll work well. You'll definitely need the lightest and slimmest gun you can find.

One of the better pieces of gear I've used for carrying stuff on the road and trail is the UD Utility Belt:

Very slim and low profile. Perfect for carrying keys, phone, wallet, knife, headlamp, calories. Could probably tote a J frame or slim/light .380. it's all mesh which works great in the summer. I've done 15 mile runs with it on, never any discomfort. It does OK with a 12oz soft bottle.

It's not adjustable, so read the directions and measure your waist.

I carry a LCP 380 in a sticky holster if I’m running in the summer where it’s only shorts and a tee shirt.