• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Term Affect of Copper in Barrel?

landtoy80

Sergeant
Minuteman
Is there any affect on the bore from long term copper fouling over a time of months or years?
I have been on the road much this last year and might be on the road more. Do I need to get rid of the copper in the barrel if I will be gone for months or a year+?
I normally just oil down the bore before I leave and do a copper removal if I am board and/or it needs it.

Does it make any difference if the its stainless steel, chrome lined or just plane steel?

Can rust form under the copper fouling?

Re: Long Term Affect of Copper in Barrel?

when leaving a rifle for any extended amount of time it is highly advisable to clean it completely and grease it also put a condensation or humidity eliminator in the safe rust is going to be your first and last enemy here

another thing that helps is to release the tension off the bolt so the spring doesn't lose its power

i hope this helps

Springs don't get weak from sitting with pressure on them, they breakdown from movement. I will say that I wouldn't leave copper in my barrel for years. My father however is not a cleaner by nature. I have seen bright green oxidized copper in his barrels after sitting for over year in the safe. After the first shot the green is gone and accuracy does not really seem to be harmed.

If it were me I would clean the barrel well run an oil soaked patch down it and put it away.

Or sell it me for cheap...

When putting a rifle away for weeks to months, I don't do anything special. It gets placed in a climate controlled environment and left.

If I was storing a rifle for a year or more, then I would clean the bore with a regular bore solvent patching as normal. Once I was done with the solvent I would hose it out with brake cleaner to make sure all of the solvent is gone (some are highly corrosive when left over time). Once the brake cleaner has exaporated, then run an oiled patch through the barrel. Clean the action as you normally would. Protect the muzzle and stand the rifle on it's nose. You do not want any of that oil seeping back into the bolt or trigger.

Your environment is going to have a lot to do with what steps you need to take for storage. In a perfectly dry/hot environment you may not need to do anything. If you live in the swamp then you may find yourself packing it in cosmo.

Google "Galvanic corrosion."

Iron in the steel can give up an electron (?) to bond with the copper and water from a humid environment. Both rust and galvanic corrosion can lead to pitting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Google "Galvanic corrosion."

Iron in the steel can give up an electron (?) to bond with the copper and water from a humid environment. Both rust and galvanic corrosion can lead to pitting. </div></div>

Agree with Sinister! The galvanic reaction can cause corrosion. I made the mistake of not thoroughly cleaning two barrels, one stainless, the other chrome moly, and both got minor pitting. Now, I clean my barrels, leave a trace of CLP in them, and use dessicant packets in their storage space.

If your gonna store them you might as well clean them first.
Doesn't take that long & better safe than sorry.

I would clean them best I can if they're staying for an undetermined amount of time.

Even if you're storing them in a safe with a dehumidifier. And if you can, spot check them and clean them again a few months later, this time just as needed.

It doesn't take much to get them clean to avoid corrosion, rust or just plan grime.

Not sure how much of a problem the copper metal is in and of itself. However, the carbon and salt deposits left over from shooting can be very hygroscopic (ie. attract moisture to the inner surface of your barrel, even when using dessicants). Better to clean and lube of you're going to let it sit a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VaFarmer2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your gonna store them you might as well clean them first.
Doesn't take that long & better safe than sorry. </div></div>

yup... half the fun of shooting for me is cleaning my rifles!