• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Long throat on a 300 WSM?

spaniel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2006
I've always heard that the 300 WSM cannot perform to its potential with 200gr bullets in a short action because either a) seated to mag length, the longer bullet will eat too much case capacity, and/or b) most of them are not throated long enough to seat the 200gr bullet out enough to preserve case capacity.

I'd like to build a light carry 300 WSM Savage (blind magazine) and plan to use a Shilen drop in barrel. The barrel will probably make a trip to a smith anyways for to be threaded for a removable brake. Assuming what I have been told above is true, is it a straightforward task to have them cut the throat a bit longer? I assume I need to have the platform fairly well complete so that I can assemble an appropriate dummy cartridge that will feed from the mag so they know where to put the throat?

Re: Long throat on a 300 WSM?

If it need to be throated longer, I would send the barreled action to your smith with the dummy round. That way he can get it right. Also, look into the 208 amax for the 300 WSM. The throat may not need to be touched with those.