• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long throated 300 wsm's?

DixonFive0

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2020
Greetings,

I'm wanting to purchase a 300 wsm, but research has shown me that some factory chambers are pretty short throated in which will limit shooting the long high BC bullets.

Therefore, my question is what factory offerings do you know of that are long throated or longer OAL (if that makes sense)?

For example I know Tikka's are all long actions, and the short actions just have a bolt stop. However, I know factory Tikka's use a 1:11 twist in 300 WSM which will still limit the heavy high bc bullets. Any others you can recommend?

I seriously doubt you’ll find factory offerings with the twist and freebore you desire

There’s a well known F class reamer with the proper throat that should still fit a tikka long action just fine.

There's a good read about testing done on the .300 WSM at Nosler- which showed SAAMI spec chamber was actually better than one throated .250 longer. When I built mine recently I stuck with SAAMI...

Doesn't seem to be a way to attach .PDF files here or I'd post it up.

I have a good friend of mine who had to get his 300WSM custom-cut because he wanted a longer throat. I don't think you'll find any factory offerings that allow for what you're looking for, unfortunately.

SAAMI chamber has .188” of freebore. Some barrel manufacturers will make a shorter throat standard. I took my 300 WSM chamber (on a Remington 700 SA) and used a Uni-throater and added .060” to the throat. My COAL at the lands for a 200gr ELD-X went from 2.900 to 2.960. I have a Wyatt’s box cut and load to 2.91 and get 1/4” groups all day. I’ll be loading 205 Berger’s and 190 Berger’s to 2.97. After this season I’ll add another .080-.100” to the freebore and drop the barrel in a Remington LA I have lying around. I’ll start loading the 212 ELDX at 3.20-3.25”