• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long time student, first time post!

Target In Sight

Where my shots go?!?!?!
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2009
Cali
Hi All,

Been a loyal student and learning from this site for a long time. Learned so much from everyone, and love the community here on the hide.

New to LR shooting and did not want to spend too much $$ on the first LR rifle (hate to waste the barrel life on my pathetic shooting skill). I learned not to be cheap on the scope however. My first set up, and like to hear all your recommandations and critics. Thinking about having a local smith to do some work on it, but also debate on saving the $$ for a future custome rifle build, since the gun shoots true. What would you recommand?

Stock R5 with NXS 3.5-15x50 mil/mil w/Zerostop, NF rings/base
IMG_0069-1.jpg

IMG_0095-1.jpg

Best group at 100yd
R5_100yd.jpg

Oh!! signed on the online class and learned so much more in much faster time. The instructors did an awesome job!!! Been practice ever since, and hope to take lesson at Rifles Only in the near future. My goal is to be able to reach 1000 yard someday, I know, lots of work, but Im determined!! =P

I have known most of you well by following up what you have post here, looking forward for more to come!!

Dyl..

Re: Long time student, first time post!

Nice set up and welcome to the Hide. Looks like you are off to a solid start. Not meaning to be an a$$ but your rifle is a 5R, not an R5 though.

Currently I am in your area and should be picking up a new rifle once I can get to the FFL and start the 10 day waiting period. I'll be arranging some shooting shortly afterwards in the beginning of July. PM me if you are interested in coming along.

sorry, I guess its called 5R, or whichever Rem. named it. =)
Thanks for the welcome, and would love to join any shooting events with local hide members.

I love to go to the Angeles Range since they have the longest range here in S. Cal, out to 700 yards. I am practicing my FOM, but sometimes its fun to fire a few rounds at longer range before I pack up and go home.

Dyl..

I'd say you're off to a good start; but looking closer, it's fairly clear you are well past that.

I applaud your viewpoint re: shooting skill and bore life. Miirors my own philosophy. When my skills dip, my rimfire comes out, to be employed until the skill improves again, enough so to make me worthy of my more elegant equipment.

If you don't have a rimfire trainer (and it need be neither closely similar to your prime shooter, nor grossly elegant in its own rite); then providing one will fill a very important niche in one's arsenal.

Greg

Now, then; about optics for the rimfire trainer.

Unless you are planning on operating in minimal light, or at ridiculous distances (say, beyond 300yd), it's OK to skimp a little on the buckage.

I use Tasco VAR624X42M 6-24x42mm Variable Varmint/Target scopes. They have an AO that focuses down to 15yd, covered resettable 1/4MOA click target knobs, 1" tube, 75MOA or more of vertical adjustment, Mil at 10x, and have an average retail pricetag around $80. My four have done serious duty on .22's, a lightweight M70 .30-'06, and my 1Kyd .260 custom Savage F class comp rifle. Not especially good (or bad) in dim light, but clearly adequate, and failure free after well over three years so far.

Greg

Don't sweat it.. I call my 5r a R5 all the time... Only cause it sounds cooler!

Thank you Sir.,
Like I have said, I have been a long time student here, and I have very high respect to your words of wisdoms. You are very knowledgeable in many espects, and most of them are built from your personal experience, yet I have not seen one post of yours that look down on new comers. You have always share your valuable knowledge with others with humble, polite, and kind words no matter who is asking the question. I really appreciate you and many others here that keeps this community in check and enjoyable.

I do not have a .22 rifle, but I have a few ARs, and built one for my girl friend in a varmint set up. After reading about rim fire rifles, the 2 advantages I conclude that best serves me are 1. less expensive ammo. and 2. less recoil for practice. My varmint set up has a 24" heavy barrel so the recoil is very manageable, its got a 2 stage match trigger and an inexpensive scope on it. The ammo is more expensive than .22, but I have store up some from before, and compare to spending about another $1k building a .22 rifle, I thought I stick with this 24" AR for practice for the time being. (just built the .308, need time to recover). I will certainly take a good look at the Tasco scope you have mentioned. The scope I have on this gun does not hold zero well after storing it for a long while (6month+).

Dyl..

Thank you all for the warm welcomes!!

Heading to the range on friday, mainly to put what I have been practiced from the online class to the live round and target. Hope this time I can bring back more things to practice/correct on. The more I have learned, the more area I know to check for when I shoot. This is a never ending yet fun thing to do, and the best thing is, did I said it is never ending?

Cheers!!

Dyl..

There are other advantages to the .22lr. It permits serious practice without the visual or audible signatures that will get folks twigged the way a supertacticool approach might. I don't giveahoot, but some may be looking for trouble.

What's important is the marksmanship, and not the distance at which one can achieve it. In fact, having performance limtations that are shorter can even be an advantage in itself.

The effects of environment, wind etc., can be examined and trained upon on a much smaller venue which is also likely to be closer to home as well. What takes 1000yd with .308, or 5-600yd with .223, can often be accomplished in a fairly similar manner at 2-300yd with a .22LR.

When you have a heart condition like I do, it's heckuva lot easier to walk out to 200yd to change targets than it is to walk further for the centerfire. I get plenty much enough exercise at 200yd, and spend my time more effectively with the shorter walking distance.

The only rifle caliber I can use indoors at our facility is .22LR.

Greg

Thank you Sir.,
Again, you have taught me something new. I have not yet shot any real long distance, so I keep having the idea that being able to achieve long distance shot effectively and consistantly is different than say, 100, 200 yard shooting. My limited knowledge about LR holds me back to doing what I have been doing.
<span style="color: #FF0000">What takes 1000yd with .308, or 5-600yd with .223, can often be accomplished in a fairly similar manner at 2-300yd with a .22LR.</span>, and <span style="color: #FF0000">It permits serious practice without the visual or audible signatures .</span> are the two lessons I can take home today. I will certainly build a .22LR rifle when budget permits.

It’s a long journey, yet each steps is fun and rewarding. =)

Dyl..