• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Longer barrel = Faster ammo?

Golfnut721

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2019
Bloomington Indiana
With barrel lengths increasing I’ve heard some people say that once you go above 23”+ you need to start looking at faster ammo, not super sonic but, the likes of lapua long range, Sk long range match, etc.

Any thoughts or experience with this.

I used a 26” barrel for a few matches last winter and my MV was SLOW. I’m sure the cold weather was a huge contributing factor but it was way too slow for my taste. SK Match if I remember was doing around 800-900 fps.

I have not heard this but my 25” muller works using R50 averages right at 1100fps with the lot I have (332ms). I tried some Lapua LR and SLR in the beginning and it was around 1130ish but didn’t shoot all that well.

My 26" Shilen Vudoo 360 averages 1108 with R-50. Fast enough for me!

Shoot what groups best. Dial a little more, dial a little less..

More than a 20” barrel with match ammo will begin to slow the bullet due to friction. There may be good reasons to have a longer barrel, but speed is not one of them.

The lot of R50 I tested did 1120 out of my 20”. So yeah I see it being at least 1100 give or take out of a longer barrel.

The .22LR cartridge achieves maximum velocity at about 17-18 inches of barrel travel. After that the round is coasting and slowing down.

If you are shooting at 50 yards/meters 1040 fps is considered by many to be the best compromise for accuracy/consistency and wind drift.

When you get out to 100+ yards you will need more velocity to maintain bullet stability.

TKH

Reactions: Appalachian
My goal with a longer barrel was lower sd/es not more or less speed
Tomiboy,

I think that is built into the ammo. I don't know how one would alter it. Other than altering the ammo itself.

If you recall Calfee experimented with extra long barrels for awhile. I think he was trying to slow the ammo to a more consistent velocity, but I really don't know his thinking. I do know he gave it up after a couple of tests.

If you find a way, please share.

TKH

Reactions: STex and grauhanen
Anecdotal but I’ve had friends show up to rimfire BR matches with their PRS setups (shorter barrels and standard bipods/rear bags) and have won.

I used a 26” barrel for a few matches last winter and my MV was SLOW. I’m sure the cold weather was a huge contributing factor but it was way too slow for my taste. SK Match if I remember was doing around 800-900 fps.
I’ve found SK very temp sensitive, especially with high humidity it’s very slow.

Reactions: King_beardsly
I’ve been running a 23” 12t this season and noticed it was a little slower then my 20” 16t but the consistency better SD/ES and also seems less picky about ammo selection.

Now I don’t know if it’s the added length or possibly the quicker twist rate that’s causing the slow down of roughly 20FPS at the same temperature. They are also two different manufacturers so it’s really not an apples to apples comparison but simply my observations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emerson0311
MDT ran a 31" cut to 12" over a chrono
Here is the plotting, do not mind the slowest speed text.
Screenshot_20230910-231518.jpg

More than a 20” barrel with match ammo will begin to slow the bullet due to friction. There may be good reasons to have a longer barrel, but speed is not one of them.
Totally untrue.

Here are some chronograph results from this weekend while I was practicing.

Vudoo V22S, 26 1/4" Shilen Ratchet Barrel, Harrell Tuner and Bob's Tube 6 1/2". Temperature 90*, Humidity 40%.

10 shot string for each ammo.

Lapua XAct, ......................Av. Vel. 1065, ES 25, SD 7.25....speed on box 26
Lapua Midas+, Lot #1, Av. Vel. 1069, ES 24, SD 7.26.....speed on box 25
Lapua Midas+ Lot #2, Av. Vel. 1063, Es 24, SD 3.61.......speed on box 24

SK Semi Auto, ....Av. Vel. 1140, ES 44, SD 13.21
SK Pistol Match, Av. Vel. 1044, ES 39, SD 10.74

Eley Tenex Lot #1, Av. Vel. 1110, ES 17, SD 5.48........speed on box 1060
Eley Tenex Lot #2, Av. Vel. 1108, ES 17, SD 4.36........speed on box 1048
Eley Match Lot #1, Av. Vel. 1106, ES, 17, SD 4.72......speed on box 1047
Eley Match Lot #2, Av. Vel. 1098, ES 25, SD 6.41.......speed on box 1041
Eley SABRP.............Av. Vel. 1109, ES 23, SD 5.86...........speed on box 1035

RWS Target Rifle, Av. Vel. 1086, ES 32, SD 10.27

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowpokey
Nice results!
Thanks!!

Shooting over a chrony isn't something I do a lot. I see a lot of people asking about it so I decided to see what kind of results I would get from my rifle. I must admit...I was expecting a little slower velocities except on the ammo I could hear cracking at the shot.

I know results from barrel to barrel will be somewhat different......Does this seem to fall in line with most results?

Reactions: RTH1800
Thanks!!

Shooting over a chrony isn't something I do a lot. I see a lot of people asking about it so I decided to see what kind of results I would get from my rifle. I must admit...I was expecting a little slower velocities except on the ammo I could hear cracking at the shot.

I know results from barrel to barrel will be somewhat different......Does this seem to fall in line with most results?
Good stuff man. When I was lot testing my Vudoo I shot every round over the lab radar. Mostly cause I wanted to see how consistent top match ammo was. Here are some notes I wrote down when shooting several 10 shot strings and letting the lab radar run for a big sample size.

Attachments

• IMG_7844.jpeg
    IMG_7844.jpeg
    496.9 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: BowChamp
Lots are not always consistent over the chrony. When chronographing boxes at a time, many .22LR match ammos such as Midas + and Center X may have quite different ES and SD figures for each set of 50 rounds. Strings of ten shots don't give reliable information and will show even more variation.

Lots are not always consistent over the chrony. When chronographing boxes at a time, many .22LR match ammos such as Midas + and Center X may have quite different ES and SD figures for each set of 50 rounds. Strings of ten shots don't give reliable information and will show even more variation.
Yes sir I agree. I did notice this with Lapua ammo. I ended up using RWS 50 cause it showed me the most consistent box after box. Like this past weekend I was just messing around at 50yds and shot this 30rd group. I’ve been very happy with RWS.

Attachments

• IMG_8437.jpeg
    IMG_8437.jpeg
    543.4 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Mxridr and HPIguy
RWS won me over with it's consistency from box to box too.. 334m seems to be the ticket for me..I honestly could have went with any of the 10 lots they sent me either time..The very little difference I saw could have been shooters error.

Reactions: Coyote777
Good stuff man. When I was lot testing my Vudoo I shot every round over the lab radar. Mostly cause I wanted to see how consistent top match ammo was. Here are some notes I wrote down when shooting several 10 shot strings and letting the lab radar run for a big sample size.
I've been trying a little RWS recently and giving serious thought to doing some lot testing. What I have tried has been a box of R50 here and their that others shooters have given me.......all of it has shot pretty good.