• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Longer Range MIL Reticles

usmcmk12

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2013
California
I'm currently running a Leupold with the TMR reticle. The only thing is I would like to not dial out to 1,000 yards. The bushnell G2 would be perfect but those scopes are tanks and I go light. Are there any other manufacturers with MIL based reticles that you can hold at least 10 Mils on a model with a magnification of 20X? I know about the Horus reticles but they are way too busy. Anyone know of anything new coming out?

Almost all of IOR Valdada FFP scopes have 15 mils on the reticle: 2.5-10x42, 3.5-18x44, 3.5-18x50, 4-16x50, 6-24x50....

Here's a thought.

Zero at the top of your TMR instead of the center.

10 mils of holds....spent zero dollars.

Your welcome. ;)

I have been planning on doing this with my 458 Socom project to help cope with the extreme drop with subsonics.....just got to wondering, will it introduce any significant problems using the reference points out closer to the edges of the field of view.....such as parallax issues, or is it mostly just an issue of less then optimal clarity looking through the outer edges of the scope? I have heard it said that the sweet spot in the optics was in the center, just got to wondering if that was just about clarity, or if there are other concerns too.

I guess after giving it a little more thought, the horus reticles wouldn't be the best idea if it introduced error into your aiming when you were using the lower portion of the reticle. Maybe I answered my own question, but if anyone has anything to add....feel free.

Last edited:
It's not a matter of having that many mils present on the reticle, it's having the FOV making them still visible when dialed at >20x.

I just bought a IOR Valdada 4-28x50 with a 40mm tube. It has 20 mil below the center and 20 mil above. At 39oz. it is kind of heavy, also it is 14 in. long. I have taken it out and got it sighted in at 200 yards, I do like the reticle. With the 40mm tube it has 35 mil of adjustment. Have not been able to go beyond 200 but should get the chance to take it out to 600 at the end of the month at 100 yard increments.

Change your zero distance. With .308 a 600yd zero at center works quite well.

Or do your zero right in the crosshairs and then dial 5 mills and you will have the entire length of the reticle to work with. That will be 10+ mills of holdover depending on your stadia.

Someone was also suggesting the Gen2 XR, Premier does that reticle very nicely but those are great optics, but big. IORs do the MP8 which has a lot of hold over but once again bulky optics.

Look into the Mark6 20x from leupold and do the tremor 2, it's busy but it's awesome for wind and holdovers.

Longer Range MIL Reticles

MSR in a Steiner 5-25.

I like the Gen II XL and the Klein, both hard to come by now.

It's not a matter of having that many mils present on the reticle, it's having the FOV making them still visible when dialed at >20x.

This.

For example, the S&B 3-20x50 has a 2.1m FOV @ 100m at 20x. That equates to a FOV of 21 mils. If the reticle is subtended 10 mils from the cross hair, you are good for a 10 mil hold at 20x. If your reticle is not subtended to 10 mils from the cross hairs, or if the FOV is less than 20 mils at 20x, you can't hold 10 mils over. If the FOV is less than 20 mils, then the reticle needs to have the cross hairs located in the upper half of the FOV like the H37.

So, look for a scope with a FOV of greater than 20 mils at 20x or greater with a reticle demarcated to 10 or more mils below the cross hairs.

Last edited:
Or do your zero right in the crosshairs and then dial 5 mills and you will have the entire length of the reticle to work with. That will be 10+ mills of holdover depending on your stadia.

Or this.