• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LongER range rifle.

chriso

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2008
California
My first distance rig was a .308 and still is the same .308. I love it and plan to burn the barrel out on it and re barrel to 260. I'm wanting to do a build for extended ranges. As it is right now I can get out to 1k with 175's or 155's though my rifle seems to like 175 SMK's more wich is odd since it's 1/12. Anyways I will be putting this rifle together slowly not in much of a rush but I want to build off of a remington action. I don't have all the money to drop on a full custom. Thing is with so many calibers out there I'm not even sure on what I want to build! I figure I would get the best information and input off of a site tailored around long range though.

Now I'm not sure on the capabilities of some of the new rounds out there but have always been a fan of 300WM. I'm thinking the 300WM would only be good at about 1400 yards if I'm pushing em real hot. Correct? Well if you guys have any suggestions on specific rounds and info on em I would appreciate it fellas. Thanks!

Re: LongER range rifle.

If you are going to build the rifle, you might as well chamber it for something which will give you maximum range. How about .338 Lapua?

I'm not opposed to a .338 LM as it seems like a awesome round. To bad I can't just use a remington action for that.

I was in the same boat as you, I decided to go with 7 WSM, and have one being built right now. There is tons of info on here as to what the 162 A-MAX and 180 Berger can do. It seemed to me to be the perfect "intermediate" round.

Havnt looked into 7mm at all actually. They do make some pretty high BC shit though.

If you want longer range than .308, you have a few options, you can take tigerhawks advice and feed your rifle with $5 bills, or you could build a 7mm something and get almost the same ballistics as a 338 Lapua for a fraction of the cost.

Look into the 7WSM or 7SAUM rounds. There are a few high BC bullets that can get you out to 1800+ yards if you reload. The 7mm will beat the crap out of any 30cal round you put it up against and will just about match 338 Lapua ballistics. You can load Berger 180's or if you really want to reach out and touch someone you can load JLK 180's and push it 2950-3050 fps out of a short action using a whole lot less powder than 338 Lapua or 300WM.

As far as the aciton goes, you will need to find a WSM donor action which might not be the easiest thing to do. But dont rule out custom actions, keep in mind that by the time you find a donor action, have it trued, buy a recoil lug and rail, you will be in the same price range as a custom action, which requires no truing.

Look at the Surgeon RSR actions, I have a 7WSM built on one and it is a solid action with superb accuracy.

Havnt even heard of 7mm SAUM. Damn I just sold a 700 SPS 300WSM haha. I do reload. I'm surprised I have not seen that many people or heard of for that matter running 7mm's looking at their pills they have some really high BC stuff. Everyone is caught up with the 6.5's right now around here. The thing thats appealing to me as I can build my new rig slowly wich is a bit more cost efficient for me, I mean I guess I could save a bit here and there.

Ahh, I was going to say if you were close to me you could come check my 7 out.

Haha what valley you know where stockton is correct? I do make it out of this crappy town often.

Haha thats bad! Well if I ever head out that way I'll drop you a line USMCj. Thanks for the offer. Is the 7MM SAUM a new cartridge or has it been out for awhile? Anyone have a picture of the round? Looking on google cant find to much.

i agree with what others have said. 7 is the way to go, I wouldn't even consider anything else based on what you want to do with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haha thats bad! Well if I ever head out that way I'll drop you a line USMCj. Thanks for the offer. Is the 7MM SAUM a new cartridge or has it been out for awhile? Anyone have a picture of the round? Looking on google cant find to much. </div></div>

Not a new round, but Renington is no longer supporting it so brass might be hard to find in the future. Go 7WSM, I dont see it going out anytime soon.

.284 Winchester on a long action. A little slower than the Mags, but very accurate and easy on barrels.

i wish i could post my 1800yd goat shot....w/a .300wm & 190's doing 3008fps......i could smell the cabrito.

my custom 284 on 700la will be done next week so excited. hopefully I can get teh 2900fps with 180vld and rl17 that so many guys have been getting lately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1800 yards with a 300wM !?!</div></div>

not only yes....but fuck yes.....i got the vid to prove it...

yeah. got a .300 WBY (hot loaded) that will do it. rounds are still supersonic at 1950yd. its all in the way the rounds are built and barrel is done

BOLTRIPPER what length smoke pole you got on that 300? That makes me want to reconsider 300WM... I have always liked 300 WM and it would be one less caliber to have to stock for since I already have a model 70 I hunt with in 300WM sometimes. Thing is... Is it the right tool for the job or does it just suffice? I would love to shoot up to 1600 yards. Maybe even further... Of course I will probably start it out at 1000 and go on up. Furthest I have shot with my .308 was 1067 yards. I do have a spot to shoot 1600+ yards and I do reload.

I have a 7WSM with a 24" barrel. I load it pretty lightly with only 62.2grs of RL22 pushing 180gr Berger VLDs to 2,770 fps. According to the ballistic calculator it is still stable out to 1,570 yards IIRC.

CPL Snafu may be able to give you more specific details if he still has it loaded in his calc.

Bear in mind many people run 28"+ barrels and 67+ grains of powder so there is a lot more distance to be had from this round.

Expected barrel life is somewhere north of 2,000 rounds depending on your loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BOLTRIPPER what length smoke pole you got on that 300? That makes me want to reconsider 300WM... I have always liked 300 WM and it would be one less caliber to have to stock for since I already have a model 70 I hunt with in 300WM sometimes. Thing is... Is it the right tool for the job or does it just suffice? I would love to shoot up to 1600 yards. Maybe even further... Of course I will probably start it out at 1000 and go on up. Furthest I have shot with my .308 was 1067 yards. I do have a spot to shoot 1600+ yards and I do reload.</div></div>

i think this one is around 28"

DSCN0848.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BOLTRIPPER what length smoke pole you got on that 300? That makes me want to reconsider 300WM... I have always liked 300 WM and it would be one less caliber to have to stock for since I already have a model 70 I hunt with in 300WM sometimes. Thing is... Is it the right tool for the job or does it just suffice? I would love to shoot up to 1600 yards. Maybe even further... Of course I will probably start it out at 1000 and go on up. Furthest I have shot with my .308 was 1067 yards. I do have a spot to shoot 1600+ yards and I do reload.</div></div>

i think this one is around 28"

Take your choice brand in 28" and have .880" cut off and you would be amazed what a 27.1200 barrel will do

DSCN0848.jpg
</div></div>