• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Longest Projectile Shot ???

Bushmaster7

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2002
CONUS
Does anyone know the record for the longest projectile shot? I am not talking about missles, ICBMs or any solid or liquid fuel type rockets, just projectiles launched from a barrel. I think it might be one of the WWI super guns (i.e. the so-called 'Paris Gun') that holds the record at 120 km when the Germans were bombing Paris; but not sure. regards, Dale.

Re: Longest Projectile Shot ???

From what I have been able to piece together, sounds like the Paris Gun of WWI had that beat hands down with an effective range of 130km. It actually reached an altitude of 40 kilometers (25 miles) into the stratosphere at a velocity of 1,600 meters/second. Apparently however it was not that effective in that its explosive charge was only 15% of the total weight of the shell itself.

I think the Big Bertha guns get confused with the Paris Gun in this respect, so we are probably talking about the same weapon. The actual Big Bertha (German 'Dicke Bertha') was a 420mm howitzer firing 820kg shells; but the range was far less than the Paris Gun from what I read. According to the firstworldwar.com encylopedia:

"With a range of 15km their 420mm shells proved devastating and all four were used during the German assault upon Verdun from February 1916.

Once the Verdun offensive was called off in failure (leading to the replacement of German Chief of Staff Erich von Falkenhayn who had initiated the battle) the Big Bertha guns were decommissioned, since Allied artillery developments had resulted in guns with a longer range."

Either way, WWI saw the height of development of projectle distance/mass in terms of artillery from what I can see, not WWII which is interesting. By the end of that war, V-2 rockets had a range of 320km and maximum altitude of 90km surpassing any artillery that had been developed. Having said that, new technology, like a rail gun or the like, could propel projectiles even farther and higher. There was talk of using something like this to put payloads into low earth orbit as a more economical way of doing so than booster rockets technology. G-forces and heat are the big issues there, see link below:

Gun Launches into Space

Yea, I just did some research and found that out. I guess they must have been talking about both, but Im trying to find that episode because I can swear I heard that number somewhere...
Doing some more research, if you want to get down to it, the farthest man made projectile is currently at about 10.5 billion miles from Earth and still traveling. It was shot from a large barrel (kind of) and has no fuel source other than momentum..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1

Yea, and when aliens find it we are in deep shit trouble according to Stephen Hawking (the famous British physicist) since they will trace it back to earth and kick our butts big time LOL.

Is he wanting to know the "longest projectile shot."
A: the biggest projectile "longest"
B:The furthest distance a projectile has been shot

You see how it could be interpreted either way.

Jimmy, I quoted longest shot in my initial post where I mention 120 km and subsequent posts where that and altitude is also mentioned, so from the context it is distance. My bad if that was'nt clear. regards, Dale.

redeyefry, looks like you win! The Yuma HARP Gun beats the Paris Gun by over 50km farther in terms of total distance, i.e. altitude in this case. Sounds like the Babylon Gun would have been able to overcome earth's gravity and launch a projectile into low earth orbit as well.

Atomic Annie
Ain't the size of the gun but what you do with it when you get there.
smile.gif

My tater gun can shoot about 40 yds. Gonna get a 20 MOA base then see what I can do. And get some hairspray with a slower burn rate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redeyefry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HARP Gun maybe? It was built to shoot satellites into space. It launched a projectile to an altitude of 180km in 1966.

http://www.astronautix.com/articles/abroject.htm </div></div>

That was an incredible project. Wasn't the chief genius behind the project assasinated by Mosad in the late 80's because he was working for the highest bidder at the time, which happened to be Iraq or Iran at the time?

If talking about projectiles that are supposed to hit somewhere/something, perhaps its german V-3 then?
Max range about 163km/100miles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-3

I think it was similar system that (canadian?) HARP guy was going to build for Iran.

Thats crazy i was about to say the same bout my tater gun ether will lite that bitch up it must have neen a hard tater cause it went threw 2 pieces of OSB board

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redeyefry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HARP Gun maybe? It was built to shoot satellites into space. It launched a projectile to an altitude of 180km in 1966.

http://www.astronautix.com/articles/abroject.htm </div></div>

That was an incredible project. Wasn't the chief genius behind the project assasinated by Mosad in the late 80's because he was working for the highest bidder at the time, which happened to be Iraq or Iran at the time? </div></div>

Something like that.

I used to shoot on the US side of the land chosen for the Canadian launch site. The property spanned the border and is in North Troy VT.

Not much left on the US side aside from some shells of buildings.

Kind of cool to walk around up there though.

I believe Robert Boll was the individual that designed the HARP Gun, and the proposed "Babylon Gun." He was shot and killed, presumably by the Mosad, but they never admitted to the hit.

I seem to recall that his last name was actually Bull, though I might be mistaken.

Dr. Gerald Vincent Bull.
Quite a few good articles popped up on google.
I remember seeing some videos of the HARP a few years back.
Might have been on YT, or History channel.

His concept and implementation of it was really quite revolutionary and out of the box thinking vs. ground launched rockets to get payloads into low earth orbit. Cheaper, faster, and as effective for at least smaller payloads that could stand the heat of friction and g-forces involved. I have always felt that German rocket technology (Ours and Russian rockets were German designs courtesy of Werner von Braun and other German rocket scientists) was actually a step back for the American space program and derailed our program. We were very close to getting into space with the "X" plane program culminating in the X-15. Launch from an aerial platform into space via a space plane vs. the ground based rockets seems to make more sense, and is returning now to prominence as well.

Victor Ostrovsky wrote about participating in the hit on Dr. Bull in his book, "By Way of Deception".

Does anybody have info on the results of the Baby Babylon tests?

It was said to have a potential range of 750 kilometers and was fired more than once. The max range for the V-3 was said to be 165 km, so even if the Baby Babylon didn't have all the kinks worked out it could have taken the cake.

A biography of Mr. Bull and his efforts may be found here at

http://www.redlandsfortnightly.org/papers/fawcett03.htm