• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Longshot Rifles, inc

6.5x47

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2011
Utah
Any one heard any recent news, if any, on Chris Matthews, owner of LongShot Rifles in Stover, MO? I know he recently moved there and I've not been able to reach him. He's built several rifles of mine and I want some more work done by him. He's awesome! Not returning any of my emails and his tele # says it's a non-working #.

6.5x47

Re: Longshot Rifles, inc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last I heard (rumor mill here) Chris folded up.

Dunno.

Good luck.

C. </div></div>

C.,

Now, that would suck! I've got about $900 in trade with him for some gunsmithing work. How recent is your info?

Thanks,

6.5x47

Sorry to hear that.
He does great work.

Hell! the price on the Beast i have listed in the rifle section that he put together just doubled.

Last I spoke with him (guess about 6 months ago), he was still working away in Urich, MO.

Look, I don't know if its true or not. I don't know Chris at all. Garrett went to school with him and had heard from mutual friends that he'd closed down.

I cannot confirm nor deny the claim. In fact, in retrospect I prolly should have kept out of this.

C.

Try this number (573)377-3032 I talked to him a few months ago and it took a few tries to get him on the phone. He moved recently.

Chris did finally respond to an email I sent last week.

6.5x47

Good luck, I ordered a 308 Rifle from him Sept 15th, 2009 while I was deployed to Afghanistan as a post deployment gift to myself. I have paid him 2545.00 in deposit money and as of now I still do not have it.

For the past year I have been getting run around after run around and after numerous attempts at contacting him to have him ship my parts to another builder to complete the build for me including having a third party get involved.

He finally agreed to send me my Red/Black McMillan stock 2 weeks ago via email Since this was the most important item to me so that my local builder here could complete my build and Chris would have time to complete the one he started so that he would not be out of any money (A win/win situation in my eyes). The tracking number was bogus and I sent him an email Monday to confirm the Tracking number and as of today, no reply.
I have even sent local Military recruiters to his shop and he refused to open the door for them. Monday I am going to start the process of pressing formal charges against him so if anybody here knows him give him a heads up that I have given him enough chances since September to make this right.

I know I am new here but have been a lurker here for several years and I have ALL email traffic to prove my point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck, I ordered a 308 Rifle from him Sept 15th, 2009 while I was deployed to Afghanistan as a post deployment gift to myself. I have paid him 2545.00 in deposit money and as of now I still do not have it.

For the past year I have been getting run around after run around and after numerous attempts at contacting him to have him ship my parts to another builder to complete the build for me including having a third party get involved.

He finally agreed to send me my Red/Black McMillan stock 2 weeks ago via email Since this was the most important item to me so that my local builder here could complete my build and Chris would have time to complete the one he started so that he would not be out of any money (A win/win situation in my eyes). The tracking number was bogus and I sent him an email Monday to confirm the Tracking number and as of today, no reply.
I have even sent local Military recruiters to his shop and he refused to open the door for them. Monday I am going to start the process of pressing formal charges against him so if anybody here knows him give him a heads up that I have given him enough chances since September to make this right.

I know I am new here but have been a lurker here for several years and I have ALL email traffic to prove my point. </div></div>

It really sucks when it comes to this. I had a 15 month ordeal with a different builder and due to my keeping all email correspondence between us; my credit card company refunded me my money.

If your deposit was made with credit and you have the emails to back it up, you might try that route.

I can get the second deposit back but not the first one. CC company sent me thru 3 different levels and they said since it was two years old they couldn't dispute it.

I tried to keep this private since October 2nd, He's had his chances.

longshot rifles, INC......................."it'll be a Longshot if you get your rifle"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just be sure were not confusing this with "LongRifles, Inc."

Were still here germs!

C. </div></div>

NOPE, talking about Longshot Rifles, LLC and Chris Matthews.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">longshot rifles, INC......................."it'll be a Longshot if you get your rifle" </div></div>
Do you have any more Info? I am going to pursue legal matters monday if anybody wants to join.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck, I ordered a 308 Rifle from him Sept 15th, 2009 while I was deployed to Afghanistan as a post deployment gift to myself. I have paid him 2545.00 in deposit money and as of now I still do not have it.

I know I am new here but have been a lurker here for several years and I have ALL email traffic to prove my point. </div></div>

It really sucks when it comes to this. I had a 15 month ordeal with a different builder and due to my keeping all email correspondence between us; my credit card company refunded me my money.

If your deposit was made with credit and you have the emails to back it up, you might try that route.
</div></div>

Just got done sending a 20+ attachment of page "print screen" of all my emails to my bank so hopefully I am good for the last deposit.

guys I know chris reasonably well and have had several rifles built by him and all have been fantastic.

I visited his shop and had some work done by him (3rd bbl installed on a gun he built last year) as recently as first of october and he had just moved into his new place in stover and was still unpacking. He shared some of the personal BS his family was struggling through. Kind of a bummer. Last email I got from him was a couple weeks ago.

He's a good guy. I hope you can settle without too much legal fuss, but I know how frustrating it is spending a lot of $ and getting nothing. good luck

Redx,
I feel some of your pain, I started a build with him (Chris Matthews) in January of 2010 and he told me it would take 4-6 months, I supplied a new mc-hunters edge and $1000.00 and the last I heard from them was on April 11th 2011 through email. His wife told me he had a few more and then I would be up. I just want my stock and money back so I can get this rifle done. I have never received such poor customer service, this so called build will have started 2 years ago in January.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nieko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redx,
I feel some of your pain, I started a build with him (Chris Matthews) in January of 2010 and he told me it would take 4-6 months, I supplied a new mc-hunters edge and $1000.00 and the last I heard from them was on April 11th 2011 through email. His wife told me he had a few more and then I would be up. I just want my stock and money back so I can get this rifle done. I have never received such poor customer service, this so called build will have started 2 years ago in January. </div></div>

I have had the "Few more and you are next" for the past year. 26 months so far

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taliv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">guys I know chris reasonably well and have had several rifles built by him and all have been fantastic.

I visited his shop and had some work done by him (3rd bbl installed on a gun he built last year) as recently as first of october and he had just moved into his new place in stover and was still unpacking. He shared some of the personal BS his family was struggling through. Kind of a bummer. Last email I got from him was a couple weeks ago.

He's a good guy. I hope you can settle without too much legal fuss, but I know how frustrating it is spending a lot of $ and getting nothing. good luck </div></div>

If you know him that well, how about telling him to give me my stuff. Or how much would it cost me to pay you to get it for me?

Had a similar situation with a smith in Washington state by the name of John Ricks (John Ricks Rifles).he did a handful of great builds for me.
Then one day i get call from him telling me that his having some personal problems and after that, i never heard from him again.I ended up getting stiffed out of a build ,lost a new Win 70 Express action. that was 6 years ago.

Good builder, but bad business decisions.
I guess that is a sign of the times.

redx, wish i could help, but i'm 9 hrs away and communicating via email like yourself. I was just trying to say I don't think you're the victim of malicious thievery or fraud, just unfortunate, difficult business decisions.

Guys, I have recieved numorous calls about the whereabouts of Chris Matthews, I have not spoken to Chris in 5 years. I hear all the same rumors everyone else does that he folded up??? I have no Idea, I dont have his # nor do I know where he is or is working. Sorry im not any help but nobody from the shop remained in contact with Chris.

As I said before, he's responded to my recent emails. I'm getting ready to send him my 2nd 6.5x47 he built for me last year so he can trim some weight off the action and barrel, rebed and refinish.

6.5x47

UPDATE:
Chris emailed me yesterday saying that my Stock was lost in the mail. After going to the PO to see if this was true or another one of his delay tactics, the Supervisor informed me that it was indeed stuck someplace at the Atlanta Hub and showed me a printout. He told me the only way that it would get stuck is if somebody addressed something wrong. Then I looked at the insured amount and saw that it was only insured for $200.00. I told him it should of been insured for at least $800 and he informed me that that's a tactic people use to say they shipped something but intentionally address it wrong so it gets mailed back to them and they can say " hey I sent it, here's the proof" We will see, and if it does indeed arrive, I will be the first to offer a public apology.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UPDATE:
Chris emailed me yesterday saying that my Stock was lost in the mail. After going to the PO to see if this was true or another one of his delay tactics, the Supervisor informed me that it was indeed stuck someplace at the Atlanta Hub and showed me a printout. He told me the only way that it would get stuck is if somebody addressed something wrong. Then I looked at the insured amount and saw that it was only insured for $200.00. I told him it should of been insured for at least $800 and he informed me that that's a tactic people use to say they shipped something but intentionally address it wrong so it gets mailed back to them and they can say " hey I sent it, here's the proof" We will see, and if it does indeed arrive, I will be the first to offer a public apology.

</div></div>
First of all, I'm sure the PostMaster did not say "the only way it would get stuck is if..."
Stuff happens every day in the postal world- we are all aware how things get lost and screwed up all the time, by no fault of our own... it's just the way it goes.
Second of all, the printout does NOT say it was insured for $200- it says it is insured for OVER $200. Do you remember learning about the greater than and less than signs???
Also, I am quite sure that the postal service doesn't go around telling people that other people use "tactics" for proof of delivery. That is absurd. I have personally been talking to employees of the USPS regarding this package, and they were the first to admit that stuff just gets hung up sometimes.
I would be happy to post on here the address that the package was addressed to... the same address we were given.
As you can see, the package was mailed, and insured for OVER $200.
Please stop slandering LongShot Rifles because of a package that the US Postal Service is having trouble locating.
And for the record, LongShot Rifles LLC is currently NOT out of business. The website clearly states that we have moved, and lists our new address and phone number.

USPSScreenShot.jpg

WoodsUSPS001-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UPDATE:
We will see, and if it does indeed arrive, I will be the first to offer a public apology. </div></div>

Where is the public apology? You received the stock.

No dog in this fight but package lost in mail is just one part of the post.
Read all of his post. Maybe the wrong person is offering an apology. Just sayin.
Thanks for your service redx glad you made it home safe.

Longshotchic,

You have a long way to go in regards to business ethics and dealing with the public. The stock was only one of several issues that were visited in this thread. You used it as an "out" to jump in and attempt to come out on top. However, when in the position of a business owner/manager, you never come across as condescending or sarcastic to the customer base (the entire public). If youll take a few minutes and read on here in some other threads you'll see how some folks/vendors on this board go about addressing the public (correctly) in order to set things straight and make the wrongs right again. You have failed on a epic level here. You would have been much better off ignoring the stock issue all together and addressing the real issues the company may be having and giving an apology for the lack of communication you are maintaining with your paying customers. So, in others words, when someone has sent you property or money, answer the damn phone and give a prompt reply to emails. If your unable to do this, due to whatever reasons, stop accepting deposits and property until you have your "shit" in order. Obviously this isn't just a isolated incident when other well known smiths from across the United States have been contacted in regards to your whereabouts. As a business owner, you must be humble and learn how deal with the public, even in times of hardship or duress.

Best of luck, you'll need it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Longshotchic,

You have a long way to go in regards to business ethics and dealing with the public. </div></div>

Id say so.

In Longshots defense, this isn't an easy business to run. Not that any business is, but people expect perfection from their smiths when their smiths deal with imperfections from every supplier and customer they deal with. It really isnt fair sometimes, but the good smiths/business's deal with it and make shit happen. Even if it means losing a buck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Longshotchic,

You have a long way to go in regards to business ethics and dealing with the public. </div></div>

Id say so.

In Longshots defense, this isn't an easy business to run. Not that any business is, but people expect perfection from their smiths when their smiths deal with imperfections from every supplier and customer they deal with. It really isnt fair sometimes, but the good smiths/business's deal with it and make shit happen. Even if it means losing a buck.

</div></div>

This isn't a question about the quality of the work. It's a lack of work being performed over the last 26 months. I can't think of a single or even multiple imperfections that would take that amount of time to resolve. If the builder agrees to the work that has been comissioned, the work needs to be performed. Smiths (and buisnesses in general)need to understand that, YOU HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THE CUSTOMERS YOU HAVE IN THE SHOP BEFORE YOU WORRY ABOUT GETTING NEW CUSTOMERS. If you treat your current customers fair and you don't lie to them about the timeline, they will tell their fiends and probably build more rifles with you.

If you know the build is going to take 5 months to complete, don't quote 5 weeks just to get the job in the door. I don't care how good you are or how good the finished product is, it will only lead to loss of buisness.

I have been waiting around for this topic to come up. Given the crowd on this site, it took longer than I thought it would.
I too ordered a rifle from Longshot and after much delay, I had a rifle in my hands. When I got said rifle, there were some items not completed as requested, but again, I at least had a rifle in hand.
I call the “LSR” rifle, my rifle from the school of hard knocks. The tuition was pretty high, but the lessons learned stick with you.
I’m still enrolled in the school of hard knocks, but will not be taking any more classes through “LSR”.

These kinds of threads can really hurt a business. Before I ever start a build I do my due diligence of research on the Hide to determine which builder I am going to work with. We are talking of big money to build a top notch rifle and it cannot be just left to anyone that may or may not care too much about you or you money. The discussions above is enough to cause me look elsewhere for a builder. I have over 7K out on rifle builds right now and I am glad that I didn't go to LSR - ouch.

LSR, if you are still building I hope you learn your lesson from these above people and make it right.

This may be off topic a bit, but guys give your local smiths a chance at your builds before you seek out-of-state smiths. A few years ago I had no clue how many local (within the state) smiths there were here avaialble to me. It took some time and searching, but I know now of 5 good ones right here in my state, that's alot considering I didn't know of any at one point.

My reason for saying this is, 2 fold. One, support your local smiths and help keep them in business. Two, if you do run into problems, it's local (within the state) and most likely within a reasonable driving distance as opposed to half way across the U.S. If you need to pay a visit over possible issues, it's feesable to do so.

It's true that building a rifle requires skill. The finished product is a work of art, or should be anyway. I've had a GAP rifle, one the most well known builders in the U.S. I also have some Beanland rifles, there is absolutely no differnce in the quality of work. I'm having a rifle built right now by a local "no name" smith. I've seen some of his work and I feel confident that it will be just as nice a rifle as Beanland or GAP produces. He's cheaper and he's local.

I'll put my Beanland's up against anyone's GAP in terms of finish and accuracy.

Anyway, the point is, seek out your local smiths and give them a chance. It may save you some headache and some money, while keeping a local guy in business.

I also had a bad experience with LSR a few years back -"Longshotchic" was just as charming back then as she is today

She has alot to learn about people skills & customer service!!

To the guys waiting for their builds from LSR, I'd recommend getting your build components & send them elsewhere. Not hatin' just sayin'......................

I received the stock on Friday, and I AM a man of my word so I am offering a public apology.Besides working the past two days and being sick to death, I haven't been able to post here so I do apologize for being late.

ETA: my apology is to Chris as far as saying that he did not mail my Stock, Now after reading his post, I am not apologizing for bringing this to light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongShotChic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UPDATE:

</div></div>
First of all, I'm sure the PostMaster did not say "the only way it would get stuck is if..."
Stuff happens every day in the postal world- we are all aware how things get lost and screwed up all the time, by no fault of our own... it's just the way it goes.
Second of all, the printout does NOT say it was insured for $200- it says it is insured for OVER $200. Do you remember learning about the greater than and less than signs???
Also, I am quite sure that the postal service doesn't go around telling people that other people use "tactics" for proof of delivery. That is absurd. I have personally been talking to employees of the USPS regarding this package, and they were the first to admit that stuff just gets hung up sometimes.
I would be happy to post on here the address that the package was addressed to... the same address we were given.
As you can see, the package was mailed, and insured for OVER $200.
Please stop slandering LongShot Rifles because of a package that the US Postal Service is having trouble locating.
And for the record, LongShot Rifles LLC is currently NOT out of business. The website clearly states that we have moved, and lists our new address and phone number.

USPSScreenShot.jpg

WoodsUSPS001-1.jpg

</div></div>

First of all Chris the Supervisor at the PO did state the above comments, and his reasoning was the code that is shown PSS-001-8001 SHOULD of been SPBS. Second of all since we are getting into the habit of posting receipts and such, Maybe I should post copies of My receipts and emails with you or maybe you might be man enough to offer me an apology here like I gave you. And third since we are in the educational basics class here, didn't you learn before you started a business a thing called customer SERVICE?

If I sent someone $2600 and havn't gotten anything back from them in 23 months and they gave me the run around. I would buy a $400 plane ticket and whip someone's smart ass.

It is funny how this company created an account on this site so that they could defend their name and all they have done is try and prove that they sent the stock back. Not once have they answered any other concerns that people on here have raised including the deposit paid up front by the OP for work that has not been performed in 23 months. Might be time to hire an attorney and sue for the monies paid, aggravation attorney fees.

Great post bbradford71 - Seems they're here to cover their ass instead of making it right with the customer!!

Like I said above - get your components/money and take your buisness elsewhere!!!

This is easy for me to do because I have Clark Custom for pistols and LA Precision Rifles for rifle work local, but I use local smiths for this reason, in addition to they're being superior smiths.

Learned the lesson of mailing and losing long time ago. Insurance does not work the way we think, by the way. In other words, read the insurance policy next time you insure a package. Brass tacks? What event or occurrence is insured? That postal worker ain't there to help you. She just waitn' fer the next break. And you are in the way.

Suggestion: insure your gun against loss and damage with your insurer who provides your home and auto coverage. Be exhaustively specific with your needs and expectations. Read the bloody policy. Then make the provider/agent convince you that you are getting the coverage you seek. Finally, carefully consider whether the only way to get what you want is to ship that gun or expensive part.

A homeowners policy generally excepts guns and jewelry, or limits the coverage to an insignificant sum; @$2500,00. As you can see that amounts to only one Nightforce optic.

Sound like I had a bad experience? I did! It sucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great post bbradford71 - Seems they're here to cover their ass instead of making it right with the customer!!

Like I said above - get your components/money and take your buisness elsewhere!!! </div></div>

My local builder(member here on the hide) and I have tried on numerous occasions to get LSR to mail my builder my parts without any luck, that's when we came up with the so called compromise with LSR. Seeing that Longshotchic is quick to ask for my apology but slow to offer his/her's (even though I believe it to be his) I will once again request the remainder of my parts to be mailed.

I wouldn't request them, I'd DEMAND them - they are YOUR parts!!!

If they don't want to send them, I'd call local Police Dept. for some help - again, they are YOUR parts!!

Explain to LongShot Rifles that you will pay for the shipping of the parts to your local gunsmith - they'll be out zero & have no reason not to send them. I'd send a certified letter explaining all of this!!!!!

LongShotChic really showed her true colors & lack of concern for their customers - just worried about covering their ass!! It was the very same when I dealt with them & had some big time problems.

Unfortunately there is probably not a lot your local police can do in this type of transaction, but you might try this:
Call the police department where the gunsmith runs his business and ask to speak to an officer. Explain what has occurred and that you are unable to contact the smith and you live too far to go there. Ask the officer if would swing by the business and find out about your stuff for you or see if he will ask the smith to call you.
Worth a try and I would do that for someone.

I'd rather order a red jacket 1,000 yard ak than have work done by these assclowns, jus sayin

I normally try to stay out of threads like this, but this one I'll make an exception for since LS-Chic chose to show her customer service skills off for us.

I'm sad to see all of the above posts, I've owned LSR rifles in the past and the one time I spoke to Chris he was very helpful.

My one piece of business advice for Chris would be to immediately fire LongShotChic. You have effectively killed all future business from any members here imho. A guy comes on to vent and ask questions about a rifle that is easily 1.5 years overdue to him and your big defense is about the shipping and insurance accusations and then you demand you apology because he finally did get stock.....The stock that should have been ON HIS FINISHED RIFLE A LONG TIME AGO!! One more piece of advice, don't ship anything Parcel Post, that crappy slow service is reserved for shit you don't care about but then maybe that's why you used it to ship his stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He'd be firing his wife then jasonk!!!!!</div></div>

I assumed that, but you've got to do what you've got to do if you plan on making a living.