• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Look what showed up today

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    This arrived this morning ...

625556_10151597213777953_199018583_n.jpg

Gotta get those drool gutters installed on my keyboard one of these days! ;)

Looking forward to more info and your impressions, LL!

I am also very interested in the scope, and your review of it!

Is the lay out of it the same as the 5-20x50? Side focus, 5 mil per rev.. ect .

Looking forward to the review. Doesn't have HD on the obj. so I'm assuming no HD glass? Interested in what the price is on this. Even without HD my SS 3-9 has been a great scope. This could be a sweet hunting scope.

Q&A from email sent to SWFA

1 Will it focus down to 25 yards? --- Will go down to 6meters
    2 Will it have the same MQ retical that I love so much. --- Yes
    3 Price point. I gota start saving now. --- $699.95

Ok great... you showed a little bit of skin, just take it all off baby!

Verrrry interesting.

I notice that the magnification knob, crinkle paint finish, and W/E adjustment knobs all look a lot like the style of $299 original SS and not as much like the $599 and up 3-9x and HD models. I've always understood/assumed they were made at different factories by different companies. Can you tell us if this one is, or in person looks like it is, made by whoever makes the $299 fixed power models?

So they made a 3-15 in the original swfa scope body? While I like it I wish they would have put it in the 3-9 scope body. However I'm assuming.

I knew building a shrine to the optics gods would pay off some day. . .

I'm betting on a $499 price point since it looks to have the same coating and knobs as the $299 fixed 10x. Would have loved a true little brother to the 5-20 HD but this thing is going to kill it if its priced right...

EDIT: Pricing post wasn't up yet when I made my guesses. Shows what I know. Still can't wait to check one out.

Last edited:
    "Looking forward to the review. Doesn't have HD on the obj. so I'm assuming no HD glass? Interested in what the price is on this. Even without HD my SS 3-9 has been a great scope. This could be a sweet hunting scope."

I was under the impression that the 3_9 used hd glass. I believe i asked swfa that very question and they confirmed it. Ill have to check my emails.

Edit: Here it is

RE: SS 3-9x42
    Skylar McMahon [[email protected]]
    Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 1:03 PM
    To:

David,
    It is, the 3-9 has the same glass as all of the HD models.
    Thank you,

Skylar McMahon
    SWFA, Inc
    400 Century Way Ste 100
    Red Oak, Texas 75154
    P (972)Scope-It [726-7348]
    F (972)617-1647
    www.swfa/com
    www.swfa-ss.com
    www.samplelist.com
    www.mil-dot.com

Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 12:42 PM
    To: SWFA
    Subject: SS 3-9x42

Is it true that the SS 3-9x42 has the HD optics?

David

Last edited:
    I have a rifle that has been waiting on this. Can't wait, love the two I have and have just been faithfully holding out.

I can't stand those set screw turrents, they always came lose on me even with locktite.

SWFA commented on their release on Facebook stating it was not HD glass as other people were asking about it.

If the glass is as good as the glass in the new SS 3-9 that I bought recently, it will be plenty good. My main concern is the weight for what I want to use it for, which is mountain hunting on a light rifle. I'm guessing with the 42 mm. objective, they've kept it 22 oz. or less. With the price and for daylight use, I don't care if the glass isn't on par with S&B, Premier or Kahles. It's also a comfort not having to worry (as much) about dropping an expensive scope. I'm betting whatever elk is unlucky enough to pass in front of it next fall won't care that it was shot with an $1800 rig instead of a $5000 one.

Note too SWFA's lesson learned: "Available for Purchase & Shipment April 25th"...that should head off the whiners at the pass.

Very nice move by swfa, IMO. I can think of a few rifles that would be a perfect home for that scope. I wonder if they just killed the Weaver 3-15 sales? To you guys doing reviews: I would LOVE to hear how the glass compares to their fixed power models. -A side-by-side with their fixed 10x or 12x would be awesome. Variables need a bunch more lenses than a fixed power scope, right? If they didn't lose any clarity over the fixed models, then I definitely want one! (or two...)...

-ScottyD

Last edited:
    As long as it is NOT a Mil-Quad reticle (a hash reticle would be awesome, or at least stick with mil-dot), I'll be picking one up.