• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lookin for a 7.62x39 Bolt Gun - Options (?)

GS455

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2013
Nashville
Okay, not a precision caliber BUT I’ve really been digging my PUSnipers and RPR in .308 this last year. Seems my semi autos rarely make it to the range anymore. I do have some x39 projects in the works but thinking about all the corrosive x39 I have squirreled away and I just never use it anymore b/c I don’t want to HAVE to clean up after all-day at the range + an hour in each direction. Corrosive through a bolt gun is only a few minutes to swab the bore/bolt/action after unpacking

I kick myself for not grabbing a CZ527 back in the day but alas I’m finally getting around to scratching this itch. Doesn’t seem like there’s much out there. So far I’ve found:

CZ527 : Do I start the search for a used one? Can mags be found ? Not nuts about a single stack 5rd mag so would probably want several backups (not cheap). I’ve read scoe fitment can be a bitch. And what’s with that rear site? Looks like these things are going for about a grand if you can find em.

CZ600 Trail: Not terribly interested in the stock config. Loose ? Tight? Perhaps a bit too tacti-cool for my tastes, although, I REALLY do like the idea of the adjustable two-stage trigger. Wonder if it could retro into the other models (prob not). Plus it declares as a 2MOA gun (?).

CZ600 Alpha: Price is better. Better accuracy. I’ll probably hate the plasticky stock. Don’t need irons for what I’ll be doing and the integrated rails seem nice. Still only 5rd single stack. Suppressor one day?

Ruger American Ranch: The stock alone is literally almost a deal breaker for me. What were they thinking? That thing is as hideous as Avacado colored appliances from the 70s. Aftermarket options (more money)? I really like that there are more mag options although Ruger mags are spendy. Website doesn’t specify single or dual stage trigger although is adjustable. Looks like a cheek riser will be a need.

Howa Oryx by MDT: Very interesting. Never heard of this company (I’m mainly a milsurp collector),although, this could sit nicely next to my RPR. Adjustable “everything” outta the box. Scope mounting options are not clear on their website. Is 20” too long for x39? I thought 16-18” was about it for max length. No info about spare mags and what they cost

Thoughts ? Ideas? Experiences?

Reactions: Bender and Eo12
The ruger American ranch can be made to use 762x39 ar mags by changing the mag well and the stock can be reinforced and opened up a little to freefloat the barrel. Or Indian creek designs has a chassis that uses ar mags. There are other available mods you can do to it also if you feel it’s needed. Overall, it’s a great shooting accurate rifle and cheap to shoot.

How do you know the CZ 600 Alpha has "Better Accuracy" ?

I had a Ruger , It was accurate enough to take Whitetail at 75-100 yds . It's a fine rig for that ,

The Howas are solid, their M1500 action is sort of like an overbuilt/upgraded Rem700, except it has more in common with custom actions that cost ~$1000 bucks (integral lug, tool-less bayonet firing pin assembly, M16-style extractor)... but I wouldn't pay extra for an Oryx chassis.

Brownells sells Howa barreled actions and you can drop one in a KRG Bravo and have a much better rig for relatively short money.

Last edited:
Another option is to keep is squirreled away for when it may become very valuable and get a 6.5 G or 6 ARC bolt gun. Scratch the same itch with better ballistics. I shoot my 6.5G bolt gun more than anything else these days. If I was dead set on a X39 bolt gun Id probably just get the Ruger American and be done with it. Plenty accurate to match the cartridge.

The Howas are solid, their M1500 action is sort of like an overbuilt/upgraded Rem700, except it has more in common with custom actions that cost ~$1000 bucks (integral lug, tool-less bayonet firing pin assembly, M16-style extractor)... but I wouldn't pay extra for an Oryx chassis.

Brownells sells Howa barreled actions and you can drop one in a KRG Bravo and have a much better rig for relatively short money.

This looks like a lot of fun for a steal of a price!

Reactions: MarinePMI
This looks like a lot of fun for a steal of a price!
30 carbine is mo betta
B1B4267A-5402-415E-AD9E-4FEF225A4BBC.jpeg

How do you know the CZ 600 Alpha has "Better Accuracy" ?

I had a Ruger , It was accurate enough to take Whitetail at 75-100 yds . It's a fine rig for that ,
They list 2moa for the Trail and 1moa on all others. Not sure why. Shorter (lesser) barrel? Tacticool stock?

I ordered the Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 when it was on sale for $799 last week at Cabela's. Will update on first impressions once its arrived.

Now I'd like to find some mini thirty mags in the meantime. The Ranch has a modular magwell so I also have the option to order the AR style magwell and find 7.62x39 AR mags that are legal to use in rifles too.

Let me know if anyone has thoughts on the qualities of AR style magazines vs the mini 30 style. Haven't used either.

Reactions: Eo12
I ordered the Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 when it was on sale for $799 last week at Cabela's. Will update on first impressions once its arrived.

Now I'd like to find some mini thirty mags in the meantime. The Ranch has a modular magwell so I also have the option to order the AR style magwell and find 7.62x39 AR mags that are legal to use in rifles too.

Let me know if anyone has thoughts on the qualities of AR style magazines vs the mini 30 style. Haven't used either.
7.62x39 duramags work great with the rar

Reactions: Grubber
If you handload, 6.5 Grendel in a bolt gun is awesome. Hopefully Palmetto State Armory's forthcoming 123gr 6.5G ammo will be less than $1/rd - that would really open up access to factory ammo again.

My Howa Mini action in 6.5G with custom "Howage" barrel in Boyd's Agility stock:

howaboydstock.png

What aftermarket stocks are available for the Ruger American 7.62x39?

that’s a BIG NO on that🙄ATTENTION: Not compatible with 7.62x39 caliber due to steel mag liner.

🙄🙄

• Haha
Reactions: Haney
I've made this post on several of my favorite forums. Tons of great feedback and info (thanks all). I'm leaning towards a Howa or a Ruger I think (very little commentary on the new CZs). Both probably going into a match type or chosen stock whether wood, laminate or poly. Howa has a broad variety of stock options but, as noted, can also just purchase a barreled action (for less $) and toss it in a stock of my choosing.

I do have a lead on a used 527 but when I have some time in town I'm going to see if any of the major gun retailers carry any of these new models. I'd love to feel the actions and triggers. Surprisingly kind of strange for me because with a closet and safe full of 20th century Milsurps I've rarely ever bought brand new firearms at retail. Not over a counter anyway.

On sale for $799?!?!? WTF? 😳

You know those are like $500 regular everyday price and in stock at Buds Guns Shop, right? I’d be demanding a $300 refund for them price-gouging…

Reactions: FuhQ

Howa barreled action= 459

KRG Bravo chassis = 399
Oryx MTD Chassis = 430

Bundled Howa in Oryx MTD = 836 (@ Buds)

Kinda even money. Anything spectacularly better about the KRG chassis than the one that comes on the Howa? Again, not really my field of expertise. I'm more of a milsurp collector.

These come in 7.62x39

1692178495768.png

Howa barreled action= 459

KRG Bravo chassis = 399
Oryx MTD Chassis = 430

Bundled Howa in Oryx MTD = 836 (@ Buds)

Kinda even money. Anything spectacularly better about the KRG chassis than the one that comes on the Howa? Again, not really my field of expertise. I'm more of a milsurp collector.

A fully kitted-out Bravo can hang with any chassis out there, while an Oryx is and always will be "entry level". The Oryx... is what it is, not many options besides how it comes, so it's ok and will always be ok... while with a Bravo you can kit it out to do just about anything you want.

KRG sells spigots, weights, you name it for the Bravo (you can even find accessories in the PX occasionally), depending on what you want to do with it, you can add nothing... or turn it into a 20lb+ PRS rig with every option...

A fully kitted-out Bravo can hang with any chassis out there, while an Oryx is and always will be "entry level". The Oryx... is what it is, not many options besides how it comes, so it's ok and will always be ok... while with a Bravo you can kit it out to do just about anything you want.

KRG sells spigots, weights, you name it for the Bravo (you can even find accessories in the PX occasionally), depending on what you want to do with it, you can add nothing... or turn it into a 20lb+ PRS rig with every option...
As mentioned the only other "precision" set up up I own/operate is an RPR in .308. All I did was change out the buttstock and trigger. Otherwise it's a blaster/tack driver and REALLY impresses me against all the more "sloppy" milsurps and DMRs I shoot. Admittedly I may be making a turn in my hobby here but as far as a 762x39 gun goes I'm not sure I'd be investing in all the accessories and kit to make it a 20 lb accuracy machine. I'm partial to two stage triggers which the Howa seems to provide well with its HACT. In this case a clean and light stock appeals to me as opposed to the ultra detailed skeleton designs some offer.

Maybe one of my primary concerns moving forward is with accessibility of affordable decent magazines. I can live with five round but I would prefer to get several 10 round backup mags. From what I can gather the Bravo uses very expensive mags. Doesn't look like the Oryx does very well in that department either.

The ruger American ranch can be made to use 762x39 ar mags by changing the mag well and the stock can be reinforced and opened up a little to freefloat the barrel. Or Indian creek designs has a chassis that uses ar mags. There are other available mods you can do to it also if you feel it’s needed. Overall, it’s a great shooting accurate rifle and cheap to shoot.
with the way 762 ammo is going i wouldnt say its that cheap to shoot anymore lol

Reactions: GS455
Maybe beat to death but I hope others may stumble upon all this for learning and their own decisions.

I've pretty much moved on from the idea of a CZ527 or 600 (new or old) .

I understand I can start out with a HOWA barreled action ($400) and go from there. The RAR comes in lower than a HOWA in the Oryx chassis but the stock will have to go, so that ups the price base price of a barreled action. Yep, the RAR’s got more “affordable” and broad mag options and that’s VERY compelling. Good lord it looks like the only option, now, for a 10rd mag for the HOWA is $120 from MTD. That’s not just absurd that’s like a F_CK you to the market. For a bolt gun I don’t need the requisite 10 mag stock pile but I do want 3-4 and that’s just insane.

Yes the RAR comes with a two stage but I’m also reading the HOWA’s 2stage HACT trigger is crazy exceptional. Being a Milsurp guy I just prefer two stage trigs. I like the idea HOWA’s 20” barrel but may not matter much for 762x39.

I just wish I could handle, feel, cycle each side by side. I hear the HOWA’s action is like butter whereas the RAR is quite rough, like “dragging the bolt through gravel” as I recall reading somewhere.

Decisions, decisions.

Why’d you move on from the CZ?
Virtually zero feedback on the newer 600 series and I'm no longer interested in the 527 which is disco'd and growing expensive in the used retail market. Questionable support for parts, service and accessories. I'm mainly collector of older 20th century battle rifles. This is a different market/perspective. I have no fad-appeal of what's hot a year ago vs what's contemporary today. My interest here is purely modern/utility. The set trigger is nice (so I hear/read) but I am partial to 2stage triggers.

Maybe beat to death but I hope others may stumble upon all this for learning and their own decisions.

I've pretty much moved on from the idea of a CZ527 or 600 (new or old) .

I understand I can start out with a HOWA barreled action ($400) and go from there. The RAR comes in lower than a HOWA in the Oryx chassis but the stock will have to go, so that ups the price base price of a barreled action. Yep, the RAR’s got more “affordable” and broad mag options and that’s VERY compelling. Good lord it looks like the only option, now, for a 10rd mag for the HOWA is $120 from MTD. That’s not just absurd that’s like a F_CK you to the market. For a bolt gun I don’t need the requisite 10 mag stock pile but I do want 3-4 and that’s just insane.

Yes the RAR comes with a two stage but I’m also reading the HOWA’s 2stage HACT trigger is crazy exceptional. Being a Milsurp guy I just prefer two stage trigs. I like the idea HOWA’s 20” barrel but may not matter much for 762x39.

I just wish I could handle, feel, cycle each side by side. I hear the HOWA’s action is like butter whereas the RAR is quite rough, like “dragging the bolt through gravel” as I recall reading somewhere.

Decisions, decisions.
The ruger bolt isn’t that terrible, though it could use a good polishing to smooth out the “zipper” sound from the machining marks. The bolt handle upgrade makes it feel even nicer.

Bravo isn’t inlet for the 1500 Mini action, according to their website.

Yes the RAR comes with a two stage but I’m also reading the HOWA’s 2stage HACT trigger is crazy exceptional.
Exceptional it is not. It’s fine for a factory trigger, nothing more. People saying it’s amazing clearly haven’t felt good triggers.

Bravo isn’t inlet for the 1500 Mini action, according to their website.

Dang, I didn't know that, that stinks. It seems like a lot of guys like the mini-action Howa's, IDK why they didn't design it with the same footprint as the SA M1500..? How weirdly unpragmatic of them...

Reactions: stanley_white
While running errands yesterday I ran into a LGS that had the RAR in 6.5 creedmoor. Probably not entirely Apples to Apples here but I found the stock to be very dense and felt good but, good lord, colors just hideous. Either way I'll be going with having a chassis style setup anyway. The bolt action actually seems pretty smooth and decent. Maybe a little loose when retracted all the way but nothing to complain about. I'm not terribly impressed with the trigger pull. Maybe it was set on the highest weight from the factory. Clean Precision break but, again, a bit on the heavy side at 2nd stage.

I think it's going to be the Howa in the Oryx set up. I can find it for just under $800 with free shipping. No 10rd mags tho (for under $120) which is a bummer.
Another forum turned me on to the mod that'll let it take CZ mags. I guess the only benefit there is that they're slim steel and not polymer. Worth $120? Not so sure.

https://jeffersonoutdoor.com/howa-mini-cz-bottom-metal/

They list 2moa for the Trail and 1moa on all others. Not sure why. Shorter (lesser) barrel? Tacticool stock?
Their own explanation was that they didn't expect the average shooter to be able to shoot such a small and light gun better, so it was a more realistic goal.
Barrel is the same quality.

I am not calling you a liar by any stretch and maybe that's what was said but for the life of me I can't imagine why any manufacturer of precision made things with lower the spec of the actual item because they think the operators couldn't meet that performance

I am not calling you a liar by any stretch and maybe that's what was said but for the life of me I can't imagine why any manufacturer of precision made things with lower the spec of the actual item because they think the operators couldn't meet that performance
Because when people can’t shoot small with shitty 7.62x39 the phone doesn’t ring. Not sure where you got the idea that 7.62.39 was anything close to precision.

Reactions: FuhQ
Because when people can’t shoot small with shitty 7.62x39 the phone doesn’t ring. Not sure where you got the idea that 7.62.39 was anything close to precision.
1) The first sentence on my originating post accedes I am not discussing a precision caliber.

2) I said "precision made things" i.e. machined things such as barreled actions. In this case CZ, on their own website, notes the tactical version as 2 MOA accuracy whereas the fixed stock version is 1 MOA. And then I questioned whether tacticool stock setup is why. If the barreled action is the same on each then they should both be capable of the same accuracy.

My wife would lovingly refer to that as baby poop brown. LOL

I thought I read somewhere that the RAR could be ordered with a 19+ inch barrel. I know that may only mean another hundred FPS but I'd kind of like the longer Barrel look and feel in a Precision style chassis. In the end I think the Ruger may the way to go. Included rail, threaded barrel, Timney trigger option down the road (meh) and magazine options. Finding them well under $500.

I thought I read somewhere that the RAR could be ordered with a 19+ inch barrel.
Ranch models are all 16”
The predator models come in 20-22 depending on chambering but 7.62x39 isn’t one of the chamberings for predator models.

While running errands yesterday I ran into a LGS that had the RAR in 6.5 creedmoor. Probably not entirely Apples to Apples here but I found the stock to be very dense and felt good but, good lord, colors just hideous. Either way I'll be going with having a chassis style setup anyway. The bolt action actually seems pretty smooth and decent. Maybe a little loose when retracted all the way but nothing to complain about. I'm not terribly impressed with the trigger pull. Maybe it was set on the highest weight from the factory. Clean Precision break but, again, a bit on the heavy side at 2nd stage.

I think it's going to be the Howa in the Oryx set up. I can find it for just under $800 with free shipping. No 10rd mags tho (for under $120) which is a bummer.
Another forum turned me on to the mod that'll let it take CZ mags. I guess the only benefit there is that they're slim steel and not polymer. Worth $120? Not so sure.

https://jeffersonoutdoor.com/howa-mini-cz-bottom-metal/
Get one of these and you will thank me later... I put one in my 16" RAR .300 BLK and it is impressive how much of an improvement it makes. I've got mine set right about 1.25 lbs.

Also, I went with the Magpul Hunter chassis on mine, and it made a world of difference how the rifle handled and feels MUCH more solid now.

tempImagekrKN5p.png

Reactions: Winny
My wife would lovingly refer to that as baby poop brown. LOL

I thought I read somewhere that the RAR could be ordered with a 19+ inch barrel. I know that may only mean another hundred FPS but I'd kind of like the longer Barrel look and feel in a Precision style chassis. In the end I think the Ruger may the way to go. Included rail, threaded barrel, Timney trigger option down the road (meh) and magazine options. Finding them well under $500.
I think you are confusing the RAR and the RAP... The Ruger American Ranch is a 16.5" barreled rifle that ONLY comes with an FDE color stock. The Ruger American Predator has barrels longer than 16.5" and some have black, green, or FDE stocks on them depending on the model.

What about mag options? I don't really want Mini 30 mags cuz of the bolt stop feature. And good grief, $100 for a 10-round magazine? I think I read you can get a bottom plate under the action that would allow AR 762x39 mags.

I has a Ruger American a while ago and I really liked it. I threw it on a MDT LSS chassis and it shot great. I wasn’t reloading back then so I was just using factory ammo so I never found its true potential.

Get one of these and you will thank me later... I put one in my 16" RAR .300 BLK and it is impressive how much of an improvement it makes. I've got mine set right about 1.25 lbs.

Also, I went with the Magpul Hunter chassis on mine, and it made a world of difference how the rifle handled and feels MUCH more solid now.

View attachment 8213896
Those do not work with the 7.62x39 model.
Straight from Magpul:
7.62x39 chambered rifles are equipped with a factory stock using Mini Thirty® magazines and are not compatible.

Mine will do 1.25” at 100 with steel cased Wolf HP. That’s about as precision with this gun you can get with factory stock and trigger which is way better than any of my SKS’ or AK’s and I have a repro-Tabuk that will do 1.5” with the 4x PSOP scope. (Highlighted yellow final group after bore sight and sight in with the Zeiss 2-7 x 32 scope.)
1693162337579.jpeg

Reactions: GS455
Those do not work with the 7.62x39 model.
Straight from Magpul:
7.62x39 chambered rifles are equipped with a factory stock using Mini Thirty® magazines and are not compatible.
I thought I saw somewhere that someone makes a bottom metal adapter for the 7.62x39 models... But I could be wrong.

Example, the stock on mine is for a standard short-action, not an AR magazine version. But Magpul makes .223 AICS mags, which is what I use.