• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking at a New 700 // Newbie

Defa90

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2022
VA

Good Morning, and in case I don't see you... good afternoon, good evening, and good night...​

Newbie to the Precision World... Always wanted to Join... I don't know what the etiquette is on this Forum.. so forgive me If I miss any lines.. Promise to do better.

I'm in the market for a Precision Bolt Action.. and going through a few threads.. I've narrowed it down to a starting rifle... Remington 700. Of course, I'm can be persuaded :D

Goal is to be able to hit a target at 500-750 yards... Good looking gun, with eventually a suppressor. I'm purely a hobbyist. No plans on hunting. I like my lamb shanks already grilled when I order them.

Saw this one on gunbroker...

Remington 700 Magpul Rifle 308 - Win 22" Hb Blk Mtte Magpul Stk

I like the fact that it holds 5 rounds... has a threaded barrel when I eventually get a stamp... love the black.

Thinking total $2000-$2500 Rifle with Suppressor and Scope... but that would be done in phases...$$$

Would any of you experts have better suggestions? or any input for this Newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ji

Attachments

• ZAGR84293.jpg
    ZAGR84293.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 57
I second the fellow that posted above about the Tikka CTR. But if your dead set on getting a Remington get it. You will hear an assortment of opinions.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
100.00 will put a custom muzzle treatment including threading. It’s not an issue. Buy a gun that fits you and looks good. Learn to shoot it and you will be hitting your goal in no time. For a short range gun , 308 is a lot of gun. Have fun.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
Thanks MK....

I don't have any knowledge of Tikka... Remington's Name has been out there for years.. hence picking that... I'll do some research..

Meanwhile... I located another thread here... https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/entry-build-options.7137574/page-2

Looks like I've changed 308 to 6.5creedmore after reading some comments...

Something like this?:

Tikka T3 T3x, Tikka Jrtxc382 T3x Ctr 6.5crd 20"​

So if this is the route.. then 20" vs 24" ? Any suggestions on length?

Reactions: MK20
Thanks Holy Cow/SporterII.

Def true... start somewhere and have fun... but getting some advice from those that have already done this is always a blessing.

Reactions: SporterII
i am FAR from being an expert in any sense, but i know i've been looking at the bergara b14 HMR that stock out of the box is really good at the $1000 price point that it seems you're hoping to stick to for now. and has that 700 REM compatibility you mentioned. worth looking at it has made a bit of a splash for what a good rifle it is at that price point.

It's just Starline 6.5 Creed so nothing exotic. I have about 200 cases with 8-9 firings and another 200 with 11-12.

24" tikka ctr

throw it in a KRG Bravo down the road

snag a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 in MRAD

remington anything aside from what comes out of TacOps is a waste in this day and age

Remington, where quality control, sucks badly !!!! Old ones are okay.. I have had several VSSF's over the years that were tack drivers, not the case today as @b6graham has stated.

Check with the board sponsors, @LibertyOptics or Cameraland to name a couple, and you should be able to get a great deal on Scope and Rings, other sponsors may carry the rifle you are looking for.

Reactions: b6graham
Unfortunately my opinion may be construed as rather partial to Remington 700 actions and to qualify that I would say not current actions but rather from the last century or millennium. My actions from the 1980's - 90's, among other things different from todays' actions, in that they have the bolts that are engine turned and not just spray painted in a shadow pattern to make you think they are engine turned.

For the price you have mentioned you might be able to build what you want instead of having to go 'Off the Shelf'.

Check around for any (sound) SA Rem 700 action in one of the following calibers:

.22-250
.250-3000
.257 Roberts
.7mm-08
.300 Savage

They all should subscribe to a rim diameter of around .473" and a base diameter of around .4709".

In that same rim/base range is:

.25-06
.7X57
.8mm-06

But the last 5 most likely would be considered a LA.

If you are looking to shoot at 500-750 yds. you can do that with a .243, 7mm-08, and or .308. Metallic Silhouette is out to 500 meters and those three cartridges have been used with some degree of success at that game. A 'Palma Course' is 800, 900 and 1,000 yds. and the .308 is competitive at least out to 800 yds. if I remember correctly.

Your might have to buy an older hunting rifle from someone and you really only need the action. There are several good barrel makers in Wisconsin that can supply you with a barrel and the stock would be what ever you think looks good or is functional. Sometime the last two don't always go together though.

Once you get the parts in you hands it is time to hand all that over to a good smith and watch the magic of all that stuff being transformed into you dream rifle.

Last edited:
Buy the Tikka. Go to the px (for sale) section here and take a look at what’s for sale. Many times you’ll find a decent setup and save some $$

I’d go 6.5 cm over 308 for your uses

I’ve owned and still own many options from savage, Remington, Tikka, Bergara, customs like GA and Stiller actions and a couple Accuracy International rifles.

The Tikka is a refined setup. Very smooth bolt and very accurate. Mine is the T3X in 300 for hunting.

Savage is what they are but mine have stomped the 700 factory rifles in terms of accuracy. Reliability can be a toss up between the two

If you want a 700 go bergara. I have the 700 AACSD in 308 which is very similar to your Magpul model above.

- The trigger sucked at about 7 lbs. I’ve since tuned it to 3lbs

- Accuracy is about 3/4 moa. 1 moa on average though

- The steel on the action/barrel loves to rust. Reminds me of the newer 870 shotguns.

Remington’s name has been around for two + centuries but this is not the same Remington. Don’t know if it will be better or worse than the dying days of the old Remington, but I suggest, you look at other’s before you buy. There are several Precision rifles as well as a few good crossover rifles that will keep you in your budget and get you a rifle that can meet your needs.

I hate to be down on Remington, I have owned many and still own quite a few Remington Bolt Action firearms, but they are all decades old. For a mass builder they are beautiful firearms, but the last one I purchased, was the worst piece of junk I have ever owned. Hard to find anything right about it.

Now a new company owns the Gun business. I know nothing of their quality. Have not seen one. That said, Ruger, Tika, Bergara, Howa, Savage and other’s all make rifles that can meet your needs and price point. Until this new company has a proven track record, follow my Grandfather’s advice. “Never buy anything the first year of production.“.

Thanks MK....

I don't have any knowledge of Tikka... Remington's Name has been out there for years.. hence picking that... I'll do some research..

Meanwhile... I located another thread here... https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/entry-build-options.7137574/page-2

Looks like I've changed 308 to 6.5creedmore after reading some comments...

Something like this?:

Tikka T3 T3x, Tikka Jrtxc382 T3x Ctr 6.5crd 20"​

So if this is the route.. then 20" vs 24" ? Any suggestions on length?
As just for fun hobbyist, the move to 6.5 CM from .308 is a good one IMO as the recoil will be less and the bullets will have a higher ballistic coefficient and will generally fly faster, flatter, and further. Nothing wrong with a Rem 700 in .308. I have one..a Gen 2 5R SS (donch'a love these names...sheesh), 20" barrel, in the HS Precision stock it came in. I bought it for an eastern white tail gun and it suits me as I'm older and really only have a few opportunities to hunt each year...that is, at 70 I'm just not a dedicated hunter who needs to spend $$ on a high end hunting rifle and out to 200/250 yds my 700 is GTG.

But I also have two 6.5 CM custom bench/prone target guns with 26" barrels because...well, I really enjoy shooting them..small groups close or very accurate at range (haven't been past 1,000 yards due to lack of ranges nearby). 6.5 is just far more enjoyable to shoot than .308, IMO. Particularly a .308 in the 11/12 lbs range with scope

The Tikka T3X is a very good choice, in my limited opinion, and you can always drop it into a chassis of your choice later if you find that you really enjoy shooting bench/prone and want more ergonomic adjustments.

I would def suggest 24". You're not trying to limit length for hunting (walking, being in a stand/blind...that sort of thing) and you will harvest more of the available muzzle velocity with the longer barrel and hence a flatter shooting gun.

There are far more expert opinions on this board that I, but this is my take.

Last edited:
The Magpul rem 700 was made when the quality was less then average. ( I worked for Remington when they released them).

Stick with the Tikka......

Reactions: TurdFerguson
If $2500 is your cap, get a T3x Varmint, have it threaded and spend the rest on a scope. Save the muffler for later. Takes a year anyways. Spend on glass. I'm not talking S&B but something Burris XTR3 level. Great glass makes everything better.
Stay 6.5 creed because it sounds like you don't reload.
Remington only make sense if you already own one.

You should stick with your original thought of getting a Remington.
Even if you find something workable at your local pawn shop, estate sale or LGS...
All you are really interested in is the action (Long / Short) and the bolt face (Standard / Magnum).
Chances are a find like this will not be the caliber you are looking for. Get a Remage barrel to your liking and screw it on. Threaded end, of course.
Research the triggers and get one that fits your application.
Used stocks are readily available. I say used because the first one you get may not be what you want and you can just rotate it out.
Get scope mounts that work for "YOU"..
Add a cheek riser that will be a universal fit should you go to another stock.
Don't be timid about grinding, drilling, painting, mounting a bipod or anything else.
My opinion is to "Make it yours".... Comfort and knowledge of the intricacies will make you a better shooter.
If you go with a new Tikka you will be trying to force your self to the weapon. No different than buying a pair of boots like your buddy and they hurt your feet...... Or, driving your wife's car and not being able to adjust the sear, mirrors or radio.....

• Haha
Reactions: b6graham
You should stick with your original thought of getting a Remington.
Even if you find something workable at your local pawn shop, estate sale or LGS...
All you are really interested in is the action (Long / Short) and the bolt face (Standard / Magnum).
Chances are a find like this will not be the caliber you are looking for. Get a Remage barrel to your liking and screw it on. Threaded end, of course.
Research the triggers and get one that fits your application.
Used stocks are readily available. I say used because the first one you get may not be what you want and you can just rotate it out.
Get scope mounts that work for "YOU"..
Add a cheek riser that will be a universal fit should you go to another stock.
Don't be timid about grinding, drilling, painting, mounting a bipod or anything else.
My opinion is to "Make it yours".... Comfort and knowledge of the intricacies will make you a better shooter.
If you go with a new Tikka you will be trying to force your self to the weapon. No different than buying a pair of boots like your buddy and they hurt your feet...... Or, driving your wife's car and not being able to adjust the sear, mirrors or radio.....

Yes, you can polish a turd.

I appreciate all your inputs/thoughts. As a newbie to precision shooting, it is priceless.

Thank you. Keep sending them :)

I don't hate Remington, but at that price 1100, you could do better. Those magpul hunter stocks are what 250+75 for the floor plate? As others said, its a late Remington Rifle, and frankly I hate that stock. You can get a KRG Bravo for a tad more and have a great stock. I think they were over priced when Remington made them new at 1039 especially when you look at their other offering at the time. Hell, a 700 in a BC stock is twice the rifle. Find a good 700P or varmint and you'll have a better gun or skip it and go Tikka or up your price and get a seekins. YMMV

Reactions: moosemeat
@Defa90 you've gotten a lot of solid advice already. Tikkas are great rifles for the money. For $1100 you can get a great Tikka or Bergara, both of which would be superior to the Remington. For a few hundred more you could get a Bergara Premiere. I've owned one previously and I think it's an amazing rifle for the money - it has a top-grade trigger, fluted stainless bolt, 26" barrel - great rifle.

But then, if you're going to spend that much, you could also consider spending just a little more - well, more than a little - and get one of the lower-priced barreled actions, a trigger of choice, and one of the lower-priced chassis. You'd have a rifle that you'd never outgrow.

I was in the OP’s shoes back in 2016-2017. I wanted to get gooder at shooting longer ranges and shoot a little PRS. I tried for a little bit with my old .25-06 hunting rifle, upgraded the scope to a Vortex PST Gen 1 scope, did OK-ish but too many variables for it to be a consistent performer out to 500-600 yds (wood stock, not bedded, thin barrel profile, stock trigger, plus the .25-06 may be a great caliber for antelope and deer, but not ideal for gun games where you shoot 80-100 rnds in a match).

This was around the time Ruger released their Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR) so I got one in 6.5 CM. Ruger was one of the early manufacturers to offer a factory PRS-style rifle, but since then quite a few manufacturers are offering factory “precision” rifles, so quite a few more options are available now that were 5 years ago. I moved the Vortex scope over to the RPR and casually shot it for the last 4-5 years, attending a match here and there and started to figure out what I needed to learn. This year I decided to get serious about shooting PRS, which led me to realize the Ruger in stock configuration was not ideal -or I would need to dump quite a bit of money to get it to where I needed it (heaver contour barrel, new handguard w/ m-lok to bolt weights to it, new trigger, and a butt stock that fit me better, scope with better features, etc.).

Based in large part to what I learned in the last 4-5 years from shooting the Ruger and from reading this forum, this summer I put together my first “real” PRS rifle with features that I felt were lacking in the Ruger and what I learned were needed for the long range game, namely:
1. An action patterned off the Remington 700 footprint that is compatible with a wide range of aftermarket accessories such as stocks/chassis, triggers, and a reputable manufacturer that also offers prefit barrels which eliminates the need for a gunsmith to thread the barrel for the action and ream it for your specific caliber. I could have gone Bergara, Tikka, or Howa but felt like I would have been needing to upgrade many of the components within the first 3-6 month, so why not start from a bare action.
2. Pair the action with a heavy contour barrel so the rifle balances on its own when shooting off barricades, 26-27” in length, and want the barrel threaded for a compensator (or suppressor, but comps work better to reduce recoil). I was shooting for 18-22 lbs total weight including optic.
3. A chassis that accepts weights for balancing the rifle and recoil reduction, and also adjustable for length of pull and cheek height. Also one that is comfortable (the Ruger is a good shooter, but the butt stock didn’t really fit me very well). Also wanted it to have an Arca rail along the full length of the hand guard for the bipod and a gamer plate.
4. Good adjustable trigger
5. Caliber: I went round and round on this one. On one hand the 6.5CM is a decent round, some of the top dogs were going back to the heavier 6.5 over some of the 6mm variants, I was already set up to reload 6.5CM, it is very versatile caliber for gun games as well as hunting, factory ammo is available if I was traveling, longer barrel life… but in the end I opted to go with 6mm GT for lighter recoil and slightly cheaper reloading components even though barrel life is shorter than the 6.5CM.

I recognize a ‘custom’ rifle with those features may be beyond the OP’s budget, but it is probably a look into his future based on what I went thru, i.e. started with a factory “precision” rifle then eventually grew into a custom build.

It’s kind of like when I got into ARs, I first thought about buying a factory rifle, but after researching what I wanted I realized I would end up swapping out many of the components for something else, ergo I was better off buying a stripped lower and starting from scratch. Plus learning how to assemble an AR from parts was fun in of itself.