• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking at a new safe

TurdFerguson

thinking sucks
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
Burgerworld
Looking at a Liberty Revere 30 gun safe. Its only model I can find with a dial lock. I currently have around 20 rifles+10 pistols. I know the number of rifles is suggestive however, would this safe be large enough?

Looking at a Liberty Revere 30 gun safe. Its only model I can find with a dial lock. I currently have around 20 rifles+10 pistols. I know the number of rifles is suggestive however, would this safe be large enough?
Always figure a safe that's rated for about twice as many guns as you actually want to put into it... Like was mentioned, unless it's a bunch of shotguns and non-scoped rifles, then you're going to run into fitment issues.

F6040 is a big heavy safe

ExteriorVolumes (cu ft)Gun Capacity by Interior setup
ModelWHDWeightExtInt23456S6E6C
F602627.56025270023129211212182421
F602829.560313700311816321616323232
F603233.560253200291615271224242424
F604041.56029.253900422524481428403236
F723233.572254200341915271224242424
F724041.57229.254800503024481428403236
F724849.57229.255400603732642848484848

The dealer can put a dial lock on any model Liberty safe for no charge. At least my dealer dose.

The time is NOW for a gun room.
IMG_9906.gif

Lets talk about that for a minute. It hasn't been clear to me but I assume at this point that the safe in question was equipped with a mechanical lock with a combination that was set before the safe left the factory. ??? The FBI produced a warrant and they (Liberty) provided the combination.

With electronic locks the safe usually comes with a combo code like 123456 and then the end user resets this to their preferred code. This is usually done using the current existing code or by accessing a reset button on the inside of the door. Is there any other "master" code that would be unknown to the end user?

Lets talk about that for a minute. It hasn't been clear to me but I assume at this point that the safe in question was equipped with a mechanical lock with a combination that was set before the safe left the factory. ??? The FBI produced a warrant and they (Liberty) provided the combination.

With electronic locks the safe usually comes with a combo code like 123456 and then the end user resets this to their preferred code. This is usually done using the current existing code or by accessing a reset button on the inside of the door. Is there any other "master" code that would be unknown to the end user?
Probably a master reset code. Something they can give LE with a warrant or the user should you forget your code. Just guessing

After posting the above I ran into this article to prove that I was entirely wrong on all points.

Each lock has a uniquely programmed Management Reset Code (I believe programmed at the factory) which is literally printed on the back of each lock itself (see attached image), just like the default password when you buy a router. This code is not universal across ANY device and is truly unique to the lock. Also like your router, this default password can be changed by the user, but this capability is not documented in the instructions provided by Liberty, likely on purpose so they can keep the keys. They also warn you that changing this code (ostensibly through a locksmith) will void your warranty unless the new code is provided to them.

The MRC functions like a factory reset which you can do from outside the safe. It is not an unlock combination, per se, but since the factory reset restores the default combination, it’s not far off, and absolutely does grant a person access to the safe.

Users need to learn how to reset the default password.

After posting the above I ran into this article to prove that I was entirely wrong on all points.

Each lock has a uniquely programmed Management Reset Code (I believe programmed at the factory) which is literally printed on the back of each lock itself (see attached image), just like the default password when you buy a router. This code is not universal across ANY device and is truly unique to the lock. Also like your router, this default password can be changed by the user, but this capability is not documented in the instructions provided by Liberty, likely on purpose so they can keep the keys. They also warn you that changing this code (ostensibly through a locksmith) will void your warranty unless the new code is provided to them.

The MRC functions like a factory reset which you can do from outside the safe. It is not an unlock combination, per se, but since the factory reset restores the default combination, it’s not far off, and absolutely does grant a person access to the safe.

Users need to learn how to reset the default password.

This is for electronic locks. Dials use a change key and you can buy one off eBay for cheap. Change your combo and you ate gtg. No backdoor master code.

Reactions: AllenOne1
I ordered one with a dial lock we’ll see if I actually get it. I would like a gun room but that'll be after I get a house. Transfers suck lol

If anyone wants to hate on liberty safe I'm fine with that. But to me it really seems silly to think that not having a master access code to a residential security box is going to keep LE with a warrent out.

Keep in mind that they do not care if they wreck your shit searching it.

Surprised no one has stated the requisite "buy a used 25 ton bank vault, everything else is junk" whenever a safe thread is posted ;)

Reactions: diverdon
In typical hide fashion 😁

“I need a gun safe to hold two shotguns and a pistol”

The hide

“Here’s a link to a vault they removed from Bank of America” “Weighs 64,000 lbs and doubles as a garage”

I need this in my life.

A security container is useless when I have a pile of grinders and an oxyacetylene torch right there in the garage.

Only secure thing is to have a safe big enough for all my fab tools and boxes so they have to bring their own!

Nothing is safe from a determined thief or the kings men if they have enough time all you can do is slow them down , I friend of mine put a sticker on his safe that said there was black powder stored in his safe. Don't know if that would prevent the kings men from using a torch or not , but it would probably make them suit up with some extra PPE .

Nothing is safe from a determined thief or the kings men if they have enough time all you can do is slow them down , I friend of mine put a sticker on his safe that said there was black powder stored in his safe. Don't know if that would prevent the kings men from using a torch or not , but it would probably make them suit up with some extra PPE .
Probably get him pinched by the ATF for improper storage of black powder, and creating an ersatz explosive device…

I need this in my life.

A security container is useless when I have a pile of grinders and an oxyacetylene torch right there in the garage.

Only secure thing is to have a safe big enough for all my fab tools and boxes so they have to bring their own!
I make sure all my metal cutting devices are locked up - simply to make it less convenient for some 16-yr old “opportunist” that may happen to break in some day. I’m under no illusions that my cheap storage container will keep any pros out.

I second buying used. Great deals can be had and if you want to change the configuration it’s easier then you think

I bought a Champion Safe some 25 years ago or so. At the time, the local to me gun safe retailer dropped Liberty due to quality issues and went with Champion. I have no idea what today's relative ranking is of Liberty vice Champion.

I purchased the Challenger (it was a lot less then) with mechanical dial. I'm still happy with it...just wish I bought a bigger one at the time (yeah, the most common refrain about gun safes! haha).

No safe will ever be big enough to store all your finest, but they can get too big to handle easily.
Get one like you mentioned...............then another....................then another......................well, you get my drift ;) :D
gun safe 2a.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Nik H
some of y'all boys are talking about RSCs. some of y'all boys are talking about safes. Safes are the way

ive got two TL-30s and an incognito storage solution (ISS, trademark applied for) 😂 .

no RSCs around here

Sure, but when you own nothing of sentimental value an RSC and an insurance policy can be ‘just as gud’

If you’re looking at real safes, factor in the cost to pay a professional every time you need to move it. I’ve seen it get real sketchy real quick trying to DIY move even 20 gun RSCs.

As a typical Hyde member who likes nice (esp Made in USA) things and is always willing to go several steps beyond what is necessary, I have been eyeing high end TRTL30X6 and such safes for five or 10 years now.

But unless you know damn well you are going to be living where you are currently living for a very long time, and there is a place you can put it that doesn’t require taking it up/downstairs, what seems like a good idea today is going to seem like a nightmare if you ever move. It is not uncommon for people to simply leave them behind.

So this is one decision I have remained steadfastly rational about, and resisted the urge to get a safe just because it's badass. I have two cheap safes a small $300 one I got about 20 years ago at Walmart and a medium $500 one I got at Sportsmans warehouse (both far superior quality and steel thickness than what you currently find in those stores.) They serve to keep the children out and deter/stymie casual burglars. They are in a spare room that has an independent partition on the alarm system, so it can remain alarmed 24/7. The alarm has a very good monitoring center, and a very loud external siren, and it is all wireless with battery back up, so cannot be easily defeated. The house even has battery back up. So the alarm and the Internet work, even when there is a power outage.

But the real high level of security is that I pay something like $500 a year for a firearm specific collectibles policy. It covers all forms of loss except those that happen when you are using the gun like if you have a kaboom (which is why I don’t shoot reloads in my machine guns). I’m not sure what would happen if you were hunting and dropped one off a cliff, but that would be a one off thing and I would take it as a loss.

At $500 a year I could pay for one of those high-end safes in about 20 years I have calculated.

But I would still want that insurance policy. Because of stuff like fire, flooding, loss due to my own negligence (eg, leaving something in the car, or in the garage after a day of shooting), loss during shipping or commercial air travel…

The insurance really is the almost fool proof method of protecting your firearms valuables. I have used these guys for about 10 years now. Prior to that I was using the NRA, but the premiums were much higher, and the coverage not nearly as good. Plus, the NRA has become a bunch of embezzling, corrupt dip shits so they don’t see any more of my money.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
As a typical Hyde member who likes nice things and is always willing to go several steps beyond what is necessary, I have been eyeing high end TRTL30X6 and such safes for five or 10 years now.

But unless you know damn well you are going to be living where you are currently living for a very long time, and there is a place you can put it that doesn’t require taking it up/downstairs, what seems like a good idea today is going to seem like a nightmare if you ever move. It is not uncommon for people to simply leave them behind.

So this is one decision I have remained steadfastly rational about. I have two cheap safes a small $300 one I got about 20 years ago at Walmart and a medium $500 one I got at Sportsmans warehouse (both far superior quality and steel thickness than what you currently find in those stores.) They serve to keep the children out and deter/stymie casual burglars. They are in a spare room that has an independent partition on the alarm system, so it can remain alarmed 24/7. The alarm has a very good monitoring center, and a very loud external siren, and it is all wireless with battery back up, so cannot be easily defeated. The house even has battery back up. So the alarm and the Internet work, even when there is a power outage.

But the real high level of security is that I pay something like $500 a year for a firearm specific collectibles policy. It covers all forms of loss except those that happen when you are using the gun like if you have a kaboom (which is why I don’t shoot reloads in my machine guns). I’m not sure what would happen if you were hunting and dropped one off a cliff, but that would be a one off thing and I would take it as a loss.

At $500 a year I could pay for one of those high-end safes in about 20 years I have calculated.

But I would still want that insurance policy. Because of stuff like fire, flooding, loss due to my own negligence (eg, leaving something in the car, or in the garage after a day of shooting), loss during shipping or commercial air travel…

The insurance really is the almost fool proof method of protecting your firearms valuables. I have used these guys for about 10 years now. Prior to that I was using the NRA, but the premiums were much higher, and the coverage not nearly as good. Plus, the NRA has become a bunch of embezzling, corrupt dip shits so they don’t see any more of my money.

Some of us have a weakness for new shiny things.... and a high-end safe would cut into the purchases of more new shiny things.

I think I like the insurance idea better.

Reactions: secondofangle2