• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looking at AR uppers for distance-18 or 20"-info?

Bullseyelr

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 28, 2009
VA
I am looking into getting another AR but one for a little distance..(100-600 yards). I dont want to break the bank on the rifle but dont want to go cheap either. I was thinking of a DPMS mini-SASS. I like the 18" heavy barrel and the PRS stock. I had a DPMS 308 SASS and loved it. I also thought of going with the DPMS A3 flattop upper with SS 20" bull barrel and getting a different lower with the PRS stock and trigger later. Would the A3 20" SS upper be a good choice? It is chambered in .223 and is a 1/9 twist. I am shooting 55 gr. ammo. The mini-SASS is chambered in 5.56 and is 18" heavy barrel with a 1/8 twist. I am looking for the best accuracy I can get and I have a 1/9 twist heavy barrel on my other AR and get great accuracy with the 55 gr. ammo. What are your thoughts? I would really like to purchase a complete upper/barrel assembly and get a lower and stock sepeatly.....unless I can find the complete package....or complete mini-SASS. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Re: looking at AR uppers for distance-18 or 20"-info?

Lots of uppers available in a wide price range. I would get a 1/8 or faster if you want to get to 600 yards. That way you can load anything that will fit in the magazine. I went with a RRA 20" Bull upper and have been very pleased. Be sure to add a quality trigger as well.

+1 for Noveske look at his SS barrels, you will be hard pressed to find better.

The upper I have pictured is a little heavy, but for target shooting and killing yotes and nutria..... you can't beat it.

24", 1/8 twist Sabre defense barrel
AAC blackout flash hider 51 tooth QD
VlTor VIS-3 upper/hand guard
Fail Zero B/BC group
GG&G flip up front sight
Matech 600 Meter BUIS
American Defense 30mm FRWD scope mount
Shooter's edge 6-18x50 varmint scope

qn5web.jpg

Below are recommendations that should get you where you need to be without a premium barrel price tag. I have a WOA service rifle upper, and built a SPR with a 18in Noveske. For the price it would be hard to beat WOA. WOA also has midlength and rifle length gas systems as options in the 18in barrels. Plus a SAM-R configured rifle barrel, but that is more expensive.

If you only shoot from the mag, a 1-8 is perfect. Bullets from 50-77gr will work great.

I have no experience with the BCM ss barrels other than the many positive reviews I have come across. I have bought from them previously and they are gtg. If you are looking for uppers, peruse BCMs extensive build configurations. Their prices on complete uppers are hard to beat.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-18-SPR-SS410-Barrel-with-Rifle-Length-Gas-p/bcm-recbrl%2018ss.htm

or

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-20-SA...r%20brl%201.htm

or

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/barrels.htm

here is another vote for Noveske. However, based on what you are discussing, I think this one is a better choice than the 18" SPR: http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imc...ce=&status=

It is 8twist, which will shoot the 55 w/ a little less spin drift and will easily shoot any of the heavier bullets up to 75gr AMax (the 80gr Amax isn't an option). It has VIS which is rock solid (once you have tried a VIS its tough to go back to a 2 part upper). It has the medium barrel profile, which fits your bull-barrel interest a bit better; the medium profile outshoots their SPR profile in terms of precision. Plus its actually lower profile than the 18" because it doesn't have a flash suppressor (which you don't need unless you are planning to deploy to Afghanistan). I had both Noveske 18" SPR and this 20" and I sold the 18" - the 20" was perhaps 1/4moa tighter.

Finally, if you want to maximize the AR-15 in .223, you need to shoot the heavier 75 or 77gr HPBTs.

1/8 will allow shooting the 80s if single loaded, may not intrest the OP, but can be done to maximize 600yd performance.

While I like my Noveske barrel as well, the OP seems to be following a budget (like us all). If you are going to spend $5-600 on a barrel also consider Kreiger and Satern.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here is another vote for Noveske. However, based on what you are discussing, I think this one is a better choice than the 18" SPR: http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imc...ce=&status=

It is 8twist, which will shoot the 55 w/ a little less spin drift and will easily shoot any of the heavier bullets up to 75gr AMax (the 80gr Amax isn't an option). It has VIS which is rock solid <span style="color: #FF0000">(once you have tried a VIS its tough to go back to a 2 part upper)</span>. It has the medium barrel profile, which fits your bull-barrel interest a bit better; the medium profile outshoots their SPR profile in terms of precision. Plus its actually lower profile than the 18" because it doesn't have a flash suppressor (which you don't need unless you are planning to deploy to Afghanistan). I had both Noveske 18" SPR and this 20" and I sold the 18" - the 20" was perhaps 1/4moa tighter.

Finally, if you want to maximize the AR-15 in .223, you need to shoot the heavier 75 or 77gr HPBTs.

</div></div>

Those are words of truth and the VIS to me is well worth the money.

On the flip side of things, I haven't had any problems shooting the 80gr amax out of the upper that is pictured a few posts above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjwill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the flip side of things, I haven't had any problems shooting the 80gr amax out of the upper that is pictured a few posts above. </div></div>

I had one load of 80gr AMax that I developed for a different upper that was 7twist. Maybe I didn't do enough work on seating depth in the 8twist and that was what gave me problems at 100yds - my 75gr AMax was going into 1 hole while the 80grainers were tough to hold 1 1/2".

Doesn't sound like OP is worried about the 75 v 80gr Amax however if he is shooting 55grainers
grin.gif

A well made LR precision AR-15 is an absolute joy to shoot at 600+ if the wind isn't blowing too badly. Just a ton of fun to ring steel that far out with the speed of a gassed semi-auto!

The Best ^^"

Credit card sbobet can make a new life with a compulsive gambler, as much as <span style="font-weight: bold">sbobet</span> will tear his life, sure enough.

Agreed.. if you are going to shoot to 600yds with 55gr bullets you better learn to read the wind real well or hope it's calm. Get ya some 69-77gr's with a 1:8 twist and make life easier on yourself. They will still fit in your mags.

As far as barrel length.. it will only matter for velocity. 18" should be plenty and give a good combo of velocity, portability and balance.

Just my .02

Bang for the buck on a complete upper... Well y'all can throw stones at my glass house but I have yet to see an upper under 600 bucks shipped that can keep up with the RRA Predator Persuit. 20" Varmint Profile stainless Wilson barrel, all chrome bcg cleans up with ease, and makes dime sized jagged holes at 100 yards with 77g SMK's if I do my part. I shoot 600-700 yards with ease and even made consistent hits at 850 but wind is your enemy out there. I too have read the horror stories about RRA but I have nearly 1000 rounds thru my upper with zero issues.

i use an 18" with ops 12th mod sup. all depends on what you want to do with it, my combo is good for 800m with 77g smk's...course now thats human size targets too.
smile.gif

Run a 7 twist Preadator Custom Shop AR, and with 24g varget and 77smks,I was hammering the man silhouette at 750 yesterday, including a couple called head shots. So easy a Cave Man can do it.

Ive got a 16" Bravo company upper with a 1:7 twist shooting nickel sized holes at 100yds shooting 62grain fusions. Bravo company is hard to beat for the quality you get for your money

Anyone have any thoughts on the DPMS 20" SS bull barreled flattop complete uppers..(Midway had them on sale last month). They are advertised as 1:9 twist and .223. Any thoughts?

Look into Scottmilk9 (Specialized Dynamics) reputation here and in the predator hunting community.

When I see the owner of GA Precision pick one of his uppers up off a prize table filled with goodies it tells you a little somthing something about how they shoot
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look into Scottmilk9 (Specialized Dynamics) reputation here and in the predator hunting community.

When I see the owner of GA Precision pick one of his uppers up off a prize table filled with goodies it tells you a little somthing something about how they shoot
wink.gif
</div></div>

www.specializeddynamics.com

I've got an 18" SPR Upper from Scott and it's a laser!

I've got a 20" .264 LBC and it also follows suit...