• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking at IOR Valdada 3.5x18x50 moa/moa any input

Scott H

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2010
Western, Oklahoma
Im a nightforce owner and wanting to try a IOR 3.5x18 moa/moa. My reasoning is the fast focus eyepiece and supposably better glass. I have had a few Nightforce scopes and the last one I got wasnt very good optically. Anyone have any experience with the IOR scopes?

Re: Looking at IOR Valdada 3.5x18x50 moa/moa any input

I have a 3.5-18 x 50 mil/mil (same basic scope & mechanics as the MOA model)... I also have a NF.

The IOR has brighter & clearer glass than NF IMO although the IOR coating does lend a very slight yellowish tint to the image. I feel the slight yellow tint increases contrast, image details really stand out.

A fast focus eyepiece is not something that should play into your purchase... setting the diopter is a "set it once" thing (unless your vision changes) and a fast focus eyepiece is too easy to bump or accidentally rotate unless you have a flip cap over it. I prefer standard adjustable eyepieces for the locking ring, no chance of accidentally knocking your reticle focus out of adjustment as can happen with an uncovered fast focus eyepiece.

The oversize knobs on the IOR are easy to adjust and read quickly and feel very solid. The zero stop works well. The secondary impact/zero indicators work well although I think they clutter the knobs up more than they help. I've never had any tracking issues. The illumination works very well. Eye relief is good and the mag ring is easy to adjust because of the short cat-tail machined onto it. The parallax knob is somewhat coarse being only about 1/4 turn so you have to sneak up on your parallax setting.

The fit & finish of the IORs can be hit and miss-- sometimes the anodizing can look slightly splotchy. NF has a nicer and more consistent uniform finish on their aluminum bits. The finish on the IOR isn't bad at all but it's not as nice as a NF.

I have the FFP mil/mil model and think the reticle needs to be a little thinner... 0.05 mil would be just about right. I'm not sure what the reticle thickness is on the MOA reticle.

It's a big & heavy SOB so keep that in mind.

All in all the 3.5-18 is a very good scope; I've been very happy using mine.

A friend of mine just picked one up & really likes it. The crosshairs are a little heavy for me - think IOR needs to have them just a little finer. Other than that - good scope.

I'd be curious to check out a MOA/MOA IOR. A guy here in Vegas had one and I was impressed with how clear the glass was.

Weight and fit/finish are the main issues with the newer IOR scopes. I haven't heard of many problems with the newer models. If it's what you want give it a try (buy from Libertyoptics).

Yes if getting any IOR get it from Liberty Optics...I know I was glad I did each time. I am own two IORs and one is the Mil version you ask about...I love it.

Thanks for the props, guys. Scott H, these are really outstanding scopes that track perfectly and are the best IOR has made, IMHO. We would love to help.

Thanks,

Scott