• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking at new hunting scope

HoosierHunter128

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2021
Indiana
I am new to this forum, but not new to forums, and when I have been researching rifles and scopes, this site kept coming up with good advise so I decided to join. I am buying a new rifle and scope primarily for the purpose of deer hunting in the midwest. I have decided on a 6.5 creedmoor and my rifles came down to three: a tikka superlite, bergara wilderness ridge, or Christiansen Arms Mesa. I've decided on the Mesa. I want something that is accurate, lightweight, and preferably with a brake. This also is going to be my all weather rifle, so I want something that will take the rain and snow. I like the fact that the mesa is stainless AND cerakoted. I like the components of that rifle, and can't see spending twice as much on a Fierce Fury, however, if you think that there is a better choice in a rifle that I am missing, please let me know. As for the scope, I want something that is great in low light conditions. Something in the low magnification no higher than 4x and preferably with a higher magnification of 15x or higher. I prefer it to be illuminated. I have made a spreadsheet of what I am considering which should help. I can get an Athlon Midas HMR 2.5-15x50 for $460, and it checks all of the boxes, and I can get much better glass in a Swarovski Z5i 3.5-18x44 - BT-PLEX-I for $1670 which is 4x the price. I also love the ballistic turret on the Swarovski. I've considered not getting illuminated, and saving some money just for the Swarovski glass and Ballistic Turret. I hunt 50% deep woods, and 50% large corn and bean fields, and would like to be able to get another 10 min out of a good scope, and be able to reach out to 400-600 yards in low light. Please let me know what you would choose and why. Money really isn't the issue, but what value something provides is. If I can be just as accurate and happy with a CA Mesa, why pay twice for a Fierce. If I can be happy with a Midas, why pay 4x for Swaro? Maybe I won't be happy. Please weigh in on what you would buy and why. Rifle and scope. I appreciate your help....

1615479680065.jpeg

Last edited:
I just spoke to Doug at Camera Land. What a great guy. So easy to talk to, informative, and clearly knows his stuff. You've got to love a family owned business with pride in ownership as well. I will be buying all of my optics through him moving forward. He even gave me a discount. Now I just have to decide what to buy...

i'd read the horror story threads before going with CA over tikka but that's just me

i'd look at razor hd LHT or NF nx8 or bushness lrhs

doug is good people

Reactions: HoosierHunter128
Doug is one of the best, I've worked with him on a number of deals for a number of years now, he treats Hider's right! The Bergara rifle's offer a lot of value for the money, if you're looking to save weight check this out:

If you're looking for something more configurable check this out:

For scopes, you're looking for SFP and I left SFP scopes in favor of FFP for hunting and all my shooting needs a long time ago so I'll let others steer you in the right direction there, but if money is no object, you might check out the Schmidt Exos

Outside of that, you mention low light and then you list several 44mm scopes, I'd recommend at least 50mm and if you feel you'll spend a lot of time in low light situations you might even consider 56mm objectives.

I'd probably go Bergara over the Mesa, but it'd be close. I like the floating bolt head. I like the coned breech for feeding. I think the sliding (front of lug) extractor is safer than M16 style and Sako (Tikka) style. I have had issues with Tikka magazines, so while I like Tikkas (and have one), I wouldn't want it for a high-end hunting rifle unless I was using aftermarket bottom metal/magazine.

I'd buy the scope from Doug. I'd buy the Leupold. The Nightforce would be a close second. I'd buy these because of toughness. I have a Leupold on a .458 Lott that broke the testing fixture at Trinidad when I was test firing after re-barreling. It hasn't broken. They're also lighter than some of the other scopes. I'd use a Vortex Razor for competition, but like the Leupold for hunting.

Well, I just went through this in the past few weeks. For the rifle, I went with a Fierce Carbon Fury in 6.5CM. I'm a fan of Sako actions, I like very accurate rifles (for more than a round or two), still wanted something light weight, and I stumbled upon a lightly used one in a Cabela's Gun Room for a great price. I have nothing negative to say about your choices, but this is why I chose what I chose.

Then I tortured my self on scopes. I'm a pretty diehard S&B fan for my precision rifles, but also have Kahles and NF. But for a 6.5 CM hunting rifle I wanted to keep it light. This really narrowed it to Leupold (VX5/VX6) and Swaro (Z5 series) for quality glass in still-light package. I like mag and big objectives, but these and light weight don't all 3 go together. Pick two. I also wanted to keep the height over bore as low as possible (I test fit some scopes and mounts on hand, and took some measurements). I was down to the Swaro 2-12x50 and the 3-18x44. Honestly, it sounds stupid, but I don't like that gold ring on Leupolds, and I hate the noticeable change in eye relief they have when changing magnification. I had to decide between whether I would more appreciate more mag for PID purposes (and maybe little tiny groups at camp) vs slightly better light gathering. A 7mm exit pupil limits the 3-18 to about 6X, while the 2-12 gets to 7X. I figured that wasn't a big enough advantage for the hunting I'm likely to do in TX. To minimize losing the reticle in shadows, I went for the Z5i. I don't love capped knobs, but that was the lighter option and I compensated for it with the ballistic reticle (BRH). I'm comfortable with holdovers.

I too just bought mine from Camera Land. I suppose I was too spent by the process to remember to call lol. I just went online and paid full price. The shipping was very fast and I'm happy.

I went to cabelas today and looked through the Swaro z3, and z5. Then the Zeiss v4 and then leupold vx5hd. Through my eyes, the Swaro scopes were much more clear and crisp. Next would be Zeiss and then Leupold. I couldn’t tell any difference in the glass on the z3 vs z5 swaros. I’ll be buying one of the swaros most likely. I wish I could have been able to look through an Athlon Midas HMR to compare. I know it wouldn’t compare, but I just wonder how much worse it is...

To me, the Zeiss v4 and Leupold vx5hd weren’t even close to the swaros. If I could get a z3 that had the 3.5-18x, there’s no question that’s what I would get

I bought a CA Ridgeline last year. Put a vortex razor lht - the smaller obj on it. Love that combo. Lightweight rifle w awesome glass.
I looked at a CA ridgeline, Bergara, Hell’s Canyon, Sako, and Tikka today at cabelas, and am happy with my choice of the CA Mesa. I don’t see the advantages to me of the ridgeline carbon barrel, vs the Mesa for $600. I love that action. It was very light compared to the others, and at 6.5 CM with a brake I should feel little to no recoil. That’s part of the reason I just sold my 30/06 weatherby. It was too heavy and the recoil was more than I wanted. Plus I have a 10 year old that I’d like to be able to shoot this as well, and there’s no way he could shoot that 30/06. Sounds like you have a nice setup, and I love the look of that ridgeline, just don’t see the $600 difference from the Mesa

Reactions: CCook1988
For me, I'm going with the Vortex HD LHT. One of my considerations was weight, and the 50mm version comes in at 20.5 ounces. This scope checks a lot of boxes that should make for a nice glass setup for hunting.

I looked at a CA ridgeline, Bergara, Hell’s Canyon, Sako, and Tikka today at cabelas, and am happy with my choice of the CA Mesa. I don’t see the advantages to me of the ridgeline carbon barrel, vs the Mesa for $600. I love that action. It was very light compared to the others, and at 6.5 CM with a brake I should feel little to no recoil. That’s part of the reason I just sold my 30/06 weatherby. It was too heavy and the recoil was more than I wanted. Plus I have a 10 year old that I’d like to be able to shoot this as well, and there’s no way he could shoot that 30/06. Sounds like you have a nice setup, and I love the look of that ridgeline, just don’t see the $600 difference from the Mesa
Muzzle brakes are like magic in a way, aren't they? They're loud and sometimes they don't fit on an older wood and blued rifle, but they make shooting heavy cartridges and light rifles so much nicer.

Has anyone ever used MK Machining? I'm looking at the Athlon, but refuse to have bad flip caps. I would literally buy a different scope if I can't get good caps. These guys will make you flip caps for whatever scope you want for $75, that look really similar to Aadland. Just wondering if anyone has used them.

The tikka with a mark 5 3x18
Only thing that would make it better is if it had a break. But 6.5 doesn't have that much recoil any way. I shoot a ruger 6.5 without brake still see impacts

Yeah, Tyler at MK Machining is a good dude... He used to be on here quite a bit, haven't seen him around in awhile though.

I know Seekins Havak isn't on your list of rifles, but for a great lightweight hunting rifle, they're hard to beat.

Yeah, Tyler at MK Machining is a good dude... He used to be on here quite a bit, haven't seen him around in awhile though.
I called Aadland, after searching for a number for an hour and left a message, then called Tenebraex, and left a message. I sent an email to both on their site. Tenebraex replied to my email and gave me a pdf of all the info they need to see if they may have something that will fit. Aadland has had zero response. MK Machining answered the phone, talked to me, and told me they can do whatever I need. If they have to make one for me, they will. For $75. I'm impressed.

https://www.mkmachining.com

Not sure how I found them, but sure glad I did, maybe.... has anyone used them? I realize a mid priced scope in the Athlon Midas may not require the caps and cover I want, but I think the preservation and care is as important as the scope itself.

I'm not a competition shooter, or a weekend warrior plinker, but to me, my shots are more important, because they make clean kills, and I don't have to track as far...I'm certainly not in the shape I used to be in

The tikka with a mark 5 3x18
Only thing that would make it better is if it had a break. But 6.5 doesn't have that much recoil any way. I shoot a ruger 6.5 without brake still see impacts
I started shooting shotguns....Indiana wasn't a rifle state for hunting. I was able to hold 2" groups out of a field barrel with rifled slugs at 100 yards. I got bruises.... When we became a rifle state I bought a 300 win mag, because I thought I needed it...I had little knowledge of rifle cartridges and what I REALLY needed. I'm now understanding placement and proper bullets, and I think I'd be just fine with a .243. The more rifles I've bought, and the more I've shot, I see that I shoot much better with low recoil. I could care less about noise. Shoot 3" slugs for most of your life without any hearing protection and a rifle boom doesn't bother you. I wear hearing protection now because I'm older, and not as stupid. My point is that it isn't that I need a brake on anything, it's just that I know I'll shoot better with one. I guess my goal is to shoot as good as I can, and to have to follow blood less...

Mu
I started shooting shotguns....Indiana wasn't a rifle state for hunting. I was able to hold 2" groups out of a field barrel with rifled slugs at 100 yards. I got bruises.... When we became a rifle state I bought a 300 win mag, because I thought I needed it...I had little knowledge of rifle cartridges and what I REALLY needed. I'm now understanding placement and proper bullets, and I think I'd be just fine with a .243. The more rifles I've bought, and the more I've shot, I see that I shoot much better with low recoil. I could care less about noise. Shoot 3" slugs for most of your life without any hearing protection and a rifle boom doesn't bother you. I wear hearing protection now because I'm older, and not as stupid. My point is that it isn't that I need a brake on anything, it's just that I know I'll shoot better with one. I guess my goal is to shoot as good as I can, and to have to follow blood less...
Must of my rifles have brakes. I'm Just saying with 6.5 creedmore it not absolutely necessary, but yes would be nice

I have an APA Little Bastard on an AR 6.5 creed and couldn't be happier. That is my 2nd most accurate rifle. You wouldn't believe that my Remington 770 300 win mag with a $200 redfield scope is my most accurate rifle, but it is... trying to find that accuracy in a less recoil rifle. My crap Remington shoots lots of ammo at 1/2 MOA. I paid $390 for the gun and a scope, and replaced the rings and scope, and am always still amazed. Talk about lucky... guess I'll never win the lottery...

Last edited:
I just got some MK Machining scope caps and they are very very nice. Tired of Butler creek caps and Vortex defenders keep falling off. These are on a whole other level.

I just got some MK Machining scope caps and they are very very nice. Tired of Butler creek caps and Vortex defenders keep falling off. These are on a whole other level.
The fact that these guys will make me caps if they don't have some speaks volumes. I guess they figure the Athlon Midas HMR is a popular enough scope, that by adding it they'll just be able to add to their arsenal and gain more business....

My Vortex defenders had electrical tape holding them onto the Vortex scope that they were supposed to fit perfectly....come on man...I sold that Weatherby as a rifle and scope combo on gunbroker this week. I just want better

Its looking like that better for me is a: Christiansen Arms Mesa 6.5 CM, with an Athlon Midas HMR, MK Machining caps, and Talley rings. I like to have a scope cover on too. I usually use the scope cover that is the same name as the scope, but Athlon doesn't make one. I don't want to put a scope cover for another brand of scope, just because, seems weird. What do you guys think is the best scope cover made by a non scope company?

Where are you going to hunt out west? Illumination is not needed and illegal in some states. Colorado has such tight shooting times, that you would never need it.

Where are you going to hunt out west? Illumination is not needed and illegal in some states. Colorado has such tight shooting times, that you would never need it.
99% in Indiana. Hoping to get a Colorado elk rifle tag, most likely will bow hunt there early before Indiana season starts. Waiting for covid to end so I can go with buddies. Illumination in dark woods and Indiana cloud filled November’s is very helpful. Indiana gets 30 min before and 30 min after sunrise/sunset... illumination helps a lot...

Last edited:
What do you guys think is the best scope cover made by a non scope company?
I've heard good things about MK Machining. I ordered a set from them for my ZCO, but I haven't been home to check them out. Tyler from MK was pretty active on here.

Received my CA Mesa this week and thought I’d share some pics. I lapped the Talley rings and mounted the scope today. I’m very happy with the Athlon Midas HMR. It’s a little heavy, but for the price and features, and glass, I’m not sure it can be beaten. I lapped the rings, and by the looks, may have over lapped. I put on a throw lever from MK Engineering, and am waiting on caps from aadmount. The fit, feel, and balance of this rifle is perfect for me. I’m really excited to brake in the barrel and see how well it’ll group.

Received my CA Mesa this week and thought I’d share some pics. I lapped the Talley rings and mounted the scope today. I’m very happy with the Athlon Midas HMR. It’s a little heavy, but for the price and features, and glass, I’m not sure it can be beaten. I lapped the rings, and by the looks, may have over lapped. I put on a throw lever from MK Engineering, and am waiting on caps from aadmount. The fit, feel, and balance of this rifle is perfect for me. I’m really excited to brake in the barrel and see how well it’ll group.
What made you choose to go with Aadamount? I hear they are top notch but communication is not good. I just ordered a set from @Tyler Kemp at MKmachining for my scope. He said it'd take about a week or so to build them.

Why did you lap the rings?

What made you choose to go with Aadamount? I hear they are top notch but communication is not good. I just ordered a set from @Tyler Kemp at MKmachining for my scope. He said it'd take about a week or so to build them.
Aadmount has been around forever and they just plain work

I plan to try a set of Tyler's eventually but need to see some usage on sets first

The big thing for me on the aadmount is the push/push. Not that it really makes much of a difference im just used to it

Reactions: SourMash
Aadmount has been around forever and they just plain work

I plan to try a set of Tyler's eventually but need to see some usage on sets first

The big thing for me on the aadmount is the push/push. Not that it really makes much of a difference im just used to it
Thanks for the insight
We're they 75$ for the pair?
Yes sir, plus 4.99 flat rate shipping. I have a few things from them already and its all been top quality so far.

Reactions: jpcowboy
I called and talked to Jon at Aadmount on 3/18, gave him my caliper measurements, and he said he’d have the caps added to the site sometime the following week. It’s been a week since he said he’d have it added to site with no word. I emailed him again with no response. I’ll give him until the end of next week, and if still no word I’ll order a set from MK. I ordered my throw levers from MK and they are top notch.

@HoosierHunter128 That's the only negative thing I hear about from him. I've heard his caps are the best but he has no communication with you. From my understanding, you send him your size and he makes it and sends it to you a couple of weeks later. I chose MK Machine for two reasons, past experience and great communication. Mine were were on backorder but he told me to get them ordered anyway. Now they'll be here Monday. You may want to give Aadmount a little more time because I bet they show up soon.