• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking at Sig Cross and Savage 110 Ultralight for hunting/long range in .308

kjeff91

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2018
Colorado Springs, Colorado
These are the two rifles that I’m considering right now, the Sig at $1250 ish and the Savage at $1175 ish. The main purpose of the rifle is primarily hunting in and then long range shooting (just for fun, not in comps or anything).

I like the Sig because it can be very compact, but what concerns me is the lack of reviews in .308 from such a short barrel. I love the folding stock, makes it super easy to carry around the woods and whatnot. My suppressor is also 9” long and weighs 24oz so the shorter barrel is less prone to barrel flex.

The Savage seems like an amazing deal with a Proof Research barrel. It is a lot longer than I’d like though, it’s only an inch shorter than the Sig barrel with the 9” suppressor. Overall it seems like one barrel is a littler shorter than I’d like, and one is a little too long.

The last thing I’m unsure about is how well some of these bullets will group at lower velocity. It looks like 168s will do about 2466 FPS and 175s will be almost to 2400 FPS.

If y’all have any input on either of these guns, that’d be greatly appreciated. I’m also open to other options too if you have something to recommend.

I bought a Savage UL in 6.5 CM as my first bolt gun, intended for backcountry hunting but I also shoot a lot at the range to train up.

It left a lot to be desired. As I learned more about long range shooting fundamentals and stock design/fit, I found myself wishing there was a clear path to a quality, lightweight stock upgrade. And I didn’t find much that excited me. I sent the first rifle back due to serious extraction/ejection problems right out of the box. Replacement rifle struggled with the same problems. After research and learning that is somewhat common to Savage actions, I tried aftermarket replacement parts to no avail.

I finally yanked the Proof barrel, installed it on an ARC Nucleus action in a KRG Bravo, and never looked back.

The Sig Cross was also on my short list at that time, but they were completely unavailable. I have since handled one, and liked the overall feel and features. I would love to own one in .308 or 6.5. It’s a modular design with room to adapt to future upgrades. 308 out of a short barrel can suit your needs just fine, you just need to be aware of the limitations for effective range on game.

Reactions: Hkmiller
I have bought both. I bought the savage ultralight for my kid and I have a sig cross in .308win. The savage is rough, but seems like a decent deal with the proof barrel, but haven't actually shot it yet. The sig cross shoots decent with factory ammo. Hovering around 1/2-3/4".

If I had to pick one. I like the sig a lot more then the Savage.

These are the two rifles that I’m considering right now, the Sig at $1250 ish and the Savage at $1175 ish. The main purpose of the rifle is primarily hunting in and then long range shooting (just for fun, not in comps or anything).

I like the Sig because it can be very compact, but what concerns me is the lack of reviews in .308 from such a short barrel.
I love the folding stock, makes it super easy to carry around the woods and whatnot. My suppressor is also 9” long and weighs 24oz so the shorter barrel is less prone to barrel flex.

The Savage seems like an amazing deal with a Proof Research barrel. It is a lot longer than I’d like though, it’s only an inch shorter than the Sig barrel with the 9” suppressor. Overall it seems like one barrel is a littler shorter than I’d like, and one is a little too long.

The last thing I’m unsure about is how well some of these bullets will group at lower velocity. It looks like 168s will do about 2466 FPS and 175s will be almost to 2400 FPS.

If y’all have any input on either of these guns, that’d be greatly appreciated. I’m also open to other options too if you have something to recommend.
There's an enormous amount of information both on this site and all over the internet talking about .308 performance in shorter barrels. You quote some speeds later in your post... you can definitely push those projectiles faster with reasonable handloads. If you want more specific advice here you should post about what exactly you plan to hunt and how far you want to be able to do it.

I have bought both. I bought the savage ultralight for my kid and I have a sig cross in .308win. The savage is rough, but seems like a decent deal with the proof barrel, but haven't actually shot it yet. The sig cross shoots decent with factory ammo. Hovering around 1/2-3/4".

If I had to pick one. I like the sig a lot more then the Savage.
Id be more than happy with those groups from the Cross for sure

I'm a pretty big savage fan because they have fit my budgets, shoot well, I can work on them easy and I like to tinker.

A lot of people talk about rough savage actions....all mine are silky smooth. I have fondled a couple at LGS that have not been as smooth.

In my eyes the cross and savage UL are in two totally different categories. One being a longer barrel light weight hunting rig and Cross being more versatile.

That being said....I'd go Sig Cross and in 6.5CM and never look back if your budget is $1500.

I have never fired a Cross but I have played with it and the Savage UL.

The Cross is light weight for a chassis setup, folds....and more importantly folds to the right OVER the bolt and the 60 degree bolt throw is AMAZING!!!! If you're not into 6.5cm .....now is your chance......now way I'd go .308 but that's me.

Only way the Savage UL would edge out a Cross in my eyes is if it was a dedicated LR hunting rig......in which case I'd go for a bigger Caliber than 6.5CM.

Additionally, I didn't even realize that Daniel Defense had gotten in PRS bolt action rifles......I fondled their Delta 5 or whatever it's called.....it's a heavy pig, action doesn't cycle as nice, has a single stage trigger (Cross has a NICE 2 stage), chassis is not monolithic like Cross and.....it's does NOT fold .......did I mention the DD is $2500 vs Cross $1500.

I handled whatever top tier rifle Weatherby makes and I was HIGHLY IMPRESSED!!! It was $3300 ish.....however....it had a carbon stock, carbon barrel and a 54 degree bolt throw.....chambered in their new 6.5 WBY RPM (think 30-06 that's 6.5mm). If your in the market for a light weight hunting rig and your budget allows...at least go check it out.

All that said.....I'd go Cross 6.5CM ......and that's coming from a guy with these lol
20220124_124130.jpg
20220124_123941.jpg
20220124_123951.jpg
20220124_124108.jpg
20220124_124052.jpg

I run all of these out of a Savage 10 short action.

.223, 6.5CM, 6.5 PRC, .338 Norma Mag (single feed, too long for mag feeding)